Manually Sort Photos in Windows Photo Gallery

dubois598

Manually Sort Photos in Windows Photo Gallery
I have Vista Home Premium Edition. I have a large group of photos from two
different cameras that I am trying to manually sort. I can't do any of the
default sorts because one of us had our cameras on am and one on pm and both
sets of photos have totally different file numbers. When I put them all in
the order I want and batch rename them, it renames them in the order they
were originally in, and not how I placed them. Is there any way to get them
to stay in the order that I want and to rename them in that same order? Any
help would GREATLY be appreciated!

Thanks in advanced!!
Michelle
Adam Albright

Re: Manually Sort Photos in Windows Photo Gallery
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:52:00 -0700, dubois598 <dubois@citlink.net>
wrote:

>I have Vista Home Premium Edition. I have a large group of photos from two
>different cameras that I am trying to manually sort. I can't do any of the
>default sorts because one of us had our cameras on am and one on pm and both
>sets of photos have totally different file numbers. When I put them all in
>the order I want and batch rename them, it renames them in the order they
>were originally in, and not how I placed them. Is there any way to get them
>to stay in the order that I want and to rename them in that same order? Any
>help would GREATLY be appreciated!
>
>Thanks in advanced!!
>Michelle

If you download XnView (something EVERYBODY working with graphics
should have in their tool chest and it's free) has a batch rename
function under Tools that works fairly well. I would suggest before
you try it that you make a new folder and copy the files to it to work
from just in case things get messed up worse then they are now.

http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enhome.html

dubois598

Re: Manually Sort Photos in Windows Photo Gallery
It doesn't list Canon's cr2 files as a supported format. I was going to try
it, but the download page won't load. Anyone else have any other ideas?

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:52:00 -0700, dubois598 <dubois@citlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I have Vista Home Premium Edition. I have a large group of photos from two
> >different cameras that I am trying to manually sort. I can't do any of the
> >default sorts because one of us had our cameras on am and one on pm and both
> >sets of photos have totally different file numbers. When I put them all in
> >the order I want and batch rename them, it renames them in the order they
> >were originally in, and not how I placed them. Is there any way to get them
> >to stay in the order that I want and to rename them in that same order? Any
> >help would GREATLY be appreciated!
> >
> >Thanks in advanced!!
> >Michelle

> If you download XnView (something EVERYBODY working with graphics
> should have in their tool chest and it's free) has a batch rename
> function under Tools that works fairly well. I would suggest before
> you try it that you make a new folder and copy the files to it to work
> from just in case things get messed up worse then they are now.
>
> http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enhome.html

Michael

Re: Manually Sort Photos in Windows Photo Gallery
Michelle,
You might find that you can get things in better order for renaming if you
adjust the 'time taken' time on one set to match the other set.
( In photo Gallery, select one group, right click and select change time
taken).

I did this to merge pictures from two cameras that were 3 hours off (time
zone problem) before renaming them.

Michael

"dubois598" <dubois@citlink.net> wrote in message
>I have Vista Home Premium Edition. I have a large group of photos from two
> different cameras that I am trying to manually sort. I can't do any of the
> default sorts because one of us had our cameras on am and one on pm and
> both
> sets of photos have totally different file numbers. When I put them all in
> the order I want and batch rename them, it renames them in the order they
> were originally in, and not how I placed them. Is there any way to get
> them
> to stay in the order that I want and to rename them in that same order?
> Any
> help would GREATLY be appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advanced!!
> Michelle

dubois598

Re: Manually Sort Photos in Windows Photo Gallery
Thanks Michael, that did the trick. The main problem I was having is that the
gallery doesn't support the Canon 10d. (photos were from a 10d and a 30d) I
didn't realize I could change the times on them. I was able to change the 30d
photos to match the 10d ones and work on them in order in a different program.

Thanks again!