Recording from Tape Cassette to Wav or MP3

Bruce

Recording from Tape Cassette to Wav or MP3
I am in the process of converting my tape cassette recordings to WAV or MP3
files by using the line-in from my taope recorder to my sound card, however,
while recording, I cannot hear any sound from my speakers. On my old PC,
with Windows XP, I was able to hear what was being recorded, however in
Vista, I can hear nothing.

It is very difficult to record something I cannot hear, ans I need to know
when to stop the recorder for editing purposes?

Can someone help?
Cal Bear '66

Re: Recording from Tape Cassette to Wav or MP3
Right click the Speaker icon in the Notification Area of the Taskbar, select
Recording Devices. Do you see something like "Stereo Mix" (Realtek) or
"What-U-Hear" (Creative)? If so, select it as Default.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am in the process of converting my tape cassette recordings to WAV or MP3
> files by using the line-in from my taope recorder to my sound card, however,
> while recording, I cannot hear any sound from my speakers. On my old PC,
> with Windows XP, I was able to hear what was being recorded, however in
> Vista, I can hear nothing.
>
> It is very difficult to record something I cannot hear, ans I need to know
> when to stop the recorder for editing purposes?
>
> Can someone help?

Bruce

Re: Recording from Tape Cassette to Wav or MP3
Cal Bear 66

Nope!

The only three icons showing is Microphone, Rear Mic, and Line In (which I
made the default so it would work for recording my tape cassettes. It is
checked as "working"). The other two are showing as currently unavailable.
What to do now?

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Right click the Speaker icon in the Notification Area of the Taskbar, select
> Recording Devices. Do you see something like "Stereo Mix" (Realtek) or
> "What-U-Hear" (Creative)? If so, select it as Default.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am in the process of converting my tape cassette recordings to WAV or MP3
> > files by using the line-in from my taope recorder to my sound card, however,
> > while recording, I cannot hear any sound from my speakers. On my old PC,
> > with Windows XP, I was able to hear what was being recorded, however in
> > Vista, I can hear nothing.
> >
> > It is very difficult to record something I cannot hear, ans I need to know
> > when to stop the recorder for editing purposes?
> >
> > Can someone help?

Cal Bear '66

Re: Recording from Tape Cassette to Wav or MP3
Apparently, if you have a Sigma Tel audio adapter, you do not have this option.

Your computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer would have to supply you
with updated drivers that offer this capability.

You might also try right clicking in an empty area of the Recording Devices
window and selecting both Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.

--

> Cal Bear 66
>
> Nope!
>
> The only three icons showing is Microphone, Rear Mic, and Line In (which I
> made the default so it would work for recording my tape cassettes. It is
> checked as "working"). The other two are showing as currently unavailable.
> What to do now?
>

> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Right click the Speaker icon in the Notification Area of the Taskbar, select
>> Recording Devices. Do you see something like "Stereo Mix" (Realtek) or
>> "What-U-Hear" (Creative)? If so, select it as Default.
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am in the process of converting my tape cassette recordings to WAV or MP3
>> > files by using the line-in from my taope recorder to my sound card,
>> > however,
>> > while recording, I cannot hear any sound from my speakers. On my old PC,
>> > with Windows XP, I was able to hear what was being recorded, however in
>> > Vista, I can hear nothing.
>> >
>> > It is very difficult to record something I cannot hear, ans I need to know
>> > when to stop the recorder for editing purposes?
>> >
>> > Can someone help?

Bruce

Re: Recording from Tape Cassette to Wav or MP3
Cal Bear,

Yes, I do have Sigma Tel. I right clicked to show diabled and disconnected
devices and nothing was added. Hey, I forgot to tell you that I called the
Dell Chat 3 days ago and they told me that with Windows Vista, unlike Windows
XP (where I had no problems hearing recordings through my speakers) does not
allow listening through my speakers while I simultaneously record through
line in? I asked them why but they could not tell me. Do you think there is
a way aroundthis?
Bruce

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Apparently, if you have a Sigma Tel audio adapter, you do not have this option.
>
> Your computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer would have to supply you
> with updated drivers that offer this capability.
>
> You might also try right clicking in an empty area of the Recording Devices
> window and selecting both Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Cal Bear 66
> >
> > Nope!
> >
> > The only three icons showing is Microphone, Rear Mic, and Line In (which I
> > made the default so it would work for recording my tape cassettes. It is
> > checked as "working"). The other two are showing as currently unavailable.
> > What to do now?
> >

> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> Right click the Speaker icon in the Notification Area of the Taskbar, select
> >> Recording Devices. Do you see something like "Stereo Mix" (Realtek) or
> >> "What-U-Hear" (Creative)? If so, select it as Default.
> >>
> >> --
> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

Cal Bear '66

Re: Recording from Tape Cassette to Wav or MP3
It is NOT a Vista problem or limitation.

The only alternative, besides waiting for updated Sigma Tel drivers, is to
purchase and install a sound card that has this capability, such as the Creative
X-Fi series, among others.

--

> Cal Bear,
>
> Yes, I do have Sigma Tel. I right clicked to show diabled and disconnected
> devices and nothing was added. Hey, I forgot to tell you that I called the
> Dell Chat 3 days ago and they told me that with Windows Vista, unlike Windows
> XP (where I had no problems hearing recordings through my speakers) does not
> allow listening through my speakers while I simultaneously record through
> line in? I asked them why but they could not tell me. Do you think there is
> a way aroundthis?
> Bruce
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Apparently, if you have a Sigma Tel audio adapter, you do not have this
>> option.
>>
>> Your computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer would have to supply
>> you
>> with updated drivers that offer this capability.
>>
>> You might also try right clicking in an empty area of the Recording Devices
>> window and selecting both Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected
>> Devices.
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Cal Bear 66
>> >
>> > Nope!
>> >
>> > The only three icons showing is Microphone, Rear Mic, and Line In (which I
>> > made the default so it would work for recording my tape cassettes. It is
>> > checked as "working"). The other two are showing as currently unavailable.
>> > What to do now?

Bruce

Re: Recording from Tape Cassette to Wav or MP3
Cal bear,

OK, thanks. I just purcahsed this Dell. Why wouldn't Sigma tel offer this
basic capability? How weird.
Bruce

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> It is NOT a Vista problem or limitation.
>
> The only alternative, besides waiting for updated Sigma Tel drivers, is to
> purchase and install a sound card that has this capability, such as the Creative
> X-Fi series, among others.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Cal Bear,
> >
> > Yes, I do have Sigma Tel. I right clicked to show diabled and disconnected
> > devices and nothing was added. Hey, I forgot to tell you that I called the
> > Dell Chat 3 days ago and they told me that with Windows Vista, unlike Windows
> > XP (where I had no problems hearing recordings through my speakers) does not
> > allow listening through my speakers while I simultaneously record through
> > line in? I asked them why but they could not tell me. Do you think there is
> > a way aroundthis?
> > Bruce
> >
> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> Apparently, if you have a Sigma Tel audio adapter, you do not have this
> >> option.
> >>
> >> Your computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer would have to supply
> >> you
> >> with updated drivers that offer this capability.
> >>
> >> You might also try right clicking in an empty area of the Recording Devices
> >> window and selecting both Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected
> >> Devices.
> >>
> >> --
> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

Cal Bear '66

Re: Recording from Tape Cassette to Wav or MP3
It appears that Sigma Tel was bought by another company (IDG?) and they do not
write the drivers themselves, as do other audio adapter manufacturers, but, they
rely on computer manufacturers and motherboard manufacturers to write drivers.
Providing fully featured drivers might not be at the top of their list of things
to do.

--

> Cal bear,
>
> OK, thanks. I just purcahsed this Dell. Why wouldn't Sigma tel offer this
> basic capability? How weird.
> Bruce
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> It is NOT a Vista problem or limitation.
>>
>> The only alternative, besides waiting for updated Sigma Tel drivers, is to
>> purchase and install a sound card that has this capability, such as the
>> Creative
>> X-Fi series, among others.
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Cal Bear,
>> >
>> > Yes, I do have Sigma Tel. I right clicked to show diabled and disconnected
>> > devices and nothing was added. Hey, I forgot to tell you that I called the
>> > Dell Chat 3 days ago and they told me that with Windows Vista, unlike
>> > Windows
>> > XP (where I had no problems hearing recordings through my speakers) does
>> > not
>> > allow listening through my speakers while I simultaneously record through
>> > line in? I asked them why but they could not tell me. Do you think there
>> > is
>> > a way aroundthis?
>> > Bruce

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Recording from Tape Cassette to Wav or MP3
This may not be relevant, but think you'll be interested.

::: PlusDeck 2 ::::
http://www.plusdeck.com/Englishsite/product_01.html

--
Regards,