Photos..600dpi converting to 96dpi when emailed HELP PLEASE

Dee

Photos..600dpi converting to 96dpi when emailed HELP PLEASE
Sending manuscript with color photos to a book publisher. I received photos
via email from a photograper friend. Viewing in My Pictures is great both
received and when sent to other friends via email. (Explorer 7) All photos
were converted in Digital Imaging Suite 6 to 600 dpi for submission. When
emailed as attachments, or within manuscript, all are converting to 96dpi.
They have to be minimum 300dpi for commercial printing. Publisher also
converted pics to 300dpi at their end and returned to me to be inserted into
manscript. The same result...converted 96dpi.
We have also tried Publisher and Picasa with same result. Trying to get
this cookbook to press...desperately need advise. We are all stymied.
Thanks DD1225
John Inzer

Re: Photos..600dpi converting to 96dpi when emailed HELP PLEASE
Dee wrote:
> Sending manuscript with color photos to a book publisher. I received
> photos via email from a photograper friend. Viewing in My Pictures
> is great both received and when sent to other friends via email.
> (Explorer 7) All photos were converted in Digital Imaging Suite 6 to
> 600 dpi for submission. When emailed as attachments, or within
> manuscript, all are converting to 96dpi. They have to be minimum
> 300dpi for commercial printing. Publisher also converted pics to
> 300dpi at their end and returned to me to be inserted into manscript.
> The same result...converted 96dpi.
> We have also tried Publisher and Picasa with same result. Trying to
> get this cookbook to press...desperately need advise. We are all
> stymied. Thanks DD1225

============================
I would suspect that your 600 dpi files
are several MBs each and may be
too large for e-mail...especially if you
attach several to one message.

Try the following...open Windows Mail
and click the Create Mail button.

On the New Message screen click the
Attachment button (paperclip) and
browse to the folder that contains the
files. Choose one and try sending it.

Also it may be worth a try to upload
all the images to a site like the following
and send your recipients a link for down-

"YouSendIt"
http://www.yousendit.com/

All you have to do is enter any e-mail
address in the Recipient field and
click the browse button to select the
image you wish to upload. Then
click the "Send It" button.

The next screen that appears will give
you the download link. Just copy/paste
it into a message to your recipient.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Dee

RE: Photos..600dpi converting to 96dpi when emailed HELP PLEASE
Thank you for your input. The Publisher has been using this email submission
format for quite awhile with no problem. It is only since the last major
Microsoft upgrade that this problem has occurred according to them. It is
not anything we are doing, as it is happening to other authors as well.
There are indeed many MB's but the problem is the same even if each
individual picture is sent as an attachment. The number of MB or KB does not
seem to matter. I should have mentioned that my daughter has a Masters in
Instructional Technology...for me to be stymied is easily understood, but not
her......lol. Sorry I wasn't more succinct with my discription...I am using
XP Pro.

In addition, I have never encountered a problem of changing the dpi
resolution before. If you have any other possible solutions, they are most
welcome.

"Dee" wrote:

> Sending manuscript with color photos to a book publisher. I received photos
> via email from a photograper friend. Viewing in My Pictures is great both
> received and when sent to other friends via email. (Explorer 7) All photos
> were converted in Digital Imaging Suite 6 to 600 dpi for submission. When
> emailed as attachments, or within manuscript, all are converting to 96dpi.
> They have to be minimum 300dpi for commercial printing. Publisher also
> converted pics to 300dpi at their end and returned to me to be inserted into
> manscript. The same result...converted 96dpi.
> We have also tried Publisher and Picasa with same result. Trying to get
> this cookbook to press...desperately need advise. We are all stymied.
> Thanks DD1225

Dee

Re: Photos..600dpi converting to 96dpi when emailed HELP PLEASE
Thank you for your response. The Publisher has been using this format for
quite awhile with no problems until they did a major Microsoft upgrade.
Other authors are experiencing the same problem we are, so obviously this is
a Microsoft issue.

Sorry I did not give a more succinct definition of the problem. Also, my
daughter has a Masters in Instructional Technology so the problem goes beyond
basic info. Actually, it doesn't seem to matter how many MB's or KB's the
pictures are in. Even attached individually and sent one at a time, they
still convert to the 96dpi.
Does anyone know of a Hotmail email issue?

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Dee wrote:
> > Sending manuscript with color photos to a book publisher. I received
> > photos via email from a photograper friend. Viewing in My Pictures
> > is great both received and when sent to other friends via email.
> > (Explorer 7) All photos were converted in Digital Imaging Suite 6 to
> > 600 dpi for submission. When emailed as attachments, or within
> > manuscript, all are converting to 96dpi. They have to be minimum
> > 300dpi for commercial printing. Publisher also converted pics to
> > 300dpi at their end and returned to me to be inserted into manscript.
> > The same result...converted 96dpi.
> > We have also tried Publisher and Picasa with same result. Trying to
> > get this cookbook to press...desperately need advise. We are all
> > stymied. Thanks DD1225

> ============================
> I would suspect that your 600 dpi files
> are several MBs each and may be
> too large for e-mail...especially if you
> attach several to one message.
>
> Try the following...open Windows Mail
> and click the Create Mail button.
>
> On the New Message screen click the
> Attachment button (paperclip) and
> browse to the folder that contains the
> files. Choose one and try sending it.
>
> Also it may be worth a try to upload
> all the images to a site like the following
> and send your recipients a link for down-
>
> "YouSendIt"
> http://www.yousendit.com/
>
> All you have to do is enter any e-mail
> address in the Recipient field and
> click the browse button to select the
> image you wish to upload. Then
> click the "Send It" button.
>
> The next screen that appears will give
> you the download link. Just copy/paste
> it into a message to your recipient.
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Picture It! -
> Digital Image MVP
>
> Digital Image
> Highlights and FAQs
> http://tinyurl.com/aczzp
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

Michael

Re: Photos..600dpi converting to 96dpi when emailed HELP PLEASE
You might receive more direct help if question is directed to an XP group
rather than this Vista group.

"Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for your input. The Publisher has been using this email
> submission
> format for quite awhile with no problem. It is only since the last major
> Microsoft upgrade that this problem has occurred according to them. It is
> not anything we are doing, as it is happening to other authors as well.
> There are indeed many MB's but the problem is the same even if each
> individual picture is sent as an attachment. The number of MB or KB does
> not
> seem to matter. I should have mentioned that my daughter has a Masters in
> Instructional Technology...for me to be stymied is easily understood, but
> not
> her......lol. Sorry I wasn't more succinct with my discription...I am
> using
> XP Pro.
>
> In addition, I have never encountered a problem of changing the dpi
> resolution before. If you have any other possible solutions, they are
> most
> welcome.
>
> "Dee" wrote:
>
>> Sending manuscript with color photos to a book publisher. I received
>> photos
>> via email from a photograper friend. Viewing in My Pictures is great
>> both
>> received and when sent to other friends via email. (Explorer 7) All
>> photos
>> were converted in Digital Imaging Suite 6 to 600 dpi for submission.
>> When
>> emailed as attachments, or within manuscript, all are converting to
>> 96dpi.
>> They have to be minimum 300dpi for commercial printing. Publisher also
>> converted pics to 300dpi at their end and returned to me to be inserted
>> into
>> manscript. The same result...converted 96dpi.
>> We have also tried Publisher and Picasa with same result. Trying to get
>> this cookbook to press...desperately need advise. We are all stymied.
>> Thanks DD1225

Adam Albright

Re: Photos..600dpi converting to 96dpi when emailed HELP PLEASE
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:32:04 -0700, Dee <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Thank you for your response. The Publisher has been using this format for
>quite awhile with no problems until they did a major Microsoft upgrade.
>Other authors are experiencing the same problem we are, so obviously this is
>a Microsoft issue.

How exactly are you trying to send these images?

While you say you emailed them as attachments I'm not clear on what
application you used to SEND the attachments and what settings you
used. A normal email client won't change the resolution or size of any
attachments. The usual problem is if the file is too big your ISP may
refuse it or it could get refused at the destination or anywhere in
between.

Jonsey

RE: Photos..600dpi converting to 96dpi when emailed HELP PLEASE
I'm having the same problem, and I've noticed that it has nothing to do with
email. I scan my images at 600 dpi, and when I insert them into the
manuscript, they convert to 96dpi. Does anyone have a solution?

Jonsey wrote:
> I'm having the same problem, and I've noticed that it has nothing to
> do with email. I scan my images at 600 dpi, and when I insert them
> into the manuscript, they convert to 96dpi. Does anyone have a
> solution?

What program are you using to create your manuscript?

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Jonsey

Re: Photos..600dpi converting to 96dpi when emailed HELP PLEASE
Microsoft Office Word 2007.

Jonsey wrote:
> Microsoft Office Word 2007.

=====================================
Try posting your question in the Word newsgroup:

Word General Questions
http://tinyurl.com/2bgj5
or...
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...&lang=en&cr=US