windows 2000 picture

Josh C

windows 2000 picture
I know this is not a real important question and I may be in the wrong group,
but MS is making it hard for me to find a Win2k group. Our company still has
one computer that runs windows 2k, and it can not be changed because of the
hardware it is running. Anyway there is a picture that was added to this
computer that I would like to get rid of. I did not add the picture, but it
needs to be removed. It only appears after the computer has been restarted.
It is not the wallpaper or the sceensaver. I have looked in a few places, but
am unable to find any pictures. Is there any common places to look that the
picture may be hidden in?
Dave

Re: windows 2000 picture
I see 27 newsgroups under the microsoft.public.win2000 hierarchy
I don't know how many are active, but you might try the
microsoft.public.win2000.general

You may have to post a snap shot of the screen somewhere, for people to see
what you mean...

"Josh C" <JoshC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know this is not a real important question and I may be in the wrong
>group,
> but MS is making it hard for me to find a Win2k group. Our company still
> has
> one computer that runs windows 2k, and it can not be changed because of
> the
> hardware it is running. Anyway there is a picture that was added to this
> computer that I would like to get rid of. I did not add the picture, but
> it
> needs to be removed. It only appears after the computer has been
> restarted.
> It is not the wallpaper or the sceensaver. I have looked in a few places,
> but
> am unable to find any pictures. Is there any common places to look that
> the
> picture may be hidden in?

Tim

Re: windows 2000 picture
OK...it's not the wallpaper or the screensaver...so then where does it
appear? Is it in a window on the desktop? Does it appear for a short period
of time and then goes away? If so, when do you see it and how long before it
goes away? You have to describe it better than just saying what it isn't.
Describe where you see it, what it looks like, and for how long you see it.

Tim

"Josh C" <JoshC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know this is not a real important question and I may be in the wrong
>group,
> but MS is making it hard for me to find a Win2k group. Our company still
> has
> one computer that runs windows 2k, and it can not be changed because of
> the
> hardware it is running. Anyway there is a picture that was added to this
> computer that I would like to get rid of. I did not add the picture, but
> it
> needs to be removed. It only appears after the computer has been
> restarted.
> It is not the wallpaper or the sceensaver. I have looked in a few places,
> but
> am unable to find any pictures. Is there any common places to look that
> the
> picture may be hidden in?

Josh C

Re: windows 2000 picture
Sorry, I did not explain better but it is on a computer that the user is
complaining to me about. I do not think it is large problem, but I am
instructed to fix it. It only seems to appear after the computer is restarted
and is only on the screen for a short time while the the operating system is
Once the user logs on to the computer, they never see it again until the
computer is restarted again. It is a personal picture of an ex-employee, so
they must have added it some time along the way. The user now is using the
same log in as the ex-employee to log on to the computer and the company
domain. Thank you for your help and I hope that you are not to bothered with
this simple question.

"Tim" wrote:

> OK...it's not the wallpaper or the screensaver...so then where does it
> appear? Is it in a window on the desktop? Does it appear for a short period
> of time and then goes away? If so, when do you see it and how long before it
> goes away? You have to describe it better than just saying what it isn't.
> Describe where you see it, what it looks like, and for how long you see it.
>
> Tim
>
> "Josh C" <JoshC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I know this is not a real important question and I may be in the wrong
> >group,
> > but MS is making it hard for me to find a Win2k group. Our company still
> > has
> > one computer that runs windows 2k, and it can not be changed because of
> > the
> > hardware it is running. Anyway there is a picture that was added to this
> > computer that I would like to get rid of. I did not add the picture, but
> > it
> > needs to be removed. It only appears after the computer has been
> > restarted.
> > It is not the wallpaper or the sceensaver. I have looked in a few places,
> > but
> > am unable to find any pictures. Is there any common places to look that
> > the
> > picture may be hidden in?

Tim

Re: windows 2000 picture
OK...now that makes more sense and it's no bother. I have seen this before
and always thought it was annoying. It has to do with the initial wallpaper
chosen...or something like that...but it's been so long since I used Windows
2000 or XP (short memory) that I don't remember the exact details behind the
cause.

But until someone else comes along with a better memory, there may be some
work-arounds. You could try setting the desktop to no wallpaper and then
reboot. If there are multiple accounts on the PC, set those accounts to no
wallpaper as well. Or just do a thorough search of the entire hard drive for
any graphics file (bmp and jpg) and view them individualy to see which is
the one you are looking for. A little time consuming if there are a lot of
them.

Tim

> Sorry, I did not explain better but it is on a computer that the user is
> complaining to me about. I do not think it is large problem, but I am
> instructed to fix it. It only seems to appear after the computer is
> restarted
> and is only on the screen for a short time while the the operating system
> is
> domain.
> Once the user logs on to the computer, they never see it again until the
> computer is restarted again. It is a personal picture of an ex-employee,
> so
> they must have added it some time along the way. The user now is using the
> same log in as the ex-employee to log on to the computer and the company
> domain. Thank you for your help and I hope that you are not to bothered
> with
> this simple question.
>
> "Tim" wrote:
>
>> OK...it's not the wallpaper or the screensaver...so then where does it
>> appear? Is it in a window on the desktop? Does it appear for a short
>> period
>> of time and then goes away? If so, when do you see it and how long before
>> it
>> goes away? You have to describe it better than just saying what it isn't.
>> Describe where you see it, what it looks like, and for how long you see
>> it.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> "Josh C" <JoshC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I know this is not a real important question and I may be in the wrong
>> >group,
>> > but MS is making it hard for me to find a Win2k group. Our company
>> > still
>> > has
>> > one computer that runs windows 2k, and it can not be changed because of
>> > the
>> > hardware it is running. Anyway there is a picture that was added to
>> > this
>> > computer that I would like to get rid of. I did not add the picture,
>> > but
>> > it
>> > needs to be removed. It only appears after the computer has been
>> > restarted.
>> > It is not the wallpaper or the sceensaver. I have looked in a few
>> > places,
>> > but
>> > am unable to find any pictures. Is there any common places to look that
>> > the
>> > picture may be hidden in?

Dave

Re: windows 2000 picture
Sounds like a login splash screen.. our company showed a computer policy
screen that you had to agree to, before you could log on. I forget what
it's called, "legal notice" or something.
I retired 8 months ago, so I can't check... ;-)

Check the logon scripts on the domain controllers (PDC & BDC)
You might look at this...
http://www.kozubik.com/published/ntloginscripts.txt

Something may be in the registry, also.