Importing photos

Sammy Bennet

Importing photos
Like many others I find the photo import facility in Vista (Business) a
frustrating step back from XP. The most annoying feature for me is that Vista
creates a new folder every time I import any photos, changing this does not
appear to be an option. Because of the way I work this may often be 1 photo,
and I really do not need hundreds of new folders contaiining 1 or 2 photos.
As a result I have been reduced to navigating to the camera and copying the
files to a folder of my choice. A very unsatisfactory method that takes about
20% longer than using the XP photo import.
Another less than endearing feature of Vista: Not impressed.
Tom from WI

Re: Importing photos
I would guess that the great majority of people take the flash card out of
the camera and plug it in their media reader panel or buy a USB connector
for their type of flash card. This doesn't use any camera power and is a
much easier way to process your pictures. The flash card looks like another
disk drive to Windows (all flavors).
Tom

"Sammy Bennet" <SammyBennet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Like many others I find the photo import facility in Vista (Business) a
> frustrating step back from XP. The most annoying feature for me is that
> Vista
> creates a new folder every time I import any photos, changing this does
> not
> appear to be an option. Because of the way I work this may often be 1
> photo,
> and I really do not need hundreds of new folders contaiining 1 or 2
> photos.
> As a result I have been reduced to navigating to the camera and copying
> the
> files to a folder of my choice. A very unsatisfactory method that takes
> about
> 20% longer than using the XP photo import.
> Another less than endearing feature of Vista: Not impressed.

Sammy Bennet

Re: Importing photos
Tom,
The majority (all but one) people I know, download their photos using the
USB cable supplied with their camera. Indeed my current camera manual
recommends using the cable, the less one handles cards the better.
Surely the successor to the most widely used operating system in the world
should still be able to connect to a digital camera at least as well as its
predecessor?

"Tom from WI" wrote:

> I would guess that the great majority of people take the flash card out of
> the camera and plug it in their media reader panel or buy a USB connector
> for their type of flash card. This doesn't use any camera power and is a
> much easier way to process your pictures. The flash card looks like another
> disk drive to Windows (all flavors).
> Tom
>
> "Sammy Bennet" <SammyBennet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Like many others I find the photo import facility in Vista (Business) a
> > frustrating step back from XP. The most annoying feature for me is that
> > Vista
> > creates a new folder every time I import any photos, changing this does
> > not
> > appear to be an option. Because of the way I work this may often be 1
> > photo,
> > and I really do not need hundreds of new folders contaiining 1 or 2
> > photos.
> > As a result I have been reduced to navigating to the camera and copying
> > the
> > files to a folder of my choice. A very unsatisfactory method that takes
> > about
> > 20% longer than using the XP photo import.
> > Another less than endearing feature of Vista: Not impressed.

PapaJohn

Re: Importing photos
I'm with Sammy....

with various cameras and card types... and different computers with
different card readers (or none)... the cameras and computers align much
more on the USB connections than they do on the memory cards.

I used to do card readers, but the new card types kept leapfrogging ahead of
my readers... and spending a day fishing a new smaller type memory stick out
of a laptop port not designed to take it did a lot to jog me into my current
routine of using a USB cable.

PapaJohn

> Tom,
> The majority (all but one) people I know, download their photos using the
> USB cable supplied with their camera. Indeed my current camera manual
> recommends using the cable, the less one handles cards the better.
> Surely the successor to the most widely used operating system in the world
> should still be able to connect to a digital camera at least as well as
> its
> predecessor?
>
> "Tom from WI" wrote:
>
>> I would guess that the great majority of people take the flash card out
>> of
>> the camera and plug it in their media reader panel or buy a USB connector
>> for their type of flash card. This doesn't use any camera power and is a
>> much easier way to process your pictures. The flash card looks like
>> another
>> disk drive to Windows (all flavors).
>> Tom
>>
>> "Sammy Bennet" <SammyBennet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Like many others I find the photo import facility in Vista (Business) a
>> > frustrating step back from XP. The most annoying feature for me is that
>> > Vista
>> > creates a new folder every time I import any photos, changing this does
>> > not
>> > appear to be an option. Because of the way I work this may often be 1
>> > photo,
>> > and I really do not need hundreds of new folders contaiining 1 or 2
>> > photos.
>> > As a result I have been reduced to navigating to the camera and copying
>> > the
>> > files to a folder of my choice. A very unsatisfactory method that takes
>> > about
>> > 20% longer than using the XP photo import.
>> > Another less than endearing feature of Vista: Not impressed.

Tom from WI

Re: Importing photos
I download about 200 5MB pictures at a time and it seems like (but I don't
really know) like a lot of battery time for the camera. Since I don't change
cameras that often, finding the slot on my PC has not been that difficult. I
have heard many people at the PC Users Group I attend complain about the
USB/camera connection not working, and almost all of them are still on
WinXP. So it may not be just a Vista problem.
Tom

"PapaJohn" <papajohn@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> I'm with Sammy....
>
> with various cameras and card types... and different computers with
> different card readers (or none)... the cameras and computers align much
> more on the USB connections than they do on the memory cards.
>
> I used to do card readers, but the new card types kept leapfrogging ahead
> of my readers... and spending a day fishing a new smaller type memory
> stick out of a laptop port not designed to take it did a lot to jog me
> into my current routine of using a USB cable.
> --
> website references are to www.papajohn.org
>
> PapaJohn
>

> "Sammy Bennet" <SammyBennet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Tom,
>> The majority (all but one) people I know, download their photos using the
>> USB cable supplied with their camera. Indeed my current camera manual
>> recommends using the cable, the less one handles cards the better.
>> Surely the successor to the most widely used operating system in the
>> world
>> should still be able to connect to a digital camera at least as well as
>> its
>> predecessor?
>>
>> "Tom from WI" wrote:
>>
>>> I would guess that the great majority of people take the flash card out
>>> of
>>> the camera and plug it in their media reader panel or buy a USB
>>> connector
>>> for their type of flash card. This doesn't use any camera power and is a
>>> much easier way to process your pictures. The flash card looks like
>>> another
>>> disk drive to Windows (all flavors).
>>> Tom

Greg

Re: Importing photos
I have found Vista Photo Gallery totally unreliable and even dangerous to
data. On several occasions it has corrupted my jpgs when downloading over a
network to another USB device. And it overwrites Olympus Camedia panorama
markers with its own markers, thus making them unstitchable in the Olympus
software. You also cannot preview and choose which photos to download in
order to put some in one folder and others in another - it's all or nothing,
which is a major step backwards from XP. Unbelievable that MS can sell this
unfinished product. I no longer use Photo Gallery and either use Adobe Album
or just use the folders to drag and drop them onto the hard drive.

Re the problem with batteries while downloading, just buy a transformer pack
for your camera - I plug it into that and then don't have to worry about it
going flat in the middle of a download.

"Sammy Bennet" <SammyBennet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Like many others I find the photo import facility in Vista (Business) a
> frustrating step back from XP. The most annoying feature for me is that
> Vista
> creates a new folder every time I import any photos, changing this does
> not
> appear to be an option. Because of the way I work this may often be 1
> photo,
> and I really do not need hundreds of new folders contaiining 1 or 2
> photos.
> As a result I have been reduced to navigating to the camera and copying
> the
> files to a folder of my choice. A very unsatisfactory method that takes
> about
> 20% longer than using the XP photo import.
> Another less than endearing feature of Vista: Not impressed.

Sammy Bennet

RE: Importing photos
Ha! just when I thought things could not get worse, Vista came up trumps
again. Occasionally when I drop files from the camera into a folder on my PC,
the thumbnails appear overlapping files already in the folder. This is great
because after you close the folder it won't open again! Aaaaaaaaaagh I hate
Vista.
Fortunately after restarting a couple of times I have been able to get back
into the folder and everything has been OK.
Oh, another thing, don't try to delete the files on the camera from
'Computer' unless you have time to waste.