Playing uncompressed AVI files

Fernando

Playing uncompressed AVI files
Using CCS64 (Commodore 64 Emulator), I captured an AVI file. CCS64 captures
uncompressed AVI (huge) files that doesn't require an specific codec.
I have no problem playing the file on Windows XP (except for being slow...)
with Windows Media 10, however there is no video displayed if I try to open
it in Windows Vista with Windows Media 11 (Ultimate, x64). The error
specifies that I need a codec Y6 (which does not exist)

Isn't this a problem that needs to be fixed?
Is there a hotfix available?

Thanks.
Adam Albright

Re: Playing uncompressed AVI files
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:26:02 -0700, Fernando
<Fernando@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Using CCS64 (Commodore 64 Emulator), I captured an AVI file. CCS64 captures
>uncompressed AVI (huge) files that doesn't require an specific codec.
>I have no problem playing the file on Windows XP (except for being slow...)
>with Windows Media 10, however there is no video displayed if I try to open
>it in Windows Vista with Windows Media 11 (Ultimate, x64). The error
>specifies that I need a codec Y6 (which does not exist)
>
>Isn't this a problem that needs to be fixed?
>Is there a hotfix available?
>
>Thanks.

A lot of people get confused with AVI files. Unlike other file types
like MPEG, a AVI is really just a wrapper. In other words a container
where some more specific file type can lurk inside. Smarter players
know how to look inside a AVI wrapper and understand what the file
type REALLY is. Sadly Microsoft doesn't write very smart graphical
software.

If you play a lot of "AVI" files, take a couple minutes to download
and install a nifty little free program called GSpot. Funny name, but
very useful. It will open most AVI wrappers and tell you what file
type is really inside and more importantly what codecs on your system
if any should be able to play it. At least you learn what codec the
file was rendered in so you may be able to fine a codec on the web.

I suspect your particular problem may be the file is really some
flavor of DivX. If so, you need a free codec from the DivX site, then
Media Player may be able to play it. If not and it is a DivX they have
a free DivX player,plus other way better players like GOM Player can
play DivX files fine.

Fernando

Re: Playing uncompressed AVI files
As I said before, this AVI file is uncompressed. It doesn't have a FOURCC
string, and doesn't require an specific codec. This files I think are called:
Full-Frame (Uncompressed)

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:26:02 -0700, Fernando
> <Fernando@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Using CCS64 (Commodore 64 Emulator), I captured an AVI file. CCS64 captures
> >uncompressed AVI (huge) files that doesn't require an specific codec.
> >I have no problem playing the file on Windows XP (except for being slow...)
> >with Windows Media 10, however there is no video displayed if I try to open
> >it in Windows Vista with Windows Media 11 (Ultimate, x64). The error
> >specifies that I need a codec Y6 (which does not exist)
> >
> >Isn't this a problem that needs to be fixed?
> >Is there a hotfix available?
> >
> >Thanks.

Fernando

Re: Playing uncompressed AVI files
Just to let you know, that I did donwload GSpot 2.70a, to confirm what I told
you before.

http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nocodecsf9.jpg

It is a RGB Raw bitmap and doesn't require a Codec.

So why does Windows Vista/MP11 doesn't find the codec for a file that
doesn't require a codec?

PapaJohn

Re: Playing uncompressed AVI files
I just made an uncompressed AVI file using VirtualDub and it played fine in
WMP11 on my XP laptop and my new Vista Home Basic one.

PapaJohn

news4A1FA11-3B3F-41B2-BA80-04AD7453EA8A@microsoft.com...