Frame rate quality loss using Windows Vista Ulitmate Movie Maker

Leon

Frame rate quality loss using Windows Vista Ulitmate Movie Maker
Hi,

Why do I loose frame rate quality when using Windows Vista Ulitmate Movie
Maker?

If I burn a DVD from the .avi file using WindowsDVD Maker the quality on
high speed shots are 100% as per playback from camcoder into TV.

If I edit the .avi using Windows Movie Maker, and then burn the DVD with
Windows DVD Maker the quality is just shocking.

What can I do to ensure edited clips keep the same frame rate quality?
Graham Hughes

Re: Frame rate quality loss using Windows Vista Ulitmate Movie Maker
It will be nothing to do with frame rate, which will just be 25 for pal or
29.97 for ntsc, unless of course you choose a HD or progressive setting.

Is the file a dv-avi?
If so and all you do is edit and then output there should be no difference.
Are you saving the file after editing? If so, what file type are you saving
to?

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Leon" <Leon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Why do I loose frame rate quality when using Windows Vista Ulitmate Movie
> Maker?
>
> If I burn a DVD from the .avi file using WindowsDVD Maker the quality on
> high speed shots are 100% as per playback from camcoder into TV.
>
> If I edit the .avi using Windows Movie Maker, and then burn the DVD with
> Windows DVD Maker the quality is just shocking.
>
> What can I do to ensure edited clips keep the same frame rate quality?

Leon

Re: Frame rate quality loss using Windows Vista Ulitmate Movie Mak
Hi,

Windows Movie Maker saves the project as a .MSWMM file. The video file that
I edit is a .avi file. After I complete the project I burn the DVD with
Windows DVD Maker.

I have alos tried to first publish the movie to my computer and selected the
highest 7.8Mbps HD 1080p format. That only added another 3 hours to the
process and when I finaly burned that DVD it had exactly the same problem.
The quality of the edited file is just not the same.

Maybe I should drop the quality to VHS 1.0 Mbps and see if it is perhaps my
DVD player that cannot play the HD format. But I am not sure if that would
help as it works all ok if I burn the unedited .avi file to DVD, only
exception is it is not edited.

Any ideas?

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> It will be nothing to do with frame rate, which will just be 25 for pal or
> 29.97 for ntsc, unless of course you choose a HD or progressive setting.
>
> Is the file a dv-avi?
> If so and all you do is edit and then output there should be no difference.
> Are you saving the file after editing? If so, what file type are you saving
> to?
>
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "Leon" <Leon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Why do I loose frame rate quality when using Windows Vista Ulitmate Movie
> > Maker?
> >
> > If I burn a DVD from the .avi file using WindowsDVD Maker the quality on
> > high speed shots are 100% as per playback from camcoder into TV.
> >
> > If I edit the .avi using Windows Movie Maker, and then burn the DVD with
> > Windows DVD Maker the quality is just shocking.
> >
> > What can I do to ensure edited clips keep the same frame rate quality?

Graham Hughes

Re: Frame rate quality loss using Windows Vista Ulitmate Movie Mak
Themswmm file is as you say the project file and is just a database of
instructions as to where to find files and what to do with them. This will
not make any difference to your end product.

What sort of avi file is it? dv.avi? divx/xvid/mpeg, avi is just a wrapper
and can contain hundreds of file types.

If you take a sd project and try to upconvert it to HD it will look pooor,a
s it is making up material to fill in where there is nothing, you can't take
a 720x576 movie and turn it into 1920x1080i and hope for it to be the same,
take a still image and blow it up by the same dimensions in your still
ediitng app an see what that looks like.

What settings did you use for saving in MM?
What setting sdid you use to make your sd dvd?
What length was your movie?

--

> Hi,
>
> Windows Movie Maker saves the project as a .MSWMM file. The video file
> that
> I edit is a .avi file. After I complete the project I burn the DVD with
> Windows DVD Maker.
>
> I have alos tried to first publish the movie to my computer and selected
> the
> highest 7.8Mbps HD 1080p format. That only added another 3 hours to the
> process and when I finaly burned that DVD it had exactly the same problem.
> The quality of the edited file is just not the same.
>
> Maybe I should drop the quality to VHS 1.0 Mbps and see if it is perhaps
> my
> DVD player that cannot play the HD format. But I am not sure if that would
> help as it works all ok if I burn the unedited .avi file to DVD, only
> exception is it is not edited.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> It will be nothing to do with frame rate, which will just be 25 for pal
>> or
>> 29.97 for ntsc, unless of course you choose a HD or progressive setting.
>>
>> Is the file a dv-avi?
>> If so and all you do is edit and then output there should be no
>> difference.
>> Are you saving the file after editing? If so, what file type are you
>> saving
>> to?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.com
>>

>> "Leon" <Leon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Why do I loose frame rate quality when using Windows Vista Ulitmate
>> > Movie
>> > Maker?
>> >
>> > If I burn a DVD from the .avi file using WindowsDVD Maker the quality
>> > on
>> > high speed shots are 100% as per playback from camcoder into TV.
>> >
>> > If I edit the .avi using Windows Movie Maker, and then burn the DVD
>> > with
>> > Windows DVD Maker the quality is just shocking.
>> >
>> > What can I do to ensure edited clips keep the same frame rate quality?

Leon

Re: Frame rate quality loss using Windows Vista Ulitmate Movie Mak
Hi,

The file type is dv.avi as I use the highest quality setting when I import
the 1 hr video file it takes up 13GB on my hard drive.

I have created long and short videos. Even just a 5 min clip of one scene
where I know the camera moved fast from left to right is choppy when I burn
that 1 clip to DVD.

In Movie Maker the properties is set to PAL 16:9
I have disabled all the Filters and only have the AVI Decompressor
6.6.600.16386 enabled.
There are not any other settings for Movie Maker, unless if you publish to
your computer first.

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Themswmm file is as you say the project file and is just a database of
> instructions as to where to find files and what to do with them. This will
> not make any difference to your end product.
>
> What sort of avi file is it? dv.avi? divx/xvid/mpeg, avi is just a wrapper
> and can contain hundreds of file types.
>
> If you take a sd project and try to upconvert it to HD it will look pooor,a
> s it is making up material to fill in where there is nothing, you can't take
> a 720x576 movie and turn it into 1920x1080i and hope for it to be the same,
> take a still image and blow it up by the same dimensions in your still
> ediitng app an see what that looks like.
>
> What settings did you use for saving in MM?
> What setting sdid you use to make your sd dvd?
> What length was your movie?
>
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "Leon" <Leon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Windows Movie Maker saves the project as a .MSWMM file. The video file
> > that
> > I edit is a .avi file. After I complete the project I burn the DVD with
> > Windows DVD Maker.
> >
> > I have alos tried to first publish the movie to my computer and selected
> > the
> > highest 7.8Mbps HD 1080p format. That only added another 3 hours to the
> > process and when I finaly burned that DVD it had exactly the same problem.
> > The quality of the edited file is just not the same.
> >
> > Maybe I should drop the quality to VHS 1.0 Mbps and see if it is perhaps
> > my
> > DVD player that cannot play the HD format. But I am not sure if that would
> > help as it works all ok if I burn the unedited .avi file to DVD, only
> > exception is it is not edited.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> >> It will be nothing to do with frame rate, which will just be 25 for pal
> >> or
> >> 29.97 for ntsc, unless of course you choose a HD or progressive setting.
> >>
> >> Is the file a dv-avi?
> >> If so and all you do is edit and then output there should be no
> >> difference.
> >> Are you saving the file after editing? If so, what file type are you
> >> saving
> >> to?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Graham Hughes
> >> MVP Digital Media
> >> www.myvideoproblems.com

Graham Hughes

Re: Frame rate quality loss using Windows Vista Ulitmate Movie Mak
Try saving as a dv-avi first. What does this file look like on your pc
compared to the original?
If this is ok, then put this on the timeline of MM and export that to dvd.
What's the quality like now?
If this works, it coulkd be the pc can't cope with the direct from timeline
encoding, due to low power pc, other items running etc.

Graham

--

> Hi,
>
> The file type is dv.avi as I use the highest quality setting when I import
> the 1 hr video file it takes up 13GB on my hard drive.
>
> I have created long and short videos. Even just a 5 min clip of one scene
> where I know the camera moved fast from left to right is choppy when I
> burn
> that 1 clip to DVD.
>
> In Movie Maker the properties is set to PAL 16:9
> I have disabled all the Filters and only have the AVI Decompressor
> 6.6.600.16386 enabled.
> There are not any other settings for Movie Maker, unless if you publish to
> your computer first.
>

> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> Themswmm file is as you say the project file and is just a database of
>> instructions as to where to find files and what to do with them. This
>> will
>> not make any difference to your end product.
>>
>> What sort of avi file is it? dv.avi? divx/xvid/mpeg, avi is just a
>> wrapper
>> and can contain hundreds of file types.
>>
>> If you take a sd project and try to upconvert it to HD it will look
>> pooor,a
>> s it is making up material to fill in where there is nothing, you can't
>> take
>> a 720x576 movie and turn it into 1920x1080i and hope for it to be the
>> same,
>> take a still image and blow it up by the same dimensions in your still
>> ediitng app an see what that looks like.
>>
>> What settings did you use for saving in MM?
>> What setting sdid you use to make your sd dvd?
>> What length was your movie?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.com
>>

>> "Leon" <Leon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Windows Movie Maker saves the project as a .MSWMM file. The video file
>> > that
>> > I edit is a .avi file. After I complete the project I burn the DVD with
>> > Windows DVD Maker.
>> >
>> > I have alos tried to first publish the movie to my computer and
>> > selected
>> > the
>> > highest 7.8Mbps HD 1080p format. That only added another 3 hours to the
>> > process and when I finaly burned that DVD it had exactly the same
>> > problem.
>> > The quality of the edited file is just not the same.
>> >
>> > Maybe I should drop the quality to VHS 1.0 Mbps and see if it is
>> > perhaps
>> > my
>> > DVD player that cannot play the HD format. But I am not sure if that
>> > would
>> > help as it works all ok if I burn the unedited .avi file to DVD, only
>> > exception is it is not edited.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?

Leon

Re: Frame rate quality loss using Windows Vista Ulitmate Movie Mak
That is the problem, buring from the saved dv-avi file with DVD Maker works
great. Taking the same dv-avi file and remove one clip in Windows Movie Maker
and then burn the DVD shows a loss in frame rate quality.

I do not run any other applications while I edit or encode the DVD, and it
is a massive dual core 2x2.4GHz cpu with 2GB of Ram. I do not think the pc
power would be the problem as it works great if I burn the full 1 hour
original dv-avi file.

I think the problem lies between Movie Maker and DVD Maker, but there are
not many setting that you can tweak.

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Try saving as a dv-avi first. What does this file look like on your pc
> compared to the original?
> If this is ok, then put this on the timeline of MM and export that to dvd.
> What's the quality like now?
> If this works, it coulkd be the pc can't cope with the direct from timeline
> encoding, due to low power pc, other items running etc.
>
> Graham
>
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "Leon" <Leon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > The file type is dv.avi as I use the highest quality setting when I import
> > the 1 hr video file it takes up 13GB on my hard drive.
> >
> > I have created long and short videos. Even just a 5 min clip of one scene
> > where I know the camera moved fast from left to right is choppy when I
> > burn
> > that 1 clip to DVD.
> >
> > In Movie Maker the properties is set to PAL 16:9
> > I have disabled all the Filters and only have the AVI Decompressor
> > 6.6.600.16386 enabled.
> > There are not any other settings for Movie Maker, unless if you publish to
> > your computer first.
> >

> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> >> Themswmm file is as you say the project file and is just a database of
> >> instructions as to where to find files and what to do with them. This
> >> will
> >> not make any difference to your end product.
> >>
> >> What sort of avi file is it? dv.avi? divx/xvid/mpeg, avi is just a
> >> wrapper
> >> and can contain hundreds of file types.
> >>
> >> If you take a sd project and try to upconvert it to HD it will look
> >> pooor,a
> >> s it is making up material to fill in where there is nothing, you can't
> >> take
> >> a 720x576 movie and turn it into 1920x1080i and hope for it to be the
> >> same,
> >> take a still image and blow it up by the same dimensions in your still
> >> ediitng app an see what that looks like.
> >>
> >> What settings did you use for saving in MM?
> >> What setting sdid you use to make your sd dvd?
> >> What length was your movie?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Graham Hughes
> >> MVP Digital Media
> >> www.myvideoproblems.com

Graham Hughes

Re: Frame rate quality loss using Windows Vista Ulitmate Movie Mak
So if you take the dv.avi file and edit it, then save it as a dv.avi file
and burn it it is great?
Or not?

--

> That is the problem, buring from the saved dv-avi file with DVD Maker
> works
> great. Taking the same dv-avi file and remove one clip in Windows Movie
> Maker
> and then burn the DVD shows a loss in frame rate quality.
>
> I do not run any other applications while I edit or encode the DVD, and it
> is a massive dual core 2x2.4GHz cpu with 2GB of Ram. I do not think the pc
> power would be the problem as it works great if I burn the full 1 hour
> original dv-avi file.
>
> I think the problem lies between Movie Maker and DVD Maker, but there are
> not many setting that you can tweak.
>

> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> Try saving as a dv-avi first. What does this file look like on your pc
>> compared to the original?
>> If this is ok, then put this on the timeline of MM and export that to
>> dvd.
>> What's the quality like now?
>> If this works, it coulkd be the pc can't cope with the direct from
>> timeline
>> encoding, due to low power pc, other items running etc.
>>
>> Graham
>>
>> --
>>
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.com
>>

>> "Leon" <Leon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > The file type is dv.avi as I use the highest quality setting when I
>> > import
>> > the 1 hr video file it takes up 13GB on my hard drive.
>> >
>> > I have created long and short videos. Even just a 5 min clip of one
>> > scene
>> > where I know the camera moved fast from left to right is choppy when I
>> > burn
>> > that 1 clip to DVD.
>> >
>> > In Movie Maker the properties is set to PAL 16:9
>> > I have disabled all the Filters and only have the AVI Decompressor
>> > 6.6.600.16386 enabled.
>> > There are not any other settings for Movie Maker, unless if you publish
>> > your computer first.

Leon

Re: Frame rate quality loss using Windows Vista Ulitmate Movie Mak
Not sure what you mean, as Windows Movie Maker do not allow you to save your
editing project as anything else. The project is save as a .MSWMM file.

You then publish the .MSWMM file to DVD and that kicks off the DVD Maker
application and there are no other options to save as a dv.avi file. The
encoding kicks off and the DVD is burned.

So yes, if I open the master dv.avi file in DVD Maker and burn the DVD it is
great.
If I open the .MSWMM project file in DVD Maker and burn the DVD it is NOT
good at all.