Microphone doesn't work when plugged in

cauliflower

Microphone doesn't work when plugged in
When I plug in my headset (earpieces and microphone), it usually asks me to
select "microphone" as my choice for the plugged in device. Earlier today, I
hit "do not ask me this again" because I thought that it would accept that
the only thing I ever plug into that port (the red part of the red/green
audio section). What I wanted was to not be asked to choose every
time....that I always wanted to select microphone. But now it's not asking
me anything, and the microphone is not working. I've done all the microphone
troubleshooting things...but can't figure out how to get the computer to
start asking me again what device I want to use every time I plug in the
headset. Any ideas?
Joe

RE: Microphone doesn't work when plugged in
you have onboard audio or an added card? make sure you ahve the right audio
device selected in the cotnrol panel for both input and output. also make
sure you have the right driver (it soudns like you dont have one installed
for your audio device, thats what that pop up is).. ive never had a prompt
come up on any computer ever when you plug in a 1/8th inch plug to an audio
card... they simply cant detect it, unless some wild new card has come out in
the last 30 days i dont know about.

"cauliflower" wrote:

> When I plug in my headset (earpieces and microphone), it usually asks me to
> select "microphone" as my choice for the plugged in device. Earlier today, I
> hit "do not ask me this again" because I thought that it would accept that
> the only thing I ever plug into that port (the red part of the red/green
> audio section). What I wanted was to not be asked to choose every
> time....that I always wanted to select microphone. But now it's not asking
> me anything, and the microphone is not working. I've done all the microphone
> troubleshooting things...but can't figure out how to get the computer to
> start asking me again what device I want to use every time I plug in the
> headset. Any ideas?

Eugene

RE: Microphone doesn't work when plugged in
I have the exact same problem, and it occured also when I checked the box to
tell it (I thought) simply to not prompt me.

Obviously, as you have also discovered not only does this prevent it from
prompting, it also prevents it from working.

I've been unable to find anything documented anywhere about this message
box, or how to re-enable it. My computer thinks everything is configured
correctly, but the mic just doesn't do anything.

"cauliflower" wrote:

> When I plug in my headset (earpieces and microphone), it usually asks me to
> select "microphone" as my choice for the plugged in device. Earlier today, I
> hit "do not ask me this again" because I thought that it would accept that
> the only thing I ever plug into that port (the red part of the red/green
> audio section). What I wanted was to not be asked to choose every
> time....that I always wanted to select microphone. But now it's not asking
> me anything, and the microphone is not working. I've done all the microphone
> troubleshooting things...but can't figure out how to get the computer to
> start asking me again what device I want to use every time I plug in the
> headset. Any ideas?

Eugene

RE: Microphone doesn't work when plugged in
This is not the problem. Somewhere internally vista has set itself not to use
the mic. I have the same issue, and it occurred when I made the mistake of
telling it not to prompt me every time I plugged in the mic.

Can someone please help. I need to be able to use a headset for skype, and
if I cannot find a solution I'm going to have to remove vista, and go back to
an older OS.

"Joe" wrote:

> you have onboard audio or an added card? make sure you ahve the right audio
> device selected in the cotnrol panel for both input and output. also make
> sure you have the right driver (it soudns like you dont have one installed
> for your audio device, thats what that pop up is).. ive never had a prompt
> come up on any computer ever when you plug in a 1/8th inch plug to an audio
> card... they simply cant detect it, unless some wild new card has come out in
> the last 30 days i dont know about.
>
> "cauliflower" wrote:
>
> > When I plug in my headset (earpieces and microphone), it usually asks me to
> > select "microphone" as my choice for the plugged in device. Earlier today, I
> > hit "do not ask me this again" because I thought that it would accept that
> > the only thing I ever plug into that port (the red part of the red/green
> > audio section). What I wanted was to not be asked to choose every
> > time....that I always wanted to select microphone. But now it's not asking
> > me anything, and the microphone is not working. I've done all the microphone
> > troubleshooting things...but can't figure out how to get the computer to
> > start asking me again what device I want to use every time I plug in the
> > headset. Any ideas?

Eugene

RE: Microphone doesn't work when plugged in
I managed to fix this on my computer...

It wasn't a vista issue as such, but a SigmaTel Audio problem.

Under control panel, I have an icon "SigmaTel Audio". When I open this it
shows a dialog box with just 1 option "Allow reconfiguration Pop-Ups". When I
re-check this then all is fine again.

This explains why so little information seemed to be available about this.
It probably would be a fairly obscure issue, related to 1 particular audio
card. I had assumed it was a generic vista thing.

"cauliflower" wrote:

> When I plug in my headset (earpieces and microphone), it usually asks me to
> select "microphone" as my choice for the plugged in device. Earlier today, I
> hit "do not ask me this again" because I thought that it would accept that
> the only thing I ever plug into that port (the red part of the red/green
> audio section). What I wanted was to not be asked to choose every
> time....that I always wanted to select microphone. But now it's not asking
> me anything, and the microphone is not working. I've done all the microphone
> troubleshooting things...but can't figure out how to get the computer to
> start asking me again what device I want to use every time I plug in the
> headset. Any ideas?

spider

RE: Microphone doesn't work when plugged in
Hi all,

I just had the same problem and I`ve solved as Eugene said: Just go to
control panel/Sigma Tel Audio and hit "Allow reconfiguration Pop-Ups". Unplug
the micro and plug again. The micro pop-up will show up and everything works
again.

"cauliflower" wrote:

> When I plug in my headset (earpieces and microphone), it usually asks me to
> select "microphone" as my choice for the plugged in device. Earlier today, I
> hit "do not ask me this again" because I thought that it would accept that
> the only thing I ever plug into that port (the red part of the red/green
> audio section). What I wanted was to not be asked to choose every
> time....that I always wanted to select microphone. But now it's not asking
> me anything, and the microphone is not working. I've done all the microphone
> troubleshooting things...but can't figure out how to get the computer to
> start asking me again what device I want to use every time I plug in the
> headset. Any ideas?

Trob

RE: Microphone doesn't work when plugged in
I am having the same problem with a newly purchased mic (1/8th). However,
whenever I try to open up SigmaTel Audio in Control Panel it gives me an
error box
which says "This program has known compatibility issues" "SigmaTel Audio
Control Panel is incompatible with this version of Windows. For more
information, contact SigmaTel."
"spider" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just had the same problem and I`ve solved as Eugene said: Just go to
> control panel/Sigma Tel Audio and hit "Allow reconfiguration Pop-Ups". Unplug
> the micro and plug again. The micro pop-up will show up and everything works
> again.
>
> "cauliflower" wrote:
>
> > When I plug in my headset (earpieces and microphone), it usually asks me to
> > select "microphone" as my choice for the plugged in device. Earlier today, I
> > hit "do not ask me this again" because I thought that it would accept that
> > the only thing I ever plug into that port (the red part of the red/green
> > audio section). What I wanted was to not be asked to choose every
> > time....that I always wanted to select microphone. But now it's not asking
> > me anything, and the microphone is not working. I've done all the microphone
> > troubleshooting things...but can't figure out how to get the computer to
> > start asking me again what device I want to use every time I plug in the
> > headset. Any ideas?

Eugene

RE: Microphone doesn't work when plugged in
You may need to install an updated SigmaTel driver.

"Trob" wrote:

> I am having the same problem with a newly purchased mic (1/8th). However,
> whenever I try to open up SigmaTel Audio in Control Panel it gives me an
> error box
> which says "This program has known compatibility issues" "SigmaTel Audio
> Control Panel is incompatible with this version of Windows. For more
> information, contact SigmaTel."
> "spider" wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just had the same problem and I`ve solved as Eugene said: Just go to
> > control panel/Sigma Tel Audio and hit "Allow reconfiguration Pop-Ups". Unplug
> > the micro and plug again. The micro pop-up will show up and everything works
> > again.
> >
> > "cauliflower" wrote:
> >
> > > When I plug in my headset (earpieces and microphone), it usually asks me to
> > > select "microphone" as my choice for the plugged in device. Earlier today, I
> > > hit "do not ask me this again" because I thought that it would accept that
> > > the only thing I ever plug into that port (the red part of the red/green
> > > audio section). What I wanted was to not be asked to choose every
> > > time....that I always wanted to select microphone. But now it's not asking
> > > me anything, and the microphone is not working. I've done all the microphone
> > > troubleshooting things...but can't figure out how to get the computer to
> > > start asking me again what device I want to use every time I plug in the
> > > headset. Any ideas?

hussain

"Eugene" wrote:

> This is not the problem. Somewhere internally vista has set itself not to use
> the mic. I have the same issue, and it occurred when I made the mistake of
> telling it not to prompt me every time I plugged in the mic.
>
> Can someone please help. I need to be able to use a headset for skype, and
> if I cannot find a solution I'm going to have to remove vista, and go back to
> an older OS.
>
> "Joe" wrote:
>
> > you have onboard audio or an added card? make sure you ahve the right audio
> > device selected in the cotnrol panel for both input and output. also make
> > sure you have the right driver (it soudns like you dont have one installed
> > for your audio device, thats what that pop up is).. ive never had a prompt
> > come up on any computer ever when you plug in a 1/8th inch plug to an audio
> > card... they simply cant detect it, unless some wild new card has come out in
> > the last 30 days i dont know about.
> >
> > "cauliflower" wrote:
> >
> > > When I plug in my headset (earpieces and microphone), it usually asks me to
> > > select "microphone" as my choice for the plugged in device. Earlier today, I
> > > hit "do not ask me this again" because I thought that it would accept that
> > > the only thing I ever plug into that port (the red part of the red/green
> > > audio section). What I wanted was to not be asked to choose every
> > > time....that I always wanted to select microphone. But now it's not asking
> > > me anything, and the microphone is not working. I've done all the microphone
> > > troubleshooting things...but can't figure out how to get the computer to
> > > start asking me again what device I want to use every time I plug in the
> > > headset. Any ideas?

tee's mom

RE: Microphone doesn't work when plugged in
thank you so much Eugene, i thought my mic was a goner.