Viewing images on dual monitors

Melee

Viewing images on dual monitors
Well I think this image should show the problem. On the right monitor (which
the graphics card sees as the primary monitor, even if Vista doesn't) images
display properly, but on the left monitor they're red.

Driver issue? I have a Geforce 8800.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Untitled-1.png
Graham Hughes

Re: Viewing images on dual monitors
Most likely, whch driver are you using.

I don't have vista installed at the moment, but with my 8500gt I didn't have
any problems with dual monitors using the vista driver on n-vidia web-site.

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Melee" <Melee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well I think this image should show the problem. On the right monitor
> (which
> the graphics card sees as the primary monitor, even if Vista doesn't)
> images
> display properly, but on the left monitor they're red.
>
> Driver issue? I have a Geforce 8800.
>
> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Untitled-1.png

Dave

Re: Viewing images on dual monitors
I'm running dual LCD monitors on my GeForce 7800 GTX, using the 158.24
drivers.

My left one (Planar 17") is slightly warmer (redder) than the right one
(Gateway 19")
I can't quite get the colors to match, but they aren't off as much as yours.

"Melee" <Melee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well I think this image should show the problem. On the right monitor
> (which
> the graphics card sees as the primary monitor, even if Vista doesn't)
> images
> display properly, but on the left monitor they're red.
>
> Driver issue? I have a Geforce 8800.
>
> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Untitled-1.png

Adam Albright

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 11:46:26 -0400, "Dave" <dave@beepbeep.com> wrote:

>I'm running dual LCD monitors on my GeForce 7800 GTX, using the 158.24
>drivers.
>
>My left one (Planar 17") is slightly warmer (redder) than the right one
>(Gateway 19")
>I can't quite get the colors to match, but they aren't off as much as yours.

If you're using the same graphics card to run both monitors then very
likely one or both monitors are not properly calibrated and this is
more likely the cause of your problem, not your graphic card or it's
drivers.

Can you fix this? Yes, assuming your monitors are fairly new it is
pretty straightforward. Assumes you have already done or plan to do a
traditional calibration. How to do that is covered in detail on
countless web pages and there are at least two DVDs out that give more
precise steps that mainly apply to tvs for home theater setup but the
principle is the same. Just doing this may be good enough for your
needs.

If you want better results once you have archived basic calibration
which in the context I'm using it here meaning you have established a
correct white and black point (by tweaking the monitor's
brightness/picture/contrast controls) and proper color temperature for
each monitor then the next and key step is to feed each monitor the
SAME signal at the same time. If you skip this, then you'll never get
the monitors to match exactly.

There are more advanced methods involving expensive hardware which you
probably don't want to buy or rent so a cheaper but nearly as
effective method follows:

Needed: A set up DVD player and a Distribution Amplifier like the
Radio Shack #15-1172 or a similar device which costs about $50.

Disconnect both monitors from computer. Feed the output from your DVD
player into the input of the Distributions Amplifier. Feed a output
from the amplifier to each monitor. Start up DVD player and monitors.
This distribution amplifier ensures EACH monitor gets the same signal
strength. If you skip and just use cable splitters one monitor will
get a stronger signal at the expense of the other not only resulting
in a darker picture on one monitor but totally defeating what you're
attempting to do.

Make whatever small adjustments using the monitor's build-in controls
until you achieve the best possible match on each monitor. While it is
difficult to get precisely the same even with identical brands of
monitor, you should be able to get very close. For best results do a
freeze frame or better a series of still images from a custom slide
show you've made a burned to a DVD, ideally with close up shots of
people to test the range for skin tones. This often will tweak results
better than a traditional calibration method once you are within
normal bounds so don't skip doing a traditional calibration with test
patterns first.

A slightly more expense but increasingly popular method involves
using a "stick on" calibration device such as Pantone's Huey

http://georgecoghill.com/blog/2006/0...ibration-tool/

or a Spyder

http://www.calibration-direct.com/pr...FR1jgAodsQQ9hg

The cheaper models works nearly as good as the more expensive models
which the primary difference between them being the including
software.

Melee

Re: Viewing images on dual monitors
Adam, I don't know if the problem is the monitors.

Its ONLY this program. It displays the pictures properly in paint and
photoshop.

Also, if it was a monitor problem, then why are the colors displaying
incorrectly in a print screenshot?
Dave

Re: Viewing images on dual monitors
Some people have complained about Windows Photo Gallery showing photos with
incorrect colors.
And some have corrected this by deleting the color profile.
Start - Control Panel - Personalization - Display Settings - Advanced
settings - Color management -
Color management - Color Management
and remove the profile associated with your monitor(s)

I don't have a profile associated to mine, nor have I had the problem in
WPG.