Movie & DVD Maker, Windows Media Player

Skeets024

Movie & DVD Maker, Windows Media Player
I need some help. I have a new Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop with Vista Home
Premium.

I imported video from my Sony HDD SR40 without a problem.
I then created a movie using movie maker without a problem.
Then I tried to publish the movie to DVD and can not do it! It either
freezes about midway through the encoding or at the midway point it gives me
an error and says that it can not burn the dvd. I checked the
troubleshooting guide and followed the suggestions. I changed the burn speed
to medium and then to slow without any luck. I checked the drivers on the
dvd burner, and it said they were all up to date. It also said that if you
can't play it on Windows Media Player, then it can't burn using DVD Maker.
So I tried to play it on WMP and cannot. Why is something created by one
Windows program not supported by another?

I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me. I can't imagine that
I'm the only one this is happening to.

Skeets024

RE: Movie & DVD Maker, Windows Media Player
Should I publish to my computer first and then burn it to DVD? Or should I
just acquire another program?

"Skeets024" wrote:

> I need some help. I have a new Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop with Vista Home
> Premium.
>
> I imported video from my Sony HDD SR40 without a problem.
> I then created a movie using movie maker without a problem.
> Then I tried to publish the movie to DVD and can not do it! It either
> freezes about midway through the encoding or at the midway point it gives me
> an error and says that it can not burn the dvd. I checked the
> troubleshooting guide and followed the suggestions. I changed the burn speed
> to medium and then to slow without any luck. I checked the drivers on the
> dvd burner, and it said they were all up to date. It also said that if you
> can't play it on Windows Media Player, then it can't burn using DVD Maker.
> So I tried to play it on WMP and cannot. Why is something created by one
> Windows program not supported by another?
>
> I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me. I can't imagine that
> I'm the only one this is happening to.

Adam Albright

Re: Movie & DVD Maker, Windows Media Player
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 07:12:03 -0700, Skeets024
<Skeets024@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I need some help. I have a new Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop with Vista Home
>Premium.
>
>I imported video from my Sony HDD SR40 without a problem.
>I then created a movie using movie maker without a problem.
>Then I tried to publish the movie to DVD and can not do it! It either
>freezes about midway through the encoding or at the midway point it gives me
>an error and says that it can not burn the dvd. I checked the
>troubleshooting guide and followed the suggestions. I changed the burn speed
>to medium and then to slow without any luck. I checked the drivers on the
>dvd burner, and it said they were all up to date. It also said that if you
>can't play it on Windows Media Player, then it can't burn using DVD Maker.
>So I tried to play it on WMP and cannot. Why is something created by one
>Windows program not supported by another?

A good question and one always dodged by MS employees that post here.

>I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me. I can't imagine that
>I'm the only one this is happening to.

Short answer: DUMP both Movie Maker and DVD Maker. My opinion, both
are toys. If all you're ever going to use either for is to play around
just to see how to make a video or DVD, then they're fine. However if
you're serious about making videos and burring DVDs it seems pointless
to me to waste time fiddling around with either since this newsgroup
and others are filled to overflowing with all kinds of issues both
cause.

Surprise, both making videos and burning DVDs if done correctly can be
a pretty complex task. Therefore it makes sense to use applications
designed from the ground up for that purpose. While both Movie Maker
and DVD Maker work, sort of, they are clunky at best.

At the heart of any application that is capable of editing,
transcoding videos is the decoder/ encoder often called CODEC. They
are not all created equal. This is what takes your raw source files
and converts (transcodes) them into a compliant file type (MPEG-2)
that can be used as source files to ultimately burn a DVD. Some of the
best software based MPEG-2 encoders come from a German company named
Main Concept.

http://www.mainconcept.com/site/

The reason I often recommend the Sony's Vegas line of video editing
products is they use Main concept encoders and their software is
professional grade, even their watered down consumer entry level Home
Studio products are based on the powerful Vegas engine.

So it boils down to this. Just playing with videos, then the included
Microsoft "tools" is good enough. If you're serious about your videos
get a REAL application, once you try them you'll never use Movie Maker
again.