No right channel output

avitas157

No right channel output
I've been having a problem with my audio since I bought my computer with
Vista installed back in March. I can't get any output from the right channel
when I connect my computer to my amp via a 3.5mm jack. I know it's not my
wire or my amp because it works fine when I connect my I-Pod with the same
cord into the same input. The built in computer speakers work fine. The
thing that stumps me the most is, i recently bought a second cord (just in
case, even thought the old one was working fine with the I-Pod), and it
worked for a couple of days, then without making any noticable changes, I was
back to having the same problem. I believe I have a Realtek High Definitaion
Audio sound card (that is what is listed under the Sound, video.. in my
device manager).

As you can probably tell, I don't know much about computers, so even the
most obvious suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
JW

Re: No right channel output
The problem may be that there are 2 wire and 3 wire 3.5mm plugs and it
sounds like you only have a 2 wire plug and connection that you are using to
your amp. A three wire plug normally has a black insulator separating the
two parts of the center part of the plug.
"avitas157" <avitas157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been having a problem with my audio since I bought my computer with
> Vista installed back in March. I can't get any output from the right
> channel
> when I connect my computer to my amp via a 3.5mm jack. I know it's not my
> wire or my amp because it works fine when I connect my I-Pod with the same
> cord into the same input. The built in computer speakers work fine. The
> thing that stumps me the most is, i recently bought a second cord (just in
> case, even thought the old one was working fine with the I-Pod), and it
> worked for a couple of days, then without making any noticable changes, I
> was
> back to having the same problem. I believe I have a Realtek High
> Definitaion
> Audio sound card (that is what is listed under the Sound, video.. in my
> device manager).
>
> As you can probably tell, I don't know much about computers, so even the
> most obvious suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

avitas157

Re: No right channel output
My wire has two black insulators splitting the jack into 3 parts. It looks
almost identical to this:

http://www.tkocss.com/catalog/41_1_540_1.JPG

the only noticable difference being that the metallics are gold colored.
Could that still be the problem?

Thanks for the response.

"JW" wrote:

> The problem may be that there are 2 wire and 3 wire 3.5mm plugs and it
> sounds like you only have a 2 wire plug and connection that you are using to
> your amp. A three wire plug normally has a black insulator separating the
> two parts of the center part of the plug.
> "avitas157" <avitas157@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been having a problem with my audio since I bought my computer with
> > Vista installed back in March. I can't get any output from the right
> > channel
> > when I connect my computer to my amp via a 3.5mm jack. I know it's not my
> > wire or my amp because it works fine when I connect my I-Pod with the same
> > cord into the same input. The built in computer speakers work fine. The
> > thing that stumps me the most is, i recently bought a second cord (just in
> > case, even thought the old one was working fine with the I-Pod), and it
> > worked for a couple of days, then without making any noticable changes, I
> > was
> > back to having the same problem. I believe I have a Realtek High
> > Definitaion
> > Audio sound card (that is what is listed under the Sound, video.. in my
> > device manager).
> >
> > As you can probably tell, I don't know much about computers, so even the
> > most obvious suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

JW

Re: No right channel output
You apparently have the correct connector.