add text to photos using Window Photo Gallery

Dave C

add text to photos using Window Photo Gallery
How to add text to photos using Window Photo Gallery
Dave

Re: add text to photos using Window Photo Gallery
Well, you can add a Tag and/or a Caption
In the Info pane, on the right... if it's not shown, click on "Info" on the
toolbar.

"Dave C" <DaveC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How to add text to photos using Window Photo Gallery

Adam Albright

Re: add text to photos using Window Photo Gallery
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:58:02 -0700, Dave C
<DaveC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How to add text to photos using Window Photo Gallery

Best results, more features and better control can be obtained with
better third party applications. In a pinch you can use Microsoft's
Paint.

Here's how:

1. Open a suitable file. If it isn't already showing check text tool
bar under View on the menu bar. Select an appropriate style and
size font.

2. Since you want the text to be superimposed and appear
to float over and become part of the underlying image
and not have an ugly background color behind the text
make sure you click on the bottom icon in the left vertical
column which will set the text field to transparent.

3. Click on the "A" which is the crude text tool in paint.
You'll see the cursor change to a cross. While holding
down your left mouse button position where you want
the text to appear and draw a rectangle roughly the
size of the text you'll be adding then let go.

4. If you look close you now see the cursor has changed
to a flashing "I" once you click anywhere inside the
box you just created. Now just start to type. You can
change the font color from the color boxes at the top of Paint.

5. Once you are done typing the text move the cursor
outside of the text field and press enter.

6. Click on File, pick "save as" giving your project a
new name and different file type if your like. The
text and underlying picture will be combined into
a "flattened" image.

What you've just done is create an Alpha channel. An Alpha channel is
a separate layer that can have it's background transparent allowing
what is underneath to bleed through, thus text appears to "float" over
the image. If you forget to check the last icon in the left column
while the text still gets added to the picture whatever space isn't
taken up by the text will show whatever color (typically white) that
is set for the background of the text field.

The reason I suggest you get something better is you are very limited
in what you can do in Paint. For example with better applications you
can cause the text to follow a path, have a shadow, be 3D, add
lightening effects, be easily repositioned, etc..

Dave C

Re: add text to photos using Window Photo Gallery
Thanks very helpful
Dave C

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:58:02 -0700, Dave C
> <DaveC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >How to add text to photos using Window Photo Gallery

> Best results, more features and better control can be obtained with
> better third party applications. In a pinch you can use Microsoft's
> Paint.
>
> Here's how:
>
> 1. Open a suitable file. If it isn't already showing check text tool
> bar under View on the menu bar. Select an appropriate style and
> size font.
>
> 2. Since you want the text to be superimposed and appear
> to float over and become part of the underlying image
> and not have an ugly background color behind the text
> make sure you click on the bottom icon in the left vertical
> column which will set the text field to transparent.
>
> 3. Click on the "A" which is the crude text tool in paint.
> You'll see the cursor change to a cross. While holding
> down your left mouse button position where you want
> the text to appear and draw a rectangle roughly the
> size of the text you'll be adding then let go.
>
> 4. If you look close you now see the cursor has changed
> to a flashing "I" once you click anywhere inside the
> box you just created. Now just start to type. You can
> change the font color from the color boxes at the top of Paint.
>
> 5. Once you are done typing the text move the cursor
> outside of the text field and press enter.
>
> 6. Click on File, pick "save as" giving your project a
> new name and different file type if your like. The
> text and underlying picture will be combined into
> a "flattened" image.
>
> What you've just done is create an Alpha channel. An Alpha channel is
> a separate layer that can have it's background transparent allowing
> what is underneath to bleed through, thus text appears to "float" over
> the image. If you forget to check the last icon in the left column
> while the text still gets added to the picture whatever space isn't
> taken up by the text will show whatever color (typically white) that
> is set for the background of the text field.
>
> The reason I suggest you get something better is you are very limited
> in what you can do in Paint. For example with better applications you
> can cause the text to follow a path, have a shadow, be 3D, add
> lightening effects, be easily repositioned, etc..

TechoMom

Re: add text to photos using Window Photo Gallery
I had trouble adding text to photos but finally realized you had to be viewing
your photo at 100%. Just a note in case someone else had the same troubles.
I think a 3rd party application is my answer for future photo edits though.
--
Techo Mom