Can't view old photos in Windows Vista Photo Gallery

Frustrated Chris

Can't view old photos in Windows Vista Photo Gallery
I recently purchased a new system with Vista to replace my old XP system and
have had a ton of problems. The biggest one being the inability to see
photos in Vista. I moved them all from my old XP system via an external hard
drive and Visa Photo Gallery gives an error message "Photo Gallery can't open
this picture because it might have been deleted or in in a location that is
not available".

All of these photos are JPGs downloaded from a Cannon camera. The new Vista
system displays the file size and date of picture, but cannot view the
image. I can't view the image in Photo Gallery, Paint or any other
application.

Can anyone help?

Dave

Re: Can't view old photos in Windows Vista Photo Gallery
Did you copy the files to the Vista computer, or are they still the external
drive?

You might download and try Irfanview, a free viewer. Try opening a file and
press "I" to see the information about the file.
http://www.irfanviewpack.com/

"Frustrated Chris" <FrustratedChris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C9124F2F-2F2A-4E68-B42F-51ABAABB9EEA@microsoft.com...
>I recently purchased a new system with Vista to replace my old XP system
>and
> have had a ton of problems. The biggest one being the inability to see
> photos in Vista. I moved them all from my old XP system via an external
> hard
> drive and Visa Photo Gallery gives an error message "Photo Gallery can't
> open
> this picture because it might have been deleted or in in a location that
> is
> not available".
>
> All of these photos are JPGs downloaded from a Cannon camera. The new
> Vista
> system displays the file size and date of picture, but cannot view the
> image. I can't view the image in Photo Gallery, Paint or any other
> application.
>
> Can anyone help?

Frustrated Chris

Re: Can't view old photos in Windows Vista Photo Gallery
I copied them to the Vista computer.

Thanks for the suggestion with Infanview, but there is no reason (in my
opinion) that the Vista viewer should not read them. I plan on returning the
new Vista system and buying a Mac if I cannot fix this.

"Dave" wrote:

> Did you copy the files to the Vista computer, or are they still the external
> drive?
>
> You might download and try Irfanview, a free viewer. Try opening a file and
> press "I" to see the information about the file.
> http://www.irfanviewpack.com/
>

> "Frustrated Chris" <FrustratedChris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:C9124F2F-2F2A-4E68-B42F-51ABAABB9EEA@microsoft.com...
> >I recently purchased a new system with Vista to replace my old XP system
> >and
> > have had a ton of problems. The biggest one being the inability to see
> > photos in Vista. I moved them all from my old XP system via an external
> > hard
> > drive and Visa Photo Gallery gives an error message "Photo Gallery can't
> > open
> > this picture because it might have been deleted or in in a location that
> > is
> > not available".
> >
> > All of these photos are JPGs downloaded from a Cannon camera. The new
> > Vista
> > system displays the file size and date of picture, but cannot view the
> > image. I can't view the image in Photo Gallery, Paint or any other
> > application.
> >
> > Can anyone help?

Dave

Re: Can't view old photos in Windows Vista Photo Gallery
hmm, I have to believe that if these are valid .jpg files, Vista can & will
open them.

Here's a link to picture file types & how Vista handles them...
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...667f41033.mspx

Perhaps it's a file permission problem, or where it's located.
You didn't copy these photo to "My Pictures" or "My Documents", did you?
Can you copy one to the Desktop, or to C:\Users\(youraccount)\Pictures and
try to open it?
Can you open one with Internet Explorer?

"Frustrated Chris" <FrustratedChris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:BB07D2E0-92E0-40FF-954E-6FAA16F315D1@microsoft.com...
>I copied them to the Vista computer.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion with Infanview, but there is no reason (in my
> opinion) that the Vista viewer should not read them. I plan on returning
> the
> new Vista system and buying a Mac if I cannot fix this.
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> Did you copy the files to the Vista computer, or are they still the
>> external
>> drive?
>>
>> You might download and try Irfanview, a free viewer. Try opening a file
>> and
>> press "I" to see the information about the file.
>> http://www.irfanviewpack.com/
>>

>> "Frustrated Chris" <FrustratedChris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:C9124F2F-2F2A-4E68-B42F-51ABAABB9EEA@microsoft.com...
>> >I recently purchased a new system with Vista to replace my old XP system
>> >and
>> > have had a ton of problems. The biggest one being the inability to see
>> > photos in Vista. I moved them all from my old XP system via an
>> > external
>> > hard
>> > drive and Visa Photo Gallery gives an error message "Photo Gallery
>> > can't
>> > open
>> > this picture because it might have been deleted or in in a location
>> > that
>> > is
>> > not available".
>> >
>> > All of these photos are JPGs downloaded from a Cannon camera. The new
>> > Vista
>> > system displays the file size and date of picture, but cannot view the
>> > image. I can't view the image in Photo Gallery, Paint or any other
>> > application.
>> >
>> > Can anyone help?

Frustrated Chris

Re: Can't view old photos in Windows Vista Photo Gallery
I think the problem is that the files are coming from an XP computer. I can
download new JPGs from email, the web or a digital camera just fine.

It could have something to do with "ownership" of the files, but I have
tried everything and cannot get it to work.

"Dave" wrote:

> hmm, I have to believe that if these are valid .jpg files, Vista can & will
> open them.
>
> Here's a link to picture file types & how Vista handles them...
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...667f41033.mspx
>
> Perhaps it's a file permission problem, or where it's located.
> You didn't copy these photo to "My Pictures" or "My Documents", did you?
> Can you copy one to the Desktop, or to C:\Users\(youraccount)\Pictures and
> try to open it?
> Can you open one with Internet Explorer?
>

> "Frustrated Chris" <FrustratedChris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:BB07D2E0-92E0-40FF-954E-6FAA16F315D1@microsoft.com...
> >I copied them to the Vista computer.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion with Infanview, but there is no reason (in my
> > opinion) that the Vista viewer should not read them. I plan on returning
> > the
> > new Vista system and buying a Mac if I cannot fix this.
> >
> > "Dave" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you copy the files to the Vista computer, or are they still the
> >> external
> >> drive?
> >>
> >> You might download and try Irfanview, a free viewer. Try opening a file
> >> and
> >> press "I" to see the information about the file.
> >> http://www.irfanviewpack.com/
> >>

> >> "Frustrated Chris" <FrustratedChris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:C9124F2F-2F2A-4E68-B42F-51ABAABB9EEA@microsoft.com...

Tom from WI

Re: Can't view old photos in Windows Vista Photo Gallery
I have moved lots of photos from my XP pc to my Vista pc without any
problems. I have always used a USB thumb drive, however, not a CD. Can't
imagine that would make any difference.
Tom

"Frustrated Chris" <FrustratedChris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message newsA8A28C5-0CFA-4EA0-8B9F-DA494E874EC5@microsoft.com...
>I think the problem is that the files are coming from an XP computer. I
>can
> download new JPGs from email, the web or a digital camera just fine.
>
> It could have something to do with "ownership" of the files, but I have
> tried everything and cannot get it to work.
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> hmm, I have to believe that if these are valid .jpg files, Vista can &
>> will
>> open them.
>>
>> Here's a link to picture file types & how Vista handles them...
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...667f41033.mspx
>>
>> Perhaps it's a file permission problem, or where it's located.
>> You didn't copy these photo to "My Pictures" or "My Documents", did you?
>> Can you copy one to the Desktop, or to C:\Users\(youraccount)\Pictures
>> and
>> try to open it?
>> Can you open one with Internet Explorer?
>>

>> "Frustrated Chris" <FrustratedChris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:BB07D2E0-92E0-40FF-954E-6FAA16F315D1@microsoft.com...
>> >I copied them to the Vista computer.
>> >
>> > Thanks for the suggestion with Infanview, but there is no reason (in my
>> > opinion) that the Vista viewer should not read them. I plan on
>> > returning
>> > the
>> > new Vista system and buying a Mac if I cannot fix this.

Dave

Re: Can't view old photos in Windows Vista Photo Gallery
Well, that could be, but I have .jpg photos taken as far back as 1997, with
a Ricoh and 2 Olympus cameras.
All of them open ok in Vista. Some of them came from a XP computer, and
some probably came from a Win 98 computer.

Can you tell us exactly what kind of external drive it is, and how you
copied them?
Or where you copied them?
Did you import them with Windows Photo Gallery?
Or did you add the external drive folder to Windows Photo Gallery?
Can you get to them with Windows Explorer?

You didn't say if you tried the couple of things I suggested.

There is no magic answer to your problem.... we have to troubleshoot by
finding out what you've done, and what works, and what doesn't.

"Frustrated Chris" <FrustratedChris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message newsA8A28C5-0CFA-4EA0-8B9F-DA494E874EC5@microsoft.com...
>I think the problem is that the files are coming from an XP computer. I
>can
> download new JPGs from email, the web or a digital camera just fine.
>
> It could have something to do with "ownership" of the files, but I have
> tried everything and cannot get it to work.
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> hmm, I have to believe that if these are valid .jpg files, Vista can &
>> will
>> open them.
>>
>> Here's a link to picture file types & how Vista handles them...
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...667f41033.mspx
>>
>> Perhaps it's a file permission problem, or where it's located.
>> You didn't copy these photo to "My Pictures" or "My Documents", did you?
>> Can you copy one to the Desktop, or to C:\Users\(youraccount)\Pictures
>> and
>> try to open it?
>> Can you open one with Internet Explorer?
>>

>> "Frustrated Chris" <FrustratedChris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:BB07D2E0-92E0-40FF-954E-6FAA16F315D1@microsoft.com...
>> >I copied them to the Vista computer.
>> >
>> > Thanks for the suggestion with Infanview, but there is no reason (in my
>> > opinion) that the Vista viewer should not read them. I plan on
>> > returning
>> > the
>> > new Vista system and buying a Mac if I cannot fix this.

Frustrated Chris

Re: Can't view old photos in Windows Vista Photo Gallery
It was actually an internal hard drive that I had as a 2nd drive on my old
computer and I made it external with one of those conversion boxes.

"Dave" wrote:

> Well, that could be, but I have .jpg photos taken as far back as 1997, with
> a Ricoh and 2 Olympus cameras.
> All of them open ok in Vista. Some of them came from a XP computer, and
> some probably came from a Win 98 computer.
>
> Can you tell us exactly what kind of external drive it is, and how you
> copied them?
> Or where you copied them?
> Did you import them with Windows Photo Gallery?
> Or did you add the external drive folder to Windows Photo Gallery?
> Can you get to them with Windows Explorer?
>
> You didn't say if you tried the couple of things I suggested.
>
> There is no magic answer to your problem.... we have to troubleshoot by
> finding out what you've done, and what works, and what doesn't.
>

> "Frustrated Chris" <FrustratedChris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message newsA8A28C5-0CFA-4EA0-8B9F-DA494E874EC5@microsoft.com...
> >I think the problem is that the files are coming from an XP computer. I
> >can
> > download new JPGs from email, the web or a digital camera just fine.
> >
> > It could have something to do with "ownership" of the files, but I have
> > tried everything and cannot get it to work.
> >
> > "Dave" wrote:
> >
> >> hmm, I have to believe that if these are valid .jpg files, Vista can &
> >> will
> >> open them.
> >>
> >> Here's a link to picture file types & how Vista handles them...
> >> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...667f41033.mspx
> >>
> >> Perhaps it's a file permission problem, or where it's located.
> >> You didn't copy these photo to "My Pictures" or "My Documents", did you?
> >> Can you copy one to the Desktop, or to C:\Users\(youraccount)\Pictures
> >> and
> >> try to open it?
> >> Can you open one with Internet Explorer?
> >>

> >> "Frustrated Chris" <FrustratedChris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:BB07D2E0-92E0-40FF-954E-6FAA16F315D1@microsoft.com...

Dion Brown

Re: Can't view old photos in Windows Vista Photo Gallery
If the drive is formatted at NTFS you will need to take ownership of the
files on the new machine. That is what I had to do when I plugged my USB
drive into my new machine.

I also had the same problem when I rebuilt my XP machine.

"Frustrated Chris" wrote:

> It was actually an internal hard drive that I had as a 2nd drive on my old
> computer and I made it external with one of those conversion boxes.
>

> "Dave" wrote:
>
> > Well, that could be, but I have .jpg photos taken as far back as 1997, with
> > a Ricoh and 2 Olympus cameras.
> > All of them open ok in Vista. Some of them came from a XP computer, and
> > some probably came from a Win 98 computer.
> >
> > Can you tell us exactly what kind of external drive it is, and how you
> > copied them?
> > Or where you copied them?
> > Did you import them with Windows Photo Gallery?
> > Or did you add the external drive folder to Windows Photo Gallery?
> > Can you get to them with Windows Explorer?
> >
> > You didn't say if you tried the couple of things I suggested.
> >
> > There is no magic answer to your problem.... we have to troubleshoot by
> > finding out what you've done, and what works, and what doesn't.
> >

> > "Frustrated Chris" <FrustratedChris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message newsA8A28C5-0CFA-4EA0-8B9F-DA494E874EC5@microsoft.com...
> > >I think the problem is that the files are coming from an XP computer. I
> > >can
> > > download new JPGs from email, the web or a digital camera just fine.
> > >
> > > It could have something to do with "ownership" of the files, but I have
> > > tried everything and cannot get it to work.

Jume

Re: Can't view old photos in Windows Vista Photo Gallery
just as a little info, i did exactly the same (move big quantity of pictures
from xp to another partition), though most of them were ok, i lost a
complete trip, and over 80% of other misc images that were not photos (and
they are redownloadeable, tx god lol)

curiously, the corrupted images (in the case of the trip, literally
nonexistant, xp did not even copied them, it did just only created the
folder structure and no more), were OUT of "my pictures"

my advice, when moving big quantities of pictures, to every one that want to
move pictures over different partitions with xp (tried with vista and did
not happened, but may as well take the same advice): DONT MOVE, COPY, and
until you are sure they are copied fine, not even think on erasing the
"originals", moreover, do a 2nd copy somewhere else