question for the wise guys

Jume

question for the wise guys
is there a way to DEACTIVATE the feature of photo gallery that compares file
name and contents to not import the same image twice? a registry key or
wathever needed, i feel comfortable doing risky things like that so dont
worry

im doing some tests and it would be perfect if the gallery allows me to
re-import the same image over and over and over...

thank you!

Adam Albright

Re: question for the wise guys
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:46:11 +0200, "Jume" <jume@konithuki.com> wrote:

>is there a way to DEACTIVATE the feature of photo gallery that compares file
>name and contents to not import the same image twice? a registry key or
>wathever needed, i feel comfortable doing risky things like that so dont
>worry
>
>im doing some tests and it would be perfect if the gallery allows me to
>re-import the same image over and over and over...
>
>thank you!

Not that I'm aware of because that really wouldn't be a feature and is
hardwired into the programming would be my guess for the simple reason
why would anybody want to have copy after copy of the same file in the
same folder? Under XP it would under the right circumstances just add
the word "copy" to the file name or myimage, myimage01, myimage02,
etc.. At least now Vista is smart enough to ask if you want to replace
to avoid cluttering up a folder with a bunch of duplicates.

Jume

Re: question for the wise guys
i can reverse the question, why would i dont want it? not exactly that i
want several copies but overwriting the older, though it would be the same
in my testing case

i will give you an example of what a real case would looks like:
-if you dont knew already, you can extend the import functionality by
writing "plugins", consider you want to do just that
-because your plugin looks for something specific on the pictures, you want
to try several little modifications on the same image through some amount of
time (exif, some pixels, etc)
-then, you may want to deactivate the duplications search so you dont need
to erase-import-erase-import-erase... and just do import-import-import...

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 00:43:30 +0200, "Jume" <jume@konithuki.com> wrote:

>i can reverse the question, why would i dont want it? not exactly that i
>want several copies but overwriting the older, though it would be the same
>in my testing case
>
>i will give you an example of what a real case would looks like:
>-if you dont knew already, you can extend the import functionality by
>writing "plugins", consider you want to do just that
>-because your plugin looks for something specific on the pictures, you want
>to try several little modifications on the same image through some amount of
>time (exif, some pixels, etc)
>-then, you may want to deactivate the duplications search so you dont need
>to erase-import-erase-import-erase... and just do import-import-import...

You started out saying you were wishing to import multiple copies of
the same file from your camera. That is quite different than making
multiple copies in say Photoshop where each may have different hue or
other adjustments. Not to quibble, but I can see why Microsoft and as
far as I remember no other OS supports this directly since under most
situations people would want to know if they were saving multiple
copies of the same file to the same folder. If your must the east way
is to rename them as you make them. That is called generational
copies.

myimageA, myimageB, and so on.