Mdeia Player 11 doesn't function

Bill

Mdeia Player 11 doesn't function
Hello, I just installed on a clean, freshly formatted hard-drive Vista
Ultimate and discovered that the Media Player won't play. I receive a message
stating the MSVFM32.dll is corrupted or it is not a Windows file. Then I'm
asked if I want to reinstall it from the internet. Yes, takes me to the Media
Player 11 for Windows XP. I'm using a home built desktop with 2gbytes of RAM
and have a performance factor of 4.2.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to correct this problem? I'm very new to
Vista but have a lot of experience with XP.
--
Bill
P. Di Stolfo

Re: Mdeia Player 11 doesn't function
Hello,

I don't know if it's legal to download DLL files, but you could try finding
your file there at http://www.dlldump.com/ and replace it.

Greetings,
P. Di Stolfo
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hello, I just installed on a clean, freshly formatted hard-drive Vista
Ultimate and discovered that the Media Player won't play. I receive a
message
stating the MSVFM32.dll is corrupted or it is not a Windows file. Then I'm
asked if I want to reinstall it from the internet. Yes, takes me to the
Media
Player 11 for Windows XP. I'm using a home built desktop with 2gbytes of RAM
and have a performance factor of 4.2.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to correct this problem? I'm very new to
Vista but have a lot of experience with XP.
--
Bill

Retiree

Re: Mdeia Player 11 doesn't function
Hi P. Di Stolofo,

Thanks for the post. I visited that website you inserted in the post but the
dll of interest wasn't listed. I'm wondering how to try a reinstall of the
Windows Media Player 11 without do a complete reinstall of Vista. Things are
sure different from XP.
--
Retiree

"P. Di Stolfo" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't know if it's legal to download DLL files, but you could try finding
> your file there at http://www.dlldump.com/ and replace it.
>
> Greetings,
> P. Di Stolfo
> --
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> // http://blog.lysorp.com - small Windows Blog in German language
> //-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hello, I just installed on a clean, freshly formatted hard-drive Vista
> Ultimate and discovered that the Media Player won't play. I receive a
> message
> stating the MSVFM32.dll is corrupted or it is not a Windows file. Then I'm
> asked if I want to reinstall it from the internet. Yes, takes me to the
> Media
> Player 11 for Windows XP. I'm using a home built desktop with 2gbytes of RAM
> and have a performance factor of 4.2.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion how to correct this problem? I'm very new to
> Vista but have a lot of experience with XP.
> --
> Bill

majmac

Re: Mdeia Player 11 doesn't function

Have you tried running System File Check (sfc)?
At the Command Prompt type (no quotes) "sfc /scannow" and press <Enter>
This site has a bit more info on it: 'How To Use System File Checker
(SFC) in Vista | Tutorials, Free Stuff, Download Ready'
(http://dewantoro.net/2007/05/24/how-...-in-vista.html)

--
majmac

AMD64x2 4600+
Bill

Re: Mdeia Player 11 doesn't function
Hi majmac,

I did the sfc /scannow as you suggested and the report stated that there
were several errors that couldn't fixed and a log was written in the
windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log but it is protected and I can't read it.

Maybe one of these errors (whatever they are) is the cause of my problem. I
don't know how I managed to have errors so soon after doing a clean install
of Vista Ultimate and with MS Office 2003 and very little else install for
software yet. Thankfully this isn't my only computer. I have a laptop running
XP Pro with no problems I'm aware of. And a new Sony VGC-LS20N waiting for
desk space to setup and get running. The Sony comes with Vista Business and
I'll be installing Office 2007, so maybe I have something to compare
computers with when the new system is up and running.

Thanks for your assistance.
--
Bill