Media file types - can't reassign except one-by-one, manually.

abuck

Media file types - can't reassign except one-by-one, manually.
I have spent the better part of an hour trying to reassign several file types
to my 3rd party media player programs, and so far the only solution I have
found is to manually reassign each file type by hand, which would take a
ridiculous amount of time. Windows Media Player 11 does not seem to be
uninstallable, furthering this issue. I am extremely tired of having to deal
with this horrible media player and the URGE media purchasing service that I
also can't seem to remove. I request that a solution be made available for
removing WMP 11's monopolistic death grip from my system, other than
reassigning all of the file types manually and still having Windows Media
Player and URGE show up annoyingly at random occasions. I have tried
reassigning these file types with the separate programs that I intended to
use, but it fails completely as there seems to be something in the background
refusing to let these file types be reassigned automatically. I have also
tried using Default Programs, but this seemingly has no effect except for
removal of shortcuts in the start menu, which I could have done faster by
hand. Normally, I would have let Windows Media Player reside on my system,
but it has caused such a headache that I never wish to see this particular
program again, so an uninstall facility would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading.
P. Di Stolfo

Re: Media file types - can't reassign except one-by-one, manually.
Hello,

with RealPlayer, QuickTime and VLC Media player, I've always found a window
in setup that let me choose which extensions should be linked to these
programs.
Such a feature should normally be integrated into the programs.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language

"abuck" <abuck@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I have spent the better part of an hour trying to reassign several file
>types
> to my 3rd party media player programs, and so far the only solution I have
> found is to manually reassign each file type by hand, which would take a
> ridiculous amount of time. Windows Media Player 11 does not seem to be
> uninstallable, furthering this issue. I am extremely tired of having to
> deal
> with this horrible media player and the URGE media purchasing service that
> also can't seem to remove. I request that a solution be made available for
> removing WMP 11's monopolistic death grip from my system, other than
> reassigning all of the file types manually and still having Windows Media
> Player and URGE show up annoyingly at random occasions. I have tried
> reassigning these file types with the separate programs that I intended to
> use, but it fails completely as there seems to be something in the
> background
> refusing to let these file types be reassigned automatically. I have also
> tried using Default Programs, but this seemingly has no effect except for
> removal of shortcuts in the start menu, which I could have done faster by
> hand. Normally, I would have let Windows Media Player reside on my system,
> but it has caused such a headache that I never wish to see this particular
> program again, so an uninstall facility would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you for reading.

abuck

Re: Media file types - can't reassign except one-by-one, manually.
I tried reassigning them with two different 3rd party programs, but both
failed. The other file types they tried to assign to themselves worked fine,
though; it would appear that something is keeping the other programs from
properly assigning the file types.

"P. Di Stolfo" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> with RealPlayer, QuickTime and VLC Media player, I've always found a window
> in setup that let me choose which extensions should be linked to these
> programs.
> Such a feature should normally be integrated into the programs.
>
> Greetings,
> P. Di Stolfo
>
> --
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "abuck" <abuck@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >I have spent the better part of an hour trying to reassign several file
> >types
> > to my 3rd party media player programs, and so far the only solution I have
> > found is to manually reassign each file type by hand, which would take a
> > ridiculous amount of time. Windows Media Player 11 does not seem to be
> > uninstallable, furthering this issue. I am extremely tired of having to
> > deal
> > with this horrible media player and the URGE media purchasing service that
> > also can't seem to remove. I request that a solution be made available for
> > removing WMP 11's monopolistic death grip from my system, other than
> > reassigning all of the file types manually and still having Windows Media
> > Player and URGE show up annoyingly at random occasions. I have tried
> > reassigning these file types with the separate programs that I intended to
> > use, but it fails completely as there seems to be something in the
> > background
> > refusing to let these file types be reassigned automatically. I have also
> > tried using Default Programs, but this seemingly has no effect except for
> > removal of shortcuts in the start menu, which I could have done faster by
> > hand. Normally, I would have let Windows Media Player reside on my system,
> > but it has caused such a headache that I never wish to see this particular
> > program again, so an uninstall facility would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you for reading.

dean-dean

Re: Media file types - can't reassign except one-by-one, manually.
Try running the program that you are using to change default associations
for a certain media type, in its options dialog, by right-clicking its
shortcut, and choosing Run as Administrator. Do they "stick" after that?

"abuck" <abuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried reassigning them with two different 3rd party programs, but both
> failed. The other file types they tried to assign to themselves worked
> fine,
> though; it would appear that something is keeping the other programs from
> properly assigning the file types.
>
> "P. Di Stolfo" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> with RealPlayer, QuickTime and VLC Media player, I've always found a
>> window
>> in setup that let me choose which extensions should be linked to these
>> programs.
>> Such a feature should normally be integrated into the programs.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> P. Di Stolfo
>>
>> --
>> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
>> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> "abuck" <abuck@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> >I have spent the better part of an hour trying to reassign several file
>> >types
>> > to my 3rd party media player programs, and so far the only solution I
>> > have
>> > found is to manually reassign each file type by hand, which would take
>> > ridiculous amount of time. Windows Media Player 11 does not seem to be
>> > uninstallable, furthering this issue. I am extremely tired of having to
>> > deal
>> > with this horrible media player and the URGE media purchasing service
>> > that
>> > also can't seem to remove. I request that a solution be made available
>> > for
>> > removing WMP 11's monopolistic death grip from my system, other than
>> > reassigning all of the file types manually and still having Windows
>> > Media
>> > Player and URGE show up annoyingly at random occasions. I have tried
>> > reassigning these file types with the separate programs that I intended
>> > use, but it fails completely as there seems to be something in the
>> > background
>> > refusing to let these file types be reassigned automatically. I have
>> > also
>> > tried using Default Programs, but this seemingly has no effect except
>> > for
>> > removal of shortcuts in the start menu, which I could have done faster
>> > by
>> > hand. Normally, I would have let Windows Media Player reside on my
>> > system,
>> > but it has caused such a headache that I never wish to see this
>> > particular
>> > program again, so an uninstall facility would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thank you for reading.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Media file types - can't reassign except one-by-one, manually.

Which exact application are you trying to use? It sounds like they aren't
Vista-compatible. This really isn't too hard for them to fix.

WMP-Vista generally leaves file associations to the system to control. Note
WMP doesn't even have a File Types menu anymore. I want YOU to be in
control of your associations. The sole problem here from the description
you've given is that your other application a) isn't Vista-compatible
(LUA/UAC will block file association code from running in the method you
seem to indicate) and b) isn't registered for Vista's default programs.

So: what application are you trying to use here? It's actually really easy
to register for Vista's Default Programs. If you can either have the owners
of that application add this, contact me, or me contact them, I think that'd
get you what you want.

I've got a basic template somewhere, but it won't work without knowing the
specifics of their application registration. It would likely take them less
than an hour to fix this, and that means that not only you but everyone else
would enjoy that other application that much more. =)

-Zach
--
Speaking for myself only.