Thumbnail Preview Problem

Eric

Thumbnail Preview Problem
OK, this is a good one. I am running windows Vista Premium. I have a
directory loaded with images that were all edited by Google Picasa. When I
open the directory, I have it set to display the image icon as a thumbnail
preview. In other words, the icon is a small picture of the image itself.
Some of the image icons display the correct thumbnail preview image, but
others just display the default "image file picture" and not a preview of the
image (again, we are in the SAME directory). All settings are correct. Has
anyone had this happen and does anyone have a solution? They are all JPG
images and open correctly when on click on them (the images are not corrupt).
Adam Albright

Re: Thumbnail Preview Problem
On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 09:46:02 -0700, Eric
<Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>OK, this is a good one. I am running windows Vista Premium. I have a
>directory loaded with images that were all edited by Google Picasa. When I
>open the directory, I have it set to display the image icon as a thumbnail
>preview. In other words, the icon is a small picture of the image itself.
>Some of the image icons display the correct thumbnail preview image, but
>others just display the default "image file picture" and not a preview of the
>image (again, we are in the SAME directory). All settings are correct. Has
>anyone had this happen and does anyone have a solution? They are all JPG
>images and open correctly when on click on them (the images are not corrupt).

More professional grade software such as Photoshop will likely show
that not all your JPEG images are of the same flavor. There are many
variations in this common file type that could be part of the problem.
Another issue could be the routine that is generating the thumbnails
may have difficulty generating a thumbnail on random files and just
jumps over them to go on to the next ones. Also if you're in a larger
folder with many files the thumbnails may not get generated in order.
So you may see the first 30 or so, then just some placeholders, then
some more actual thumbnails further down. If you move the scroll bar
down, wait, then go back up Windows may have filled in some more
actual thumbnails by this time.

Yes I see this happen all the time, for sure it is annoying especially
when later you can open the file and view it without issue. Post one
of these problem files so others can see how it behaves on their
system.

BillMonty

RE: Thumbnail Preview Problem
Another possible problem is that you may have installed or uninstalled a
program that deleted the registry keys you need in order to view the
thumbnails.

I ran into the same probem with all 4,000 of my family pictures in .jpg
format. Windows Vista Media Center would show the folders, but it wouldn't
show thumbnails and it would show the folders as empty.

Turns out that I had uninstalled Nero a few days before and the uninstall
killed the registry keys that Media Center needed to recognize .jpg files.
My .jpgs would open and be recognized in other programs, but not in Vista.

There were only 2 solutions in my case and that was to either edit the
registry to add back the missing keys or to do a complete re-install of
Vista. I had to do a lot of google searches but I found the missing keys and
was able to edit the registry.

Tink

RE: Thumbnail Preview Problem
I have a problem copying jpg or wma files from Vista to XP. The files are
corrupted somehow in the process. I had better luck getting the files from
Vista to XP using XP to do the copying. I think other file types might get
corruped too. I have since dumped Vista and returned to XP. I will go back
to Vista once I find an answer to this problem. Right now it is a show
stopper.

"Eric" wrote:

> OK, this is a good one. I am running windows Vista Premium. I have a
> directory loaded with images that were all edited by Google Picasa. When I
> open the directory, I have it set to display the image icon as a thumbnail
> preview. In other words, the icon is a small picture of the image itself.
> Some of the image icons display the correct thumbnail preview image, but
> others just display the default "image file picture" and not a preview of the
> image (again, we are in the SAME directory). All settings are correct. Has
> anyone had this happen and does anyone have a solution? They are all JPG
> images and open correctly when on click on them (the images are not corrupt).

mb123 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
.jpg & .mpg thumbnail previews not shown
Hello, I think you could try the following.

1) right click on the file thumbnail,
2) select "choose default programme"

(note: at this point don't just select open with "windows photo gallery" as this will only immediately open the file and won't change the preview thumbnail, make sure you use choose default programme option).

(see the attached image "open with.jpg" to see a picture of this. If it isn't attached then I have had trouble uploading it - but don't worry it is only an extra picture and isn't necessary)

3) on the next screen select windows photo gallery and then click OK.

If this doeen't work try following the above steps again but choose the open with default temporarily as a different programme at step 3 (e.g. 'paint') and press apply. Then try changing back again to windows photo gallery as the default repeating steps 1 to 3 again.

Hopefully the thumbnail previews will now appear.
If you happen to have similar problems with icons of movies files such as .mpg not showing previews then you can follow a similar set of steps to see if this will work:

To do this
1) right click on the file thumbnail,
2) select "choose default programme"

Note: at this point don't just select open with "media centre" as this will only immediately open the file and won't change the preview thumbnail, make sure you use choose default programme option).

(See the attached image called "open with" to see a picture of this step. If it isn't uploaded here don't be concerned - it was only an extra picture.

3) on the next screen select media centre. Click OK

(see the attached uploaded picture called "open with Media Centre", if this isn't loaded don't be concerned it was only a picture of this step to try to help)

Hopefully the thumbnail previews will now appear.

Now repeat the procedure (with one small change) to change back to windows media player as the default, i.e.,

4) right click on the file thumbnail
5) select "choose default programme"
6) on the next screen select the Windows Media Player. Click OK

All going well this will have re-jigged Windows Media Player to be your default player, and the icons will again appear as Preview Thumbnails.

One other thing that I found helpful is to make sure that the folder type is set to "pictures and videos".

To do this:
1) right click the folder icon (not the file icon)
2) click on properties
3) select the customise tab
4) look for where it asks "what kind of folder do you want?"
5) select "pictures & videos"

I realise that I have posted this well after the initial question. It may still be relevant to someone out there though, and I hope it helps you. Hopefully I haven't confused anyone.

I am afraid to say I spent many hours trying to sort out this simple problem (including trying to do registry edits which I had no idea about). I also took my computer to the shop a couple of times to have it fixed. The second time they quickly showed me this method, however when I tried it again some months later I kept missing a step (choose default option), and instead just tried to open immediately with the relevant program - which didn't change the icons, and ended up getting nowhere.

If it does help someone out there could someone post a simple reply? It would be some comfort to me to know I have helped someone, after my hours of trying to sort out this problem. Don't worry if you are too busy.

Best regards,

mb123
Attached Images
File Type: jpg open with.jpg (25.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Open with Media Centre.jpg (41.3 KB, 1 views)
Dave D

Re: Thumbnail Preview Problem
I'm sorry that this was not very helpful! I'm running Windows XP, not Vista