Inability to play VOB files on TV DVD player

Keith J A Ball

Inability to play VOB files on TV DVD player
I captured a TV recording using Windows Movie Maker (on Vista), made a
project file to "top" and "tail" the recording, added a fade-in and fade-out
and saved the project. I used Windows DVD Maker (also on Vista) to make a DVD
with conventional VOB files, but it won't play through any of my TV DVD
players, even though it plays via the computer. I have examined a shop-bought
pre-recorded DVD and see that this also uses VOB file format. This plays OK
so why won't my homemade recording?
Adam Albright

Re: Inability to play VOB files on TV DVD player
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:40:01 -0700, Keith J A Ball
<KeithJABall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I captured a TV recording using Windows Movie Maker (on Vista), made a
>project file to "top" and "tail" the recording, added a fade-in and fade-out
>and saved the project. I used Windows DVD Maker (also on Vista) to make a DVD
>with conventional VOB files, but it won't play through any of my TV DVD
>players, even though it plays via the computer. I have examined a shop-bought
>pre-recorded DVD and see that this also uses VOB file format. This plays OK
>so why won't my homemade recording?

Lot reasons why not. First check over at http://www.vcdhelp.com and
look on their compatibility lists to see what luck others have had on
the both the player you're using and also the media.

The cheapskates at Microsoft didn't see fit to include DVD Maker in
the business version of Vista so I'm in the dark as to what it's
capable of. From all the complaints here, not much.

Another common reason for home brew DVD's not playing or stalling or
playing jerky in set top DVD players hooked up to a TV is the bitrate
is set too high. A classic example of people thinking more is better.
What can happen is the DVD player can't keep up with the incoming
stream and chokes.

Commercial DVDs almost always play since they aren't "burned" they are
pressed under a lot of pressure which is a totally different process
beyond the means of home users. The older your DVD player the more
likely you'll run into problems. Several issues ranging from type of
media DV+ verses DV- to the reflectivity of the media itself which can
throw off some players since the laser beam won't bounce off the
surface correctly.

Graham Hughes

Re: Inability to play VOB files on TV DVD player
Adam covers just about all of it there. But if business had dvd maker it'd
just be home premium or whatever, you pays your money and makes your
choices, or rather your company does no doubt

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media