my digital image library suddenly has duplicates of everything!

Barbara Showell

my digital image library suddenly has duplicates of everything!
I've got it organized by timeline from 2001 till now, and suddenly there are
two files for every year with duplicate subfiles. The stuff inside the
subfiles does not appear the same....same pics but organized differently.
Recently downloaded my digital image suite onto a new vista system, photo's
are on an external hard drive. I am given the choice to delete the new
unwanted folders, but they don't delete. Any solution other than uninstall,
reinstall? Any idea why this happened?

Incidently, I don't think Vista alone is enough to replace digital suite. I
have used photoshop and paint shop pro, but for quick and easy editing and
especially quick easy projects I have loved picture it and digital imaging
suite. Sorry microsoft has quit it.
John Inzer

Re: my digital image library suddenly has duplicates of everything!
Barbara Showell wrote:
> I've got it organized by timeline from 2001 till now, and suddenly
> there are two files for every year with duplicate subfiles. The
> stuff inside the subfiles does not appear the same....same pics but
> organized differently. Recently downloaded my digital image suite
> onto a new vista system, photo's are on an external hard drive. I am
> given the choice to delete the new unwanted folders, but they don't
> delete. Any solution other than uninstall, reinstall? Any idea why
> this happened?
>
> Incidently, I don't think Vista alone is enough to replace digital
> suite. I have used photoshop and paint shop pro, but for quick and
> easy editing and especially quick easy projects I have loved picture
> it and digital imaging suite. Sorry microsoft has quit it.

Which version of Digital Image Suite are you running?

Do the duplicate folders appear in the DIS Library or
Vista Photo Gallery or both?

Did you move your DIS database from the previous
computer or did you recatalog your image collection?

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Barbara Showell

RE: my digital image library suddenly has duplicates of everything!

Digital Image Suite 2006 v.11.0.422.0

I had to reinstall everything on the new computer about a month after I had
it, and the second time I installed dis on there I did have to recatalog
everything.....come to think of it, it all popped up in order the first time
I installed. Thought it was wierd because although the external disc that
holds the photos does have it all in those folders in order and that should
stay the same no matter what program I use, the flags and labels came
through. On the second installation I had to relable stuff.

Also, the first time I installed, nothing came up on the Vista Gallery and I
chose what I wanted in there so I wouldn't have all those duplicate thumbs.
Now it appears the intire library is in the vista gallery, but not in
duplicate.

My main goal is not to have tons of duplicate stuff I don't need, even
though I did by outragous memory with this machine. I've got lots of years
of digital photography ahead.

Barbara Showell wrote:
> Digital Image Suite 2006 v.11.0.422.0
>
> I had to reinstall everything on the new computer about a month after
> I had it, and the second time I installed dis on there I did have to
> recatalog everything.....come to think of it, it all popped up in
> order the first time I installed. Thought it was wierd because
> although the external disc that holds the photos does have it all in
> those folders in order and that should stay the same no matter what
> program I use, the flags and labels came through. On the second
> installation I had to relable stuff.
>
> Also, the first time I installed, nothing came up on the Vista
> Gallery and I chose what I wanted in there so I wouldn't have all
> those duplicate thumbs. Now it appears the intire library is in the
> vista gallery, but not in duplicate.
>
> My main goal is not to have tons of duplicate stuff I don't need, even
> though I did by outragous memory with this machine. I've got lots of
> years of digital photography ahead.

=====================================
Ok....

#1) Download and Install the following Vista
Compatibility update:

MS Digital Image 2006
*Vista Compatibility* Update
http://tinyurl.com/w5u58
(This will update you to (V11.1.2018.0)

#2) You don't say where the duplicates are...
I'm guessing they are in Digital Image Library?

If you rename or delete the proprietary database...
it will revert the program to the way it was the
first time you opened it. And...you will have to
catalog your image collection again. You can
do the same with Vista Photo Gallery if you wish...
let me know if you need instructions for that.
Actually...if you are using Digital Image library...
I see no reason to use Vista Photo Gallery...
why have two libraries?

In Windows Vista...your Pictures.pd3
database file should be found at the
following location:

C:\Users\>username<\AppData\Local\
Microsoft\POD\Pictures.pd3

If you cannot find the file, it may be hidden.

On your Vista machine you can find your
database file with with an Advanced Search
for .pd3

Go to...Start / Search / Advanced Search.

Check the box..."Include non-indexed, hidden,
and system files" Enter .pd3 in the Name field
and left click the Search button.

You can delete the Pictures.pd3 file or just
rename it Pictures.OLD. The next time
you open the Library it will be as it was the
first time you opened it.

I would also suggest that you empty your
Temporary Internet Files folder:

Windows Vista
Delete Temporary Internet files
http://tinyurl.com/29jl5s

BTW...you can remove any or all folders from
Digital Image Library by:
Right Click / Remove From Library.

Then you can go to...Import / Find On My Computer...
and import any files you wish.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Barbara Showell

Re: my digital image library suddenly has duplicates of everything
Ok, got digital image all cleaned out. Pics still safe on drive G, nothing
in the library. Can't believe I have to tag them all again, but at least the
drive G is already in chronological folders so I don't have to reorganize
them all again.

I was putting them in vista's media center picture library because I like
that slide show, it's bigger, and I can use it as a screen saver from there
but not from DI. So now I am debating not using DI's library at all, I could
still use the editor for imaging and catalog with vista, correct? I've got a
trial version of Paint Shop Pro that I'd like to compare to Photoshop
elements, but I never got elements installed correctly and my trial time is
using up, hard to compare it without using it. Had it on the old puter
couple years ago before I had to delete it for needed space, I did like it
then.

I just really really wish microsoft hadn't ditched digital imaging. I've
used some form of picture it! since getting a computer and have really loved
it for editing quickly and easily and getting fairly advanced results. It
was the only real MIDDLE choice for photo editing, but now that it's no
longer an active project for microsoft I'm feeling like I ought to ditch it
and go on to either elements or PSP. Then I have to help all of the kids
everytime they want to play for a while.