Pictures in folders

Carol

Pictures in folders
for my casio folder I cannot see the jpgs unless I click on "compatibility
files". So if I want to insert a picture from the folder in an Outlook email
I must first copy the jpg to the "Pictures" folder. When I had XP this was
not necessary. Any suggestions?? It's a lot of extra work in Vista to do
what I use to do. So far Vista is not high oin my list.
Dave

Re: Pictures in folders
That's because you, or a Casio program is trying to store files in Vista
using the XP file structure.
Vista has a different structure and won't allow files to be stored in
certain locations, and will store them elsewhere, as you are finding out.
Do not try to use the old XP standard "My" folders, either.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Vistas...alization.aspx

"Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> for my casio folder I cannot see the jpgs unless I click on "compatibility
> files". So if I want to insert a picture from the folder in an Outlook
> email
> I must first copy the jpg to the "Pictures" folder. When I had XP this
> was
> not necessary. Any suggestions?? It's a lot of extra work in Vista to do
> what I use to do. So far Vista is not high oin my list.

Carol

Re: Pictures in folders
Thanks - I have a better understanding, however how can I upload pictures
using Outlook as the "Virtual Store" cannot be located when using Outlook and
you cannot click on compatiility files using outlook.

Thanks

"Dave" wrote:

> That's because you, or a Casio program is trying to store files in Vista
> using the XP file structure.
> Vista has a different structure and won't allow files to be stored in
> certain locations, and will store them elsewhere, as you are finding out.
> Do not try to use the old XP standard "My" folders, either.

> http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Vistas...alization.aspx
>

> "Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > for my casio folder I cannot see the jpgs unless I click on "compatibility
> > files". So if I want to insert a picture from the folder in an Outlook
> > email
> > I must first copy the jpg to the "Pictures" folder. When I had XP this
> > was
> > not necessary. Any suggestions?? It's a lot of extra work in Vista to do
> > what I use to do. So far Vista is not high oin my list.

dean-dean

Re: Pictures in folders
Can you use your Casio program, in its preferences/options, to change the
default location it uses for your photo folder to, say, C:\Users\(Your
Name)\Pictures? In that folder they won't be virtualized, and your other
programs should have no problem finding them there also.

"Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news784B12B-674D-4E8C-806E-5CBEA2064D03@microsoft.com...
> Thanks - I have a better understanding, however how can I upload pictures
> using Outlook as the "Virtual Store" cannot be located when using Outlook
> and
> you cannot click on compatiility files using outlook.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> That's because you, or a Casio program is trying to store files in Vista
>> using the XP file structure.
>> Vista has a different structure and won't allow files to be stored in
>> certain locations, and will store them elsewhere, as you are finding out.
>> Do not try to use the old XP standard "My" folders, either.

>> http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Vistas...alization.aspx
>>

>> "Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > for my casio folder I cannot see the jpgs unless I click on
>> > "compatibility
>> > files". So if I want to insert a picture from the folder in an Outlook
>> > email
>> > I must first copy the jpg to the "Pictures" folder. When I had XP this
>> > was
>> > not necessary. Any suggestions?? It's a lot of extra work in Vista to
>> > do
>> > what I use to do. So far Vista is not high oin my list.

Carol

Re: Pictures in folders
thanks!! I had to move all the jpg files, which took awhile but they are all
"seeable" and in the future will be downloaded to the user folder...
thanks!!!!

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Can you use your Casio program, in its preferences/options, to change the
> default location it uses for your photo folder to, say, C:\Users\(Your
> Name)\Pictures? In that folder they won't be virtualized, and your other
> programs should have no problem finding them there also.
>

> "Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news784B12B-674D-4E8C-806E-5CBEA2064D03@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks - I have a better understanding, however how can I upload pictures
> > using Outlook as the "Virtual Store" cannot be located when using Outlook
> > and
> > you cannot click on compatiility files using outlook.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Dave" wrote:
> >
> >> That's because you, or a Casio program is trying to store files in Vista
> >> using the XP file structure.
> >> Vista has a different structure and won't allow files to be stored in
> >> certain locations, and will store them elsewhere, as you are finding out.
> >> Do not try to use the old XP standard "My" folders, either.
> >>
> >> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2124519,00.asp
> >>
> >> http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Vistas...alization.aspx

dean-dean

Re: Pictures in folders
Great. Too, you've just made Windows Photo Gallery (Start Menu>All
Programs) very happy. If you open that program, it has options for
importing pictures from your camera, as well (click on File > Options, in
the menu). Yes, the path to the virtualized folder is normally hidden,
making a sub-folder of the C:\Program Files folder a not-so-good choice for
saved Documents, Pictures, Music, etc., and causing other programs, not
involved in putting those kinds of files there, not to find them.

> thanks!! I had to move all the jpg files, which took awhile but they are
> all
> "seeable" and in the future will be downloaded to the user folder...
> thanks!!!!
>

> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Can you use your Casio program, in its preferences/options, to change the
>> default location it uses for your photo folder to, say, C:\Users\(Your
>> Name)\Pictures? In that folder they won't be virtualized, and your other
>> programs should have no problem finding them there also.
>>

>> "Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news784B12B-674D-4E8C-806E-5CBEA2064D03@microsoft.com...
>> > Thanks - I have a better understanding, however how can I upload
>> > pictures
>> > using Outlook as the "Virtual Store" cannot be located when using
>> > Outlook
>> > and
>> > you cannot click on compatiility files using outlook.
>> >
>> > Thanks

Carol

Re: Pictures in folders
Thanks - Perhaps once I get accustomed to Vista and learn all the changes I
will appreciate it.

Again thanks for the advice.