Media Player Starts Automatically, All the time

adam.hodge

Media Player Starts Automatically, All the time
On my Vista box media player is starting in the background without being asked. How can I prevent this? It starts up and sucks cpu. Also, sometimes when I exit media player, the process remains.

thanks!
Chuck

Re: Media Player Starts Automatically, All the time
Adam
go to start search type msconfig hit enter go to startup remove check mark from media player.
Chuck
"adam.hodge" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:0C97F0E5-6B8F-4FA3-A39E-181DFC6E2011@microsoft.com...
On my Vista box media player is starting in the background without being asked. How can I prevent this? It starts up and sucks cpu. Also, sometimes when I exit media player, the process remains.

thanks!

TEK!

Re: Media Player Starts Automatically, All the time
It's using 7-10% of my cpu even though I've totally disabled it. If you kill
the process, it comes back to life within minutes even if nothing else is
running that could possibly trigger it. I've disabled all media related
services, eliminated all startup folder commands, all registry "run" and
"runonce" entries even slightly related to medai, changed all file type
defaults to other players, disabled access on default programs -- but it
still starts.

I do not use media player and do NOT want it running in the background using
10% of my CPU to no known purpose. Please someone come up with a stake
through the heart or whatever it takes to kill this zombie.

thanks,
TEK!

"Chuck" wrote:

> Adam
> go to start search type msconfig hit enter go to startup remove check mark from media player.
> Chuck
> "adam.hodge" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:0C97F0E5-6B8F-4FA3-A39E-181DFC6E2011@microsoft.com...
> On my Vista box media player is starting in the background without being asked. How can I prevent this? It starts up and sucks cpu. Also, sometimes when I exit media player, the process remains.
>
> thanks!

TEK!

Re: Media Player Starts Automatically, All the time
Found it! The software for the Dell Bidirectional Gyro Mouse Remote Control
starts wmplayer.exe no matter how many times you kill the process. You can
stop wmplayer completely by following all the other steps, plus on a Dell
with Advanced Remote, disable the WMPControllerService service. I'll try to
get a patch from Dell.

Thanks,
TEK!