Importing WMV into Windows Movie Maker 6.0 (Vista)

kjh888

Importing WMV into Windows Movie Maker 6.0 (Vista)
I receive the following error message when trying to import WMV files into
WMM Version 6.0 for Windows Vista:

"The file xxxxx.WMV cannot be imported because the codec required to play
the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to
download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and
then try to import the file again."

The files that I'm trying to import play perfectly well in WMP, so I must
have the codecs installed!

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Adam Albright

Re: Importing WMV into Windows Movie Maker 6.0 (Vista)
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:48:03 -0700, kjh888
<kjh888@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I receive the following error message when trying to import WMV files into
>WMM Version 6.0 for Windows Vista:
>
>"The file xxxxx.WMV cannot be imported because the codec required to play
>the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to
>download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and
>then try to import the file again."
>
>The files that I'm trying to import play perfectly well in WMP, so I must
>have the codecs installed!
>
>Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Don't expect any MS employee to explain why a file plays fine in Media
player and the same file won't play in Movie Maker. I've asked, others
have asked, stone silence or some feeble excuse is all they offer.

Graham Hughes

Re: Importing WMV into Windows Movie Maker 6.0 (Vista)
Where did the wmv file come from?
Is this the only wmv file you have trouble with?

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"kjh888" <kjh888@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I receive the following error message when trying to import WMV files into
> WMM Version 6.0 for Windows Vista:
>
> "The file xxxxx.WMV cannot be imported because the codec required to play
> the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to
> download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and
> then try to import the file again."
>
> The files that I'm trying to import play perfectly well in WMP, so I must
> have the codecs installed!
>
> Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

SNX11

"kjh888" wrote:

> I receive the following error message when trying to import WMV files into
> WMM Version 6.0 for Windows Vista:
>
> "The file xxxxx.WMV cannot be imported because the codec required to play
> the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to
> download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and
> then try to import the file again."
>
> The files that I'm trying to import play perfectly well in WMP, so I must
> have the codecs installed!
>
> Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

where do i install the codec from?
Adam Albright

Re: Importing WMV into Windows Movie Maker 6.0 (Vista)
On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 06:46:00 -0700, SNX11
<SNX11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"kjh888" wrote:
>
>> I receive the following error message when trying to import WMV files into
>> WMM Version 6.0 for Windows Vista:
>>
>> "The file xxxxx.WMV cannot be imported because the codec required to play
>> the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to
>> download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and
>> then try to import the file again."
>>
>> The files that I'm trying to import play perfectly well in WMP, so I must
>> have the codecs installed!
>>
>> Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

>where do i install the codec from?

The following web page may be informative.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...vice/0096.mspx

One reason some video files play in Microsoft's Media Player and not
in Microsoft's Movie is maker is due to the method used. Media Player
uses traditional codecs. Movie Maker may use DirectShow filters. See
the section titled "What can I do when I get a message that states a
problem exists with my video filter?" on above link.