Vista-burned DVD on CD drive?

Rick

Vista-burned DVD on CD drive?
I feel like a complete fool. My Vista computer is my first computer with a
writeable CD or DVD drive and I'm therefore new to CD/DVD technology. I
just formatted a DVD disk to the 'Mastered' format, burned some files to it,
and then spent 15 minutes wondering why my old Win2k machine with its CD
drive (not DVD) couldn't read it. It then hit me: a CD drive can't read a
DVD. Oh brother.

Is there any way to format a DVD on a Vista machine so that it can be read
by a CD drive on an old Win2k machine? Or do I need to buy separate CD's?

Cal Bear '66

Re: Vista-burned DVD on CD drive?
No

As an aside, since you are new to CD\DVD burning it would be well worth you time
to read through the related topics in Vista's Help and Support.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Rick" <blue_no-spam-pls_heron3@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I feel like a complete fool. My Vista computer is my first computer with a
>writeable CD or DVD drive and I'm therefore new to CD/DVD technology. I just
>formatted a DVD disk to the 'Mastered' format, burned some files to it, and
>then spent 15 minutes wondering why my old Win2k machine with its CD drive (not
>DVD) couldn't read it. It then hit me: a CD drive can't read a DVD. Oh
>brother.
>
> Is there any way to format a DVD on a Vista machine so that it can be read by
> a CD drive on an old Win2k machine? Or do I need to buy separate CD's?

John

Re: Vista-burned DVD on CD drive?
Check the description of the CD/DVD drive you have in your computer. Many
times those drives will only write CDs but can read CDs and DVDs.
If you have a drive that can write both CDs and DVDs then you need to write
a CD disc for any other computer that can only read CDs.

"Rick" <blue_no-spam-pls_heron3@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I feel like a complete fool. My Vista computer is my first computer with a
>writeable CD or DVD drive and I'm therefore new to CD/DVD technology. I
>just formatted a DVD disk to the 'Mastered' format, burned some files to
>it, and then spent 15 minutes wondering why my old Win2k machine with its
>CD drive (not DVD) couldn't read it. It then hit me: a CD drive can't read
>a DVD. Oh brother.
>
> Is there any way to format a DVD on a Vista machine so that it can be read
> by a CD drive on an old Win2k machine? Or do I need to buy separate CD's?

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Vista-burned DVD on CD drive?

You might also want to look into burning as a Video CD (VCD) or Super Video
CD (SVCD), which may be much better suited for your purposes.

--
Speaking for myself only.