Why original music files cannot be edited until they are copied.

Hal9000

Why original music files cannot be edited until they are copied.
I have upgraded from XP to Vista. I did a clean install and am using Vista
Ultimate. I have thousands of music files, all in MP3 Lame format. I have
found that now, with Vista, I cannot edit a music file unless I make a copy
of the original file. I have fulkl admin rights but it still does not help.
So, regardless of the music program, if I try to edit or add album cover art,
I have to copy each file forst and then I can do what I was always able to do
in XP. Additionally, an original music file cannot be deleted without
confirming my admin rights, If I copy the file and try to delete the copy,
it's gone immediately when I hit delete. I have lloked everywhere to find
out how to fix this and I have no answer. I am thinking it might be a
permission issue that Vista has and XP did not. Even so, you would think the
administrator would be able to do whatever. Does anyone have an answer. To
go 1 step further, if I add an existing music file to iTunes and I want to
edit or add lyrics or art to the file, all of the fiels are grayed out and
some of the tabs for lyrics and art are miissing. If I make a copy of the
same file and then add to iTunes, the hidden tabs appear and noting is grayed
out anymore and all can be edited. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Zzz

RE: Why original music files cannot be edited until they are copied.
Could you say what format the original files are in? For example, if they are
in WAV format, then they could not be edited for this reason.