Movie Maker won't import MP3 files

Gaylen Michael

Movie Maker won't import MP3 files
Hello,

I have several customers who have all recently found a problem in Movie
Maker not importing MP3 files which playback just fine in the WMP. Is it
possible that Vista has screwed this up and gone backwards in functionality
that existed in XP?

Vista is really beginning to upset a lot of people out there it seems. I am
praying this is not a bug of some sort in Vista, given that I praised the OS
for it's multimedia editing features w/o testing them fully myself. I now
have a customer asking me to get it off and install XP.

I'm going to try this on my own Vista partition to see if it really is the
case or not.

Thx,
***len

Gaylen Michael

Re: Movie Maker won't import MP3 files
I was able to successfully import an mp3 file into MM in Vista on my own
machine. So, there's something wrong w/ their installations I assume.

Any ideas out there on where to start w/ this issue? Is it a bitrate issue?
All of these MP3 files in question have been ripped in WMP on the same Vista
installation's respectfully that are trying to import the files into MM.

"***len Michael" <myfullname@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have several customers who have all recently found a problem in Movie
> Maker not importing MP3 files which playback just fine in the WMP. Is it
> possible that Vista has screwed this up and gone backwards in
> functionality that existed in XP?
>
> Vista is really beginning to upset a lot of people out there it seems. I
> am praying this is not a bug of some sort in Vista, given that I praised
> the OS for it's multimedia editing features w/o testing them fully myself.
> I now have a customer asking me to get it off and install XP.
>
> I'm going to try this on my own Vista partition to see if it really is the
> case or not.
>
> Thx,
> ***len

Adam Albright

Re: Movie Maker won't import MP3 files
On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 15:55:54 -0500, "***len Michael"
<myfullname@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I was able to successfully import an mp3 file into MM in Vista on my own
>machine. So, there's something wrong w/ their installations I assume.
>
>Any ideas out there on where to start w/ this issue? Is it a bitrate issue?
>All of these MP3 files in question have been ripped in WMP on the same Vista
>installation's respectfully that are trying to import the files into MM.

Cookies to donuts I'll bet they're trying to just drag and drop to the
timeline and anal Movie Maker won't allow it.

You need to import the file (click on Audio or Music, select file)
then once it appears on screen as imported media THEN you can drag it
to the timeline from there. I just tried to drag and drop directly to
the timeline from the list of files (under import media items) and it
just shows a red X when you try that.

Gaylen Michael

Re: Movie Maker won't import MP3 files
Nope - I saw it w/ my own eyes. The user is actually importing the audio
file and receiving an unspecified error in MM.

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 15:55:54 -0500, "***len Michael"
> <myfullname@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I was able to successfully import an mp3 file into MM in Vista on my own
>>machine. So, there's something wrong w/ their installations I assume.
>>
>>Any ideas out there on where to start w/ this issue? Is it a bitrate
>>issue?
>>All of these MP3 files in question have been ripped in WMP on the same
>>Vista
>>installation's respectfully that are trying to import the files into MM.

> Cookies to donuts I'll bet they're trying to just drag and drop to the
> timeline and anal Movie Maker won't allow it.
>
> You need to import the file (click on Audio or Music, select file)
> then once it appears on screen as imported media THEN you can drag it
> to the timeline from there. I just tried to drag and drop directly to
> the timeline from the list of files (under import media items) and it
> just shows a red X when you try that.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Movie Maker won't import MP3 files

What's the difference between the files? I would suspect that the problem
likely lies within the ID3 tagging arena - there's lots of ways to do
interesting-to-unsupported things with ID3.

If you clear the ID3 tags from the file, do they then import?
What's the specific error text you get from Movie Maker?
I'd ask if that file opens up in GraphEdt.exe on your system, but I don't
imagine you have that on your system. Is there a sample broken file
somewhere to look at/analyze this with... ?

--
Speaking for myself only.
> Nope - I saw it w/ my own eyes. The user is actually importing the audio
> file and receiving an unspecified error in MM.
>

> "Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 15:55:54 -0500, "***len Michael"
>> <myfullname@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I was able to successfully import an mp3 file into MM in Vista on my own
>>>machine. So, there's something wrong w/ their installations I assume.
>>>
>>>Any ideas out there on where to start w/ this issue? Is it a bitrate
>>>issue?
>>>All of these MP3 files in question have been ripped in WMP on the same
>>>Vista
>>>installation's respectfully that are trying to import the files into MM.

>> Cookies to donuts I'll bet they're trying to just drag and drop to the
>> timeline and anal Movie Maker won't allow it.
>>
>> You need to import the file (click on Audio or Music, select file)
>> then once it appears on screen as imported media THEN you can drag it
>> to the timeline from there. I just tried to drag and drop directly to
>> the timeline from the list of files (under import media items) and it
>> just shows a red X when you try that.

Gaylen

Re: Movie Maker won't import MP3 files
Thanks for the suggestions...I will analyze w/ GraphEdt.exe the next time I
am onsite w/ the customer which is scheduled for next Saturday. Must I
analyze the file from the Vista machine in question or can I analyze the
file from another machine (mine that is running XP)?

I wouldn't think it's an ID3 tag related issue given that these MP3 files
were generated w/ the WMP in Vista on the same machine we are trying to
import into MM.

"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> What's the difference between the files? I would suspect that the problem
> likely lies within the ID3 tagging arena - there's lots of ways to do
> interesting-to-unsupported things with ID3.
>
> If you clear the ID3 tags from the file, do they then import?
> What's the specific error text you get from Movie Maker?
> I'd ask if that file opens up in GraphEdt.exe on your system, but I don't
> imagine you have that on your system. Is there a sample broken file
> somewhere to look at/analyze this with... ?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> rights.
> --
> "***len Michael" <myfullname@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Nope - I saw it w/ my own eyes. The user is actually importing the audio
>> file and receiving an unspecified error in MM.
>>

>> "Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message

>>> Cookies to donuts I'll bet they're trying to just drag and drop to the
>>> timeline and anal Movie Maker won't allow it.
>>>
>>> You need to import the file (click on Audio or Music, select file)
>>> then once it appears on screen as imported media THEN you can drag it
>>> to the timeline from there. I just tried to drag and drop directly to
>>> the timeline from the list of files (under import media items) and it
>>> just shows a red X when you try that.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Movie Maker won't import MP3 files

You would definitely want to try that on the Vista machine since that would
be the one that would have the filters that were being used for decoding.
You could try it on XP, but that would be much more inconclusive.

--
Speaking for myself only.