Vista slide show

egatwo

Vista slide show
We built a computer specifically to put slide shows on a cable tv channel for
the local high school to use as they see fit. We connected a channel
modulator to the TV-OUT s video connection on the 256 mb nvidia video card
bought specifically for its compatibility with Vista. The adapter to get us
to the coaxial "F" input on the modulator is a NXG NX-550 S-Video to
Composite Video Adapter with a new s-video cable and a RCA to F adapter like
we always use for these kinds of inputs. Anyway, this is on an Asus board
with a 3ghz P4 processor. The desktop appears on the TV channel just fine,
but when we start the slide show in Vista, the screen on the TV goes to black
until the slide show is stopped. We have a monitor hooked up to the dsub vga
port so we know the slide show is working. Any thoughts as to what is going
on? For some reason the video card only rates a 2.9 on the usabilitiy scale.
Perhaps we should run the slide show from the media center instead of the
file browser? We are running Vista Home Premium. not a beta.
--
Ed Adams
Metta

Re: Vista slide show
Not sure of the solution but the slide show will either output to the
monitor OR TV out/second monitor not both.

"egatwo" <ed dot adams at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
> We built a computer specifically to put slide shows on a cable tv channel
> for
> the local high school to use as they see fit. We connected a channel
> modulator to the TV-OUT s video connection on the 256 mb nvidia video card
> bought specifically for its compatibility with Vista. The adapter to get
> us
> to the coaxial "F" input on the modulator is a NXG NX-550 S-Video to
> Composite Video Adapter with a new s-video cable and a RCA to F adapter
> like
> we always use for these kinds of inputs. Anyway, this is on an Asus
> board
> with a 3ghz P4 processor. The desktop appears on the TV channel just
> fine,
> but when we start the slide show in Vista, the screen on the TV goes to
> black
> until the slide show is stopped. We have a monitor hooked up to the dsub
> vga
> port so we know the slide show is working. Any thoughts as to what is
> going
> on? For some reason the video card only rates a 2.9 on the usabilitiy
> scale.
> Perhaps we should run the slide show from the media center instead of the
> file browser? We are running Vista Home Premium. not a beta.
> --
> Ed Adams

egatwo

Re: Vista slide show
Thanks for the reply, Metta. Actually, this morning I managed to make it
work on both. There is a "clone monitor" function in the nVidia video card
properties. It is currently working on both the monitor and the s-video TV
out running into a modulator and is now playing on channel 77 in Lexington,
Texas.

We have a minor picture quality issue. We had another CATV headend
technician there for a completely different reason today. He used to deploy
a similar setup a few years ago using PowerPoint.

The picture quality issue appears to be ingress. Since a CATV headend is an
ambient RF jungle, there is no way to eliminate the RF. It must be shielded
out. I suspect the Radio Shack S-Video to composite adapter or the s-video
cable (more likely since it is 6 foot and we really only need 18") is the
culprit, since neither are designed to be too awfully concerned about ambient
RF. Samson. the other tech, said they used to use something called a
Humzinger to filter out ambient noise. A fairly exhaustive search on google,
live and other engines turned up a lot of hits for hummingbird feeders and
some heavy metal rock band, but little else. I am going to get an adapter
that goes directly from svideo to composite in with an adapter to change that
directly over to F and then run shielded coax. Hopefully that will solve the
problem. In the meantime:

Has anybody any knowledge of "humzinger"?
--
Ed Adams

"Metta" wrote:

> Not sure of the solution but the slide show will either output to the
> monitor OR TV out/second monitor not both.

> "egatwo" <ed dot adams at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
> > We built a computer specifically to put slide shows on a cable tv channel
> > for
> > the local high school to use as they see fit. We connected a channel
> > modulator to the TV-OUT s video connection on the 256 mb nvidia video card
> > bought specifically for its compatibility with Vista. The adapter to get
> > us
> > to the coaxial "F" input on the modulator is a NXG NX-550 S-Video to
> > Composite Video Adapter with a new s-video cable and a RCA to F adapter
> > like
> > we always use for these kinds of inputs. Anyway, this is on an Asus
> > board
> > with a 3ghz P4 processor. The desktop appears on the TV channel just
> > fine,
> > but when we start the slide show in Vista, the screen on the TV goes to
> > black
> > until the slide show is stopped. We have a monitor hooked up to the dsub
> > vga
> > port so we know the slide show is working. Any thoughts as to what is
> > going
> > on? For some reason the video card only rates a 2.9 on the usabilitiy
> > scale.
> > Perhaps we should run the slide show from the media center instead of the
> > file browser? We are running Vista Home Premium. not a beta.
> > --
> > Ed Adams

Metta

Re: Vista slide show
Glad you solved it! No idea about hummingbird though!