Converting Old LP's using Vista

POB

Converting Old LP's using Vista
I'd like to record old vinyl onto CD's. I now have Vista Home Premium. I
found a Microsoft help site that refers to an XP Plus! analog recorder, but I
can't find anything in my Vista setup (or included on my HP computer) to
allow this. I see that Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 will do this, but have
read some comments about its function (e.g. poor; crashing, etc.) that makes
me hesitate. Am I missing something in Vista, Windows Media Center or Media
Player that will allow me to do this? Any other programs anyone is aware of
that will do this and "play well" with Vista? Sorry for what might be a
simple question, but I'm new to this.
Adam Albright

Re: Converting Old LP's using Vista
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 07:24:00 -0700, POB
<POB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'd like to record old vinyl onto CD's. I now have Vista Home Premium. I
>found a Microsoft help site that refers to an XP Plus! analog recorder, but I
>can't find anything in my Vista setup (or included on my HP computer) to
>allow this. I see that Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 will do this, but have
>read some comments about its function (e.g. poor; crashing, etc.) that makes
>me hesitate. Am I missing something in Vista, Windows Media Center or Media
>Player that will allow me to do this? Any other programs anyone is aware of
>that will do this and "play well" with Vista? Sorry for what might be a
>simple question, but I'm new to this.

If you have an extensive music collection on vinyl chances are some of
the songs are in pretty bad shape. I have Roxio 9 and while it is ok,
it really lacks the tools needed to do a good job of 'fixing' your
music which I seriously recommend you do before placing it on CD's.

I haven't done any actual transfer from vinyl to CD yet, but have
converted almost a thousand songs from CD's to Mp3. So others can make
suggestions as to how to best proceed with that phase.

As far as repairing, getting rid of hiss, rumble other defects and
even changing tempo, balance and things like that I suggest you
download a copy of 'Audacity' which is a fairly powerful audio utility
that's totally free and simple enough to use.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Tom from WI

Re: Converting Old LP's using Vista
I have used Roxio 9 to copy vinyl records to my PC and it has worked fine. I
am not a big audio expert as far as the quality of the copying, but it
sounds good to me. I just played the record and used the earphone jack to
run a wire from it to my Line In on my PC. It records the LP as one long
song, but I easily broke it into separate songs using Roxio's SoundEditor
software. You can try to remove some of the record noise during the
recording period if you want.

I have copied about 25 LPs this way without much trouble. I convert the
resulting songs into MP3 format, put them on a single CD (about 120 songs)
and play it in my car. I may never listen to the radio again!
Tom

"POB" <POB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to record old vinyl onto CD's. I now have Vista Home Premium. I
> found a Microsoft help site that refers to an XP Plus! analog recorder,
> but I
> can't find anything in my Vista setup (or included on my HP computer) to
> allow this. I see that Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 will do this, but have
> read some comments about its function (e.g. poor; crashing, etc.) that
> makes
> me hesitate. Am I missing something in Vista, Windows Media Center or
> Media
> Player that will allow me to do this? Any other programs anyone is aware
> of
> that will do this and "play well" with Vista? Sorry for what might be a
> simple question, but I'm new to this.

POB

Re: Converting Old LP's using Vista
Thank you; I'll give it a try. Doesn't look like I'm missing anything on my
computer. Greatly appreciate such a quick response!

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 07:24:00 -0700, POB
> <POB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I'd like to record old vinyl onto CD's. I now have Vista Home Premium. I
> >found a Microsoft help site that refers to an XP Plus! analog recorder, but I
> >can't find anything in my Vista setup (or included on my HP computer) to
> >allow this. I see that Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 will do this, but have
> >read some comments about its function (e.g. poor; crashing, etc.) that makes
> >me hesitate. Am I missing something in Vista, Windows Media Center or Media
> >Player that will allow me to do this? Any other programs anyone is aware of
> >that will do this and "play well" with Vista? Sorry for what might be a
> >simple question, but I'm new to this.

> If you have an extensive music collection on vinyl chances are some of
> the songs are in pretty bad shape. I have Roxio 9 and while it is ok,
> it really lacks the tools needed to do a good job of 'fixing' your
> music which I seriously recommend you do before placing it on CD's.
>
> I haven't done any actual transfer from vinyl to CD yet, but have
> converted almost a thousand songs from CD's to Mp3. So others can make
> suggestions as to how to best proceed with that phase.
>
> As far as repairing, getting rid of hiss, rumble other defects and
> even changing tempo, balance and things like that I suggest you
> download a copy of 'Audacity' which is a fairly powerful audio utility
> that's totally free and simple enough to use.
>
> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

POB

Re: Converting Old LP's using Vista
Thanks for taking the time to write, and so quickly! You and Adam have given
me some experience to go on. I'll try Roxio and Audacity and try to compare!

"Tom from WI" wrote:

> I have used Roxio 9 to copy vinyl records to my PC and it has worked fine. I
> am not a big audio expert as far as the quality of the copying, but it
> sounds good to me. I just played the record and used the earphone jack to
> run a wire from it to my Line In on my PC. It records the LP as one long
> song, but I easily broke it into separate songs using Roxio's SoundEditor
> software. You can try to remove some of the record noise during the
> recording period if you want.
>
> I have copied about 25 LPs this way without much trouble. I convert the
> resulting songs into MP3 format, put them on a single CD (about 120 songs)
> and play it in my car. I may never listen to the radio again!
> Tom
>
> "POB" <POB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'd like to record old vinyl onto CD's. I now have Vista Home Premium. I
> > found a Microsoft help site that refers to an XP Plus! analog recorder,
> > but I
> > can't find anything in my Vista setup (or included on my HP computer) to
> > allow this. I see that Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 will do this, but have
> > read some comments about its function (e.g. poor; crashing, etc.) that
> > makes
> > me hesitate. Am I missing something in Vista, Windows Media Center or
> > Media
> > Player that will allow me to do this? Any other programs anyone is aware
> > of
> > that will do this and "play well" with Vista? Sorry for what might be a
> > simple question, but I'm new to this.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Converting Old LP's using Vista
I used Adobe Audition.... there should be a trial version on their website.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"POB" <POB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to record old vinyl onto CD's. I now have Vista Home Premium. I
> found a Microsoft help site that refers to an XP Plus! analog recorder,
> but I
> can't find anything in my Vista setup (or included on my HP computer) to
> allow this. I see that Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 will do this, but have
> read some comments about its function (e.g. poor; crashing, etc.) that
> makes
> me hesitate. Am I missing something in Vista, Windows Media Center or
> Media
> Player that will allow me to do this? Any other programs anyone is aware
> of
> that will do this and "play well" with Vista? Sorry for what might be a
> simple question, but I'm new to this.

dj

Re: Converting Old LP's using Vista
There is also a program called GoldWave. I've used it for years for cassette
tape and viny transferrs. It has many editing features that are very useful.
There is a trial version on their website.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> I used Adobe Audition.... there should be a trial version on their website.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "POB" <POB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'd like to record old vinyl onto CD's. I now have Vista Home Premium. I
> > found a Microsoft help site that refers to an XP Plus! analog recorder,
> > but I
> > can't find anything in my Vista setup (or included on my HP computer) to
> > allow this. I see that Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 will do this, but have
> > read some comments about its function (e.g. poor; crashing, etc.) that
> > makes
> > me hesitate. Am I missing something in Vista, Windows Media Center or
> > Media
> > Player that will allow me to do this? Any other programs anyone is aware
> > of
> > that will do this and "play well" with Vista? Sorry for what might be a
> > simple question, but I'm new to this.

bob

RE: Converting Old LP's using Vista
Any advance on this? I am new to vista and need to transfer some vynyl to the
pc for soundtracks.

Bob

"POB" wrote:

> I'd like to record old vinyl onto CD's. I now have Vista Home Premium. I
> found a Microsoft help site that refers to an XP Plus! analog recorder, but I
> can't find anything in my Vista setup (or included on my HP computer) to
> allow this. I see that Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 will do this, but have
> read some comments about its function (e.g. poor; crashing, etc.) that makes
> me hesitate. Am I missing something in Vista, Windows Media Center or Media
> Player that will allow me to do this? Any other programs anyone is aware of
> that will do this and "play well" with Vista? Sorry for what might be a
> simple question, but I'm new to this.

John Inzer

bob wrote:
> Any advance on this? I am new to vista and need to transfer some
> vynyl to the pc for soundtracks.
>
> Bob
>
> "POB" wrote:
>
>> I'd like to record old vinyl onto CD's. I now have Vista Home
>> Premium. I found a Microsoft help site that refers to an XP Plus!
>> analog recorder, but I can't find anything in my Vista setup (or
>> included on my HP computer) to allow this. I see that Roxio Easy
>> Media Creator 9 will do this, but have read some comments about its
>> function (e.g. poor; crashing, etc.) that makes me hesitate. Am I
>> missing something in Vista, Windows Media Center or Media Player
>> that will allow me to do this? Any other programs anyone is aware
>> of that will do this and "play well" with Vista? Sorry for what
>> might be a simple question, but I'm new to this.

========================
Maybe the following article will offer some ideas:

Windows Vista -
How to convert your vinyl into mp3s
http://tinyurl.com/359ycb
or...