photo files not indexed or serchable

slimdusty96

photo files not indexed or serchable
This is a weird problem to me, and it’s driving me insane.

I have many photos in .jpg format, all in the "Pictures" folder. The
majority of them I can find in “Search” by typing in the name of the photo
file, but certain ones I can't. After hours of testing to see what the
problem might be, I noticed that these are all in landscape (as opposed to
portrait).

E.g. I have a folder that has 7 photos in it, 5 of them in portrait and 2 in
landscape. When I click the "Name" option located at the top left of the
folder window (just left to the "date taken" and “tags” options), and then
click on all the alphabet icons the come up, only the 5 photos in portrait
can be found.

The same happens when I click on "tags" option located at the top of the
folder window; only the 5 would come up when I click on the tags icons that
come up, even though all 7 photos are given exactly the same tags.

The strangest thing is that many of the landscape .jpg photos I have are
indexed properly, but others are not. The landscape photos that cannot be
searched (not indexed) are all in were taken on the certain days, but I can
find any particular pattern.

What this means to me is that these landscape photos are not indexed for
some weird reasons, perhaps some attributes in the photo files preventing
them from being indexed, but I have no idea how to correct that.

I have tried the following, but with no success:

1) Moving the unsearchable photo files to another folder where other
landscape photos are searchable.
2) Rebuild the index
3) Rotate the unsearchable photos (within the folder windows) to portrait,
4) Went to the Microsoft website and found this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932989

If I open the unsearchable photo with Adobe photo elements and save them
again in a jpg format, then it becomes searchable.

But I have about 6,000 photos, and would take forever to correct this
problem this way.

I would really appreciate help in this from someone.
Thanks in advance.

Adam Albright

Re: photo files not indexed or serchable
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:42:03 -0700, slimdusty96
<slimdusty96@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>If I open the unsearchable photo with Adobe photo elements and save them
>again in a jpg format, then it becomes searchable.
>
>But I have about 6,000 photos, and would take forever to correct this
>problem this way.
>
>I would really appreciate help in this from someone.
>Thanks in advance.

Nothing beats asking the guy that actually wrote the Explorer Shell.
That would be Ales Holecek, Director of Development for the Windows
Shell team.

The following is a little known but very informative site where you
have access to lots of streaming Microsoft interviews with actual
product managers and software engineers that wrote Vista. If or not
you'll get a response I can't say, but at least this is the guy to
ask, if he don't know, nobody does. ;-)

http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=244592

For others perplexed by Windows stuff this is the main entry point to
channel 9 which has hundreds of streaming videos on just about every
Windows topic yo can think of and others too, plus a means to comment
and if you're lucky something get a response from the guys and gals
that wrote Windows.

http://channel9.msdn.com/showforum.aspx?forumid=14

It is a popular site, 10,000 plus on online now over there. :-)