Instructed to "Reinstall the Player" in Vista...

BK

Instructed to "Reinstall the Player" in Vista...
I tried to play a DRM-protected file (for which I have the appropriate
licenses) in Vista, and got the error message:

"Windows Media Player is not installed properly. Reinstall the Player."

When I click "Web Help", I get sent to a page which provides a download of
WMP 11 ... in XP, not Vista.

Vista came pre-installed on my laptop, and I think that the OS disc I have
is probably a rescue disc, not a standard Vista OS disc. And I know that a
download for WMP 11 for Vista isn't provided, since it's integrated into
Vista (note to Microsoft: this is why integrating applications into the OS is
a Bad Idea).

Any suggestions?
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Instructed to "Reinstall the Player" in Vista...

How did you get into this state? This generally means that the integrity of
system files has been violated. If you run "sfc /scannow" from an
administrative command prompt, does that show any issues... ?

--
Speaking for myself only.
"BK" <BK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to play a DRM-protected file (for which I have the appropriate
> licenses) in Vista, and got the error message:
>
> "Windows Media Player is not installed properly. Reinstall the Player."
>
> When I click "Web Help", I get sent to a page which provides a download of
> WMP 11 ... in XP, not Vista.
>
> Vista came pre-installed on my laptop, and I think that the OS disc I have
> is probably a rescue disc, not a standard Vista OS disc. And I know that
> download for WMP 11 for Vista isn't provided, since it's integrated into
> Vista (note to Microsoft: this is why integrating applications into the OS
> is
> a Bad Idea).
>
> Any suggestions?

BK

Re: Instructed to "Reinstall the Player" in Vista...
I ran sfc /scannow, and ended up with the message:

"Verification 98% complete.Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files
but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

In this case, CBS.log turned out to be a four-megabyte text file, which is
rather daunting for a non-programmer...

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> How did you get into this state? This generally means that the integrity of
> system files has been violated. If you run "sfc /scannow" from an
> administrative command prompt, does that show any issues... ?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> "BK" <BK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried to play a DRM-protected file (for which I have the appropriate
> > licenses) in Vista, and got the error message:
> >
> > "Windows Media Player is not installed properly. Reinstall the Player."
> >
> > When I click "Web Help", I get sent to a page which provides a download of
> > WMP 11 ... in XP, not Vista.
> >
> > Vista came pre-installed on my laptop, and I think that the OS disc I have
> > is probably a rescue disc, not a standard Vista OS disc. And I know that
> > download for WMP 11 for Vista isn't provided, since it's integrated into
> > Vista (note to Microsoft: this is why integrating applications into the OS
> > is
> > a Bad Idea).
> >
> > Any suggestions?

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Instructed to "Reinstall the Player" in Vista...

That indicates that your install of Vista is corrupt, which is outside the
bounds of what I'd be able to help you sort out quickly. The best bets at
this point are to reinstall Vista or to contact actual product support and
have them work with you on this. They'd probably analyze that file and tell
you to reinstall Vista, I imagine. =\