CD problem

pookie

CD problem
photo CDs burned last year, but not viewed recently, are not read by my
computer. When prompted to insert CD, nothing happens.
Tim

Re: CD problem
Approach this systematically...can the older CDs be read on other PCs? Can
your PC read newly created CDs? This will tell you if your older disks are
bad or if the optical drive on your PC is bad. When you say "not read" do
you mean the disc doesn't spin up? Do you get an error message? Do the disks
appear to be blank? Are you using a photo-related application to read the
disks? Have you tried using just Windows Explorer?

Please post back with an update.

Tim

"Tim" wrote:

> Approach this systematically...can the older CDs be read on other PCs? Can
> your PC read newly created CDs? This will tell you if your older disks are
> bad or if the optical drive on your PC is bad. When you say "not read" do
> you mean the disc doesn't spin up? Do you get an error message? Do the disks
> appear to be blank? Are you using a photo-related application to read the
> disks? Have you tried using just Windows Explorer?
>
> Please post back with an update.
>
> Tim
>
> "pookie" <pookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > photo CDs burned last year, but not viewed recently, are not read by my
> > computer. When prompted to insert CD, nothing happens.

I've been using Windows Explorer, just inserting the CD, and wait...the box
comes up after I've already inserted the CD and says "please insert CD"....it
does nothing at that point. The CDs all look like there is something on them,
and I have viewed them in the past, not recently, tho. I tried to put new
photos on a new blank CD, but don't remember where the "burn CD" part
is...(it's been awhile since I did it.) I don't have another pc to see if the
CD can be read.
Adam Albright

Re: CD problem
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 16:12:01 -0700, pookie
<pookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Tim" wrote:
>
>> Approach this systematically...can the older CDs be read on other PCs? Can
>> your PC read newly created CDs? This will tell you if your older disks are
>> bad or if the optical drive on your PC is bad. When you say "not read" do
>> you mean the disc doesn't spin up? Do you get an error message? Do the disks
>> appear to be blank? Are you using a photo-related application to read the
>> disks? Have you tried using just Windows Explorer?
>>
>> Please post back with an update.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> "pookie" <pookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > photo CDs burned last year, but not viewed recently, are not read by my
>> > computer. When prompted to insert CD, nothing happens.

>I've been using Windows Explorer, just inserting the CD, and wait...the box
>comes up after I've already inserted the CD and says "please insert CD"....it
>does nothing at that point. The CDs all look like there is something on them,
>and I have viewed them in the past, not recently, tho. I tried to put new
>photos on a new blank CD, but don't remember where the "burn CD" part
>is...(it's been awhile since I did it.) I don't have another pc to see if the
>CD can be read.

Not sure what you're trying to do. There are two broad categories of
CDs. The first are called data CDs and basically all you're doing is
simply "copying" files from your hard drive to the CD. These can be
played back by inserting the CD back into your computer once it is
burned and some file types like JPGs can also be played in free
standing CD players which can read these data CDs. For that be SURE
you select the second format option under Burn when you first insert
the blank CD.

The second broad class involves converting the files so they can be
read and in effect played as a running slide show or a lower quality
MPEG-1 format video for example. You can make the first type (data
disc) using Windows Explorer. The second type can be made using Movie
Maker.

To make the first type (a data CD) insert a blank unformatted CD then
open Windows Explorer and change to one of the icon views so you can
see the images. Select those you want, then click burn. That's all you
need to do. You have two format options. SELECT IT FIRST! The first
allows you to add files at a later time, but this kind only plays back
on computers, the second option closes the CD regardless how many
images you select but the advantage it will play on some CD/DVD
players not connected to any computer.

To make a slide show the process is similar. Open Movie Maker, IMPORT
the files you want, then AFTER they appear on screen drag them to the
timeline in any order you like add transitions, etc.. Then follow the
prompts to "publish".

As far as playing old CDs that did work in XP, don't know, they
probably changed the formatting under Vista and just guessing, it
can't read the older format. Don't have anything to test on.