Burned DVD won't play in a DVD player

dawgskitten

Burned DVD won't play in a DVD player
I created a slide show of my vacation with music and fades and burned it to a
DVD+R but when I tried to play it in my DVD player to watch on tv it wouldn't
work. It plays on my computer but not in my DVD player. It wouldnt even
work on my mothers or my father in laws DVD players. Help.
Adam Albright

Re: Burned DVD won't play in a DVD player
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:18:01 -0700, dawgskitten
<dawgskitten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I created a slide show of my vacation with music and fades and burned it to a
>DVD+R but when I tried to play it in my DVD player to watch on tv it wouldn't
>work. It plays on my computer but not in my DVD player. It wouldnt even
>work on my mothers or my father in laws DVD players. Help.

HOW did you make this DVD?

If you just dragged files to some blank DVD, that is the likely source
of your problem. A sideshow is just a series of still images, perhaps
with transitions in between and a sound track. To get them to play on
stand alone DVD players they have to conform to specs, ie be converted
to MPEG-2 format. So while you may call it a slide show, you're really
trying to make a video.

Tim

Re: Burned DVD won't play in a DVD player
In addition to Adam's reply...you must also ensure the DVD player supports
viewing of "home made" DVDs. Most modern players do but you still need to be
aware of the older players that don't support it. Just check the player's
manual...it will list supported formats.

Tim

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 16:07:59 -0600, "Tim" <tim_at_overthere.com> wrote:

>In addition to Adam's reply...you must also ensure the DVD player supports
>viewing of "home made" DVDs. Most modern players do but you still need to be
>aware of the older players that don't support it. Just check the player's
>manual...it will list supported formats.

I forgot to mention http://www.vcdhelp.com

This is a nice site that's been around for a long time. On it you'll
find a lot of help on a wide range of video topics all geared to
making better videos, converting formats, editing, etc.. One nice
feature is their compatibility lists (in the left margin) where forum
members have reported their results using various blank media and how
well it performs... or doesn't on hundreds of different DVD players.

In the "old day" (just 4-5 years ago) it used to be a BIG problem when
a lot of players wouldn't play this format or that or had trouble with
certain brands. If you have a "new" DVD player, maybe no more than two
years old, you shouldn't have that many problems, but if yours is
older good idea to check out the list and see what others have
experienced.

geezer10

Re: Burned DVD won't play in a DVD player

DVD+R is a newer format, not so good in older players. I would try DVD-R
if your burner supports it.

You should also look into updating the firmware on your burner. This
often fixes the problem.

you can find out what kind of burner you have in Control Panel | Device
Manager. You can set the region there too.

--
geezer10