Ping: Cal Bear 66 - Realtek Update

Ryka

Ping: Cal Bear 66 - Realtek Update
Regarding the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Update - Don't know if
you remember but I asked you about the version number I downloaded. The
first was 6.0.1.5322 and then it went to 6.0.1.5337. I asked you if this
sounded right and you mentioned 6.0.1.5397 before your update. So, I figured
I better look into this. I downloaded it again, and, as before it removed
the previous driver(s) - but it didn't install an updated driver. When I
checked Device Manager Realtek had disappeared and only Microsoft was left!
So...gave it another try - and this time it installed the correct updated
driver 6.0.1.5436. I didn't realize that I would have to remove each
preceding driver one at a time in order to install the updated one. The
oldest driver was 11/06, then 12/06, and the third was 3/07 or 4/07. Now
it's marked 6/22/07. Gave me a scare when Realtek disappeared from the list!
Thanks.

Cal Bear '66

Re: Cal Bear 66 - Realtek Update
Yes, it is always a good idea to remove older versions first when updating
drivers.

I finally got around to installing ver. 1.70, and now my version in Device
Manager is 6.0.1.5436.

It seems that Realtek is releasing a new version about every 2-3 weeks. But I
can't really detect any sound quality difference, or any functionality
difference in the Realtek HD Audio Manager.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
> Regarding the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Update - Don't know if you
> remember but I asked you about the version number I downloaded. The first was
> 6.0.1.5322 and then it went to 6.0.1.5337. I asked you if this sounded right
> and you mentioned 6.0.1.5397 before your update. So, I figured I better look
> into this. I downloaded it again, and, as before it removed the previous
> driver(s) - but it didn't install an updated driver. When I checked Device
> Manager Realtek had disappeared and only Microsoft was left! So...gave it
> another try - and this time it installed the correct updated driver
> 6.0.1.5436. I didn't realize that I would have to remove each preceding driver
> one at a time in order to install the updated one. The oldest driver was
> 11/06, then 12/06, and the third was 3/07 or 4/07. Now it's marked 6/22/07.
> Gave me a scare when Realtek disappeared from the list! Thanks.

Ryka

Re: Cal Bear 66 - Realtek Update
So...when a new update comes out, it will uninstall the old driver and then
after restarting the computer I need to go back to the Realtek site and
download the update to install it? I don't notice a difference in the sound
quality either. Thanks again.

"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
> Yes, it is always a good idea to remove older versions first when updating
> drivers.
>
> I finally got around to installing ver. 1.70, and now my version in Device
> Manager is 6.0.1.5436.
>
> It seems that Realtek is releasing a new version about every 2-3 weeks.
> But I can't really detect any sound quality difference, or any
> functionality difference in the Realtek HD Audio Manager.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
>> Regarding the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Update - Don't know if
>> you remember but I asked you about the version number I downloaded. The
>> first was 6.0.1.5322 and then it went to 6.0.1.5337. I asked you if this
>> sounded right and you mentioned 6.0.1.5397 before your update. So, I
>> figured I better look into this. I downloaded it again, and, as before it
>> removed the previous driver(s) - but it didn't install an updated driver.
>> When I checked Device Manager Realtek had disappeared and only Microsoft
>> was left! So...gave it another try - and this time it installed the
>> correct updated driver 6.0.1.5436. I didn't realize that I would have to
>> remove each preceding driver one at a time in order to install the
>> updated one. The oldest driver was 11/06, then 12/06, and the third was
>> 3/07 or 4/07. Now it's marked 6/22/07. Gave me a scare when Realtek
>> disappeared from the list! Thanks.

Cal Bear '66

Re: Cal Bear 66 - Realtek Update
I always save my driver downloads to an appropriately named folder (device and
version) on my desktop.

I manually uninstall the device from Device Manager (and click the remove files
box -- IF offered), then I go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and
uninstall any entries related to the device (except other device programs that
require a separate download and install). After a reboot (Windows will usually
automatically install drivers, but IF offered the option to install drivers, I
click Cancel on any dialogs. Then I install the new drivers and reboot. Many
driver installs do not remove previous drivers and conflicts can result.

--

> So...when a new update comes out, it will uninstall the old driver and then
> after restarting the computer I need to go back to the Realtek site and
> download the update to install it? I don't notice a difference in the sound
> quality either. Thanks again.
>

> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
>> Yes, it is always a good idea to remove older versions first when updating
>> drivers.
>>
>> I finally got around to installing ver. 1.70, and now my version in Device
>> Manager is 6.0.1.5436.
>>
>> It seems that Realtek is releasing a new version about every 2-3 weeks. But I
>> can't really detect any sound quality difference, or any functionality
>> difference in the Realtek HD Audio Manager.
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
>>> Regarding the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Update - Don't know if
>>> you remember but I asked you about the version number I downloaded. The
>>> first was 6.0.1.5322 and then it went to 6.0.1.5337. I asked you if this
>>> sounded right and you mentioned 6.0.1.5397 before your update. So, I figured
>>> I better look into this. I downloaded it again, and, as before it removed
>>> the previous driver(s) - but it didn't install an updated driver. When I
>>> checked Device Manager Realtek had disappeared and only Microsoft was left!
>>> So...gave it another try - and this time it installed the correct updated
>>> driver 6.0.1.5436. I didn't realize that I would have to remove each
>>> preceding driver one at a time in order to install the updated one. The
>>> oldest driver was 11/06, then 12/06, and the third was 3/07 or 4/07. Now
>>> it's marked 6/22/07. Gave me a scare when Realtek disappeared from the list!
>>> Thanks.

Ryka

Re: Cal Bear 66 - Realtek Update
Thanks for the advice - it sounds much more effective to do it your way.
That way all the old is off before the new is installed.

>I always save my driver downloads to an appropriately named folder (device
>and version) on my desktop.
>
> I manually uninstall the device from Device Manager (and click the remove
> files box -- IF offered), then I go to Control Panel > Programs and
> Features and uninstall any entries related to the device (except other
> device programs that require a separate download and install). After a
> reboot (Windows will usually automatically install drivers, but IF offered
> the option to install drivers, I click Cancel on any dialogs. Then I
> install the new drivers and reboot. Many driver installs do not remove
> previous drivers and conflicts can result.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
>> So...when a new update comes out, it will uninstall the old driver and
>> then after restarting the computer I need to go back to the Realtek site
>> and download the update to install it? I don't notice a difference in the
>> sound quality either. Thanks again.
>>

>> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
>>> Yes, it is always a good idea to remove older versions first when
>>> updating drivers.
>>>
>>> I finally got around to installing ver. 1.70, and now my version in
>>> Device Manager is 6.0.1.5436.
>>>
>>> It seems that Realtek is releasing a new version about every 2-3 weeks.
>>> But I can't really detect any sound quality difference, or any
>>> functionality difference in the Realtek HD Audio Manager.
>>>
>>> --
>>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>>> GO BEARS!

Cal Bear '66

Re: Cal Bear 66 - Realtek Update
Just be careful when you delete items in Control Panel > Programs and Features,
that you are not deleting programs that are not driver related. (Programs that
use the device, but require a separate download and install.)

In Realtek's case, it is good to remove the Realtek HD Audio Manager. In
Creative's case, it is good to remove the Creative Audio Console.

When you install a driver you should carefully note which items it adds to