Media player not playing online video

Frustrated Egan

Media player not playing online video
Just got vista and a new computer with DVD burners. When I load the software
for my burner (Nero 7) Media player will no longer play streamed video
trailers from the internet. I have to right click then "save target as..." in
order to play the "ASPX file" If i click on the play trailer link with the
left click, I get an Internet explorer page saying that "Internet Explorer
cannot display the web page"

Uninstalling the nero program is not enough to fix the problem. I have to do
a system restore to just previous of installing the program, to correct this
problem.

I have tried to re-install the nero program and then update the latest
version of nero, and the problem still persists.

Any suggestions?

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Media player not playing online video

If you reset associations to WMP using the Set Program Access and Defaults
tool, does that fix this up.... ?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Frustrated Egan" <FrustratedEgan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news1A6CF0C-D105-44FE-95F1-6016D33CA7DC@microsoft.com...
> Just got vista and a new computer with DVD burners. When I load the
> software
> for my burner (Nero 7) Media player will no longer play streamed video
> trailers from the internet. I have to right click then "save target as..."
> in
> order to play the "ASPX file" If i click on the play trailer link with the
> left click, I get an Internet explorer page saying that "Internet Explorer
> cannot display the web page"
>
> Uninstalling the nero program is not enough to fix the problem. I have to
> do
> a system restore to just previous of installing the program, to correct
> this
> problem.
>
> I have tried to re-install the nero program and then update the latest
> version of nero, and the problem still persists.
>
> Any suggestions?

Jengel

Re: Media player not playing online video
Tried that before coming to this site...
I've actually NEVER have been able to get Vista to open video links such as
asx,mpg,wmp, etc...
I am wondering if getting an older version of media player might help. Im
quite sick of having to download a video file to view it instead of having
media player open up and play it without saving the file. If the site has
its own player plug-in then im good but if it is a link and wants media
player to open it, then media player seems to ignore the request to open it
and I get the "SAVE / CANCEL" option.
HELP!

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> If you reset associations to WMP using the Set Program Access and Defaults
> tool, does that fix this up.... ?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
>
> "Frustrated Egan" <FrustratedEgan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news1A6CF0C-D105-44FE-95F1-6016D33CA7DC@microsoft.com...
> > Just got vista and a new computer with DVD burners. When I load the
> > software
> > for my burner (Nero 7) Media player will no longer play streamed video
> > trailers from the internet. I have to right click then "save target as..."
> > in
> > order to play the "ASPX file" If i click on the play trailer link with the
> > left click, I get an Internet explorer page saying that "Internet Explorer
> > cannot display the web page"
> >
> > Uninstalling the nero program is not enough to fix the problem. I have to
> > do
> > a system restore to just previous of installing the program, to correct
> > this
> > problem.
> >
> > I have tried to re-install the nero program and then update the latest
> > version of nero, and the problem still persists.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Media player not playing online video

That sounds like the association is corrupted. What third party multimedia
players are on the system?

What's the value of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx? What are the subvalues under
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX ?

Note that at least "Media Player Classic" (not a Microsoft product) appears
to be corrupting those values and would cause this issue. I'm sure other
players could do it too. Running the Set Program Access and Defaults to set
things back to WMP should generally fix this up, but it's possible they're
doing something awfuler than what I already know.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Jengel" <Jengel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news6CF587B-C9E0-49B7-B293-F9FFF3E715CE@microsoft.com...
> Tried that before coming to this site...
> I've actually NEVER have been able to get Vista to open video links such
> as
> asx,mpg,wmp, etc...
> I am wondering if getting an older version of media player might help. Im
> quite sick of having to download a video file to view it instead of having
> media player open up and play it without saving the file. If the site has
> its own player plug-in then im good but if it is a link and wants media
> player to open it, then media player seems to ignore the request to open
> it
> and I get the "SAVE / CANCEL" option.
> HELP!
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> If you reset associations to WMP using the Set Program Access and
>> Defaults
>> tool, does that fix this up.... ?
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>>
>> "Frustrated Egan" <FrustratedEgan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news1A6CF0C-D105-44FE-95F1-6016D33CA7DC@microsoft.com...
>> > Just got vista and a new computer with DVD burners. When I load the
>> > software
>> > for my burner (Nero 7) Media player will no longer play streamed video
>> > trailers from the internet. I have to right click then "save target
>> > as..."
>> > in
>> > order to play the "ASPX file" If i click on the play trailer link with
>> > the
>> > left click, I get an Internet explorer page saying that "Internet
>> > Explorer
>> > cannot display the web page"
>> >
>> > Uninstalling the nero program is not enough to fix the problem. I have
>> > do
>> > a system restore to just previous of installing the program, to correct
>> > this
>> > problem.
>> >
>> > I have tried to re-install the nero program and then update the latest
>> > version of nero, and the problem still persists.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?

JErdt

Re: Media player not playing online video
I am experiencing the same exact problem on Vista 64-bit. I have compared
the registry keys that you mentioned to the ones on a co-worker's Vista
install that still works and the entries are exactly the same. This really
seems like an IE7 problem because asx files play fine if the URL is manually
copied into the WMP 'Open URL' dialog. They just don't get passed to WMP
when you click on links or paste them to the address bar in IE.

JErdt

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> That sounds like the association is corrupted. What third party multimedia
> players are on the system?
>
> What's the value of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx? What are the subvalues under
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX ?
>
> Note that at least "Media Player Classic" (not a Microsoft product) appears
> to be corrupting those values and would cause this issue. I'm sure other
> players could do it too. Running the Set Program Access and Defaults to set
> things back to WMP should generally fix this up, but it's possible they're
> doing something awfuler than what I already know.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> "Jengel" <Jengel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news6CF587B-C9E0-49B7-B293-F9FFF3E715CE@microsoft.com...
> > Tried that before coming to this site...
> > I've actually NEVER have been able to get Vista to open video links such
> > as
> > asx,mpg,wmp, etc...
> > I am wondering if getting an older version of media player might help. Im
> > quite sick of having to download a video file to view it instead of having
> > media player open up and play it without saving the file. If the site has
> > its own player plug-in then im good but if it is a link and wants media
> > player to open it, then media player seems to ignore the request to open
> > it
> > and I get the "SAVE / CANCEL" option.
> > HELP!
> >
> > "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
> >

> >> If you reset associations to WMP using the Set Program Access and
> >> Defaults
> >> tool, does that fix this up.... ?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Speaking for myself only.
> >> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> >> rights.
> >> --
> >>
> >> "Frustrated Egan" <FrustratedEgan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news1A6CF0C-D105-44FE-95F1-6016D33CA7DC@microsoft.com...

JErdt

Re: Media player not playing online video
I just checked and wanted to add that when you save the asx file to disk
Explorer hands it off to WMP just fine when you double click on it.

"JErdt" wrote:

> I am experiencing the same exact problem on Vista 64-bit. I have compared
> the registry keys that you mentioned to the ones on a co-worker's Vista
> install that still works and the entries are exactly the same. This really
> seems like an IE7 problem because asx files play fine if the URL is manually
> copied into the WMP 'Open URL' dialog. They just don't get passed to WMP
> when you click on links or paste them to the address bar in IE.
>
> JErdt
>

> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

> > That sounds like the association is corrupted. What third party multimedia
> > players are on the system?
> >
> > What's the value of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx? What are the subvalues under
> > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX ?
> >
> > Note that at least "Media Player Classic" (not a Microsoft product) appears
> > to be corrupting those values and would cause this issue. I'm sure other
> > players could do it too. Running the Set Program Access and Defaults to set
> > things back to WMP should generally fix this up, but it's possible they're
> > doing something awfuler than what I already know.
> >
> > --
> > Speaking for myself only.
> > See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> > --
> > "Jengel" <Jengel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news6CF587B-C9E0-49B7-B293-F9FFF3E715CE@microsoft.com...
> > > Tried that before coming to this site...
> > > I've actually NEVER have been able to get Vista to open video links such
> > > as
> > > asx,mpg,wmp, etc...
> > > I am wondering if getting an older version of media player might help. Im
> > > quite sick of having to download a video file to view it instead of having
> > > media player open up and play it without saving the file. If the site has
> > > its own player plug-in then im good but if it is a link and wants media
> > > player to open it, then media player seems to ignore the request to open
> > > it
> > > and I get the "SAVE / CANCEL" option.
> > > HELP!

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Media player not playing online video

*What* are those values? They could be corrupt on both machines. There's a
chain of associations, and those two pieces are beginning elements in the
chain. There's also the entries under
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\database\content types\video/x-ms-asf as well as a
CLSID entry. If you manually register wmp.dll (please don't do that), you
will break the CLSID registration and cause this, for example.

Anyways, specifics (plus the MIME values) would be really helpful.

A sample URL would be hot, too.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"JErdt" <JErdt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am experiencing the same exact problem on Vista 64-bit. I have compared
> the registry keys that you mentioned to the ones on a co-worker's Vista
> install that still works and the entries are exactly the same. This
> really
> seems like an IE7 problem because asx files play fine if the URL is
> manually
> copied into the WMP 'Open URL' dialog. They just don't get passed to WMP
> when you click on links or paste them to the address bar in IE.
>
> JErdt
>

> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> That sounds like the association is corrupted. What third party
>> multimedia
>> players are on the system?
>>
>> What's the value of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx? What are the subvalues under
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX ?
>>
>> Note that at least "Media Player Classic" (not a Microsoft product)
>> appears
>> to be corrupting those values and would cause this issue. I'm sure other
>> players could do it too. Running the Set Program Access and Defaults to
>> set
>> things back to WMP should generally fix this up, but it's possible
>> they're
>> doing something awfuler than what I already know.
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>> "Jengel" <Jengel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news6CF587B-C9E0-49B7-B293-F9FFF3E715CE@microsoft.com...
>> > Tried that before coming to this site...
>> > I've actually NEVER have been able to get Vista to open video links
>> > such
>> > as
>> > asx,mpg,wmp, etc...
>> > I am wondering if getting an older version of media player might help.
>> > Im
>> > quite sick of having to download a video file to view it instead of
>> > having
>> > media player open up and play it without saving the file. If the site
>> > has
>> > its own player plug-in then im good but if it is a link and wants media
>> > player to open it, then media player seems to ignore the request to
>> > open
>> > it
>> > and I get the "SAVE / CANCEL" option.
>> > HELP!

JErdt

Re: Media player not playing online video
1)

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx]
"PerceivedType"="video"
@="WMP11.AssocFile.ASX"
"Content Type"="video/x-ms-asf"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx\OpenWithProgIds]
"ASXFile"=hex(0):
"WMP11.AssocFile.ASX"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx\PersistentHandler]
@="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

2)

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX]
@="Windows Media Audio/Video playlist"
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,01,00
"FriendlyTypeName"="@%SystemRoot%\system32\unregmp 2.exe,-9910"
"PreferExecuteOnMismatch"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Windows\\system32\\wmploc.dll,-730"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX\shell]
@="play"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX\shell\open]
"LegacyDisable"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX\shell\open\c ommand]
@=""%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /Open "%L""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX\shell\open\D ropTarget]
"CLSID"="{CE3FB1D1-02AE-4a5f-A6E9-D9F1B4073E6C}"
"MPlayer2.Bak"="{CE3FB1D1-02AE-4A5F-A6E9- D9F1B4073E6C}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX\shell\play]
@="&Play"
"MUIVerb"="@%SystemRoot%\system32\unregmp2.exe ,-9991"
"LegacyDisable"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX\shell\play\c ommand]
@=""%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /Play "%L""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX\shell\play\D ropTarget]
"CLSID"="{CE3FB1D1-02AE-4a5f-A6E9-D9F1B4073E6C}"
"MPlayer2.Bak"="{CE3FB1D1-02AE-4A5F-A6E9- D9F1B4073E6C}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX\shellex\Cont extMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX\shellex\Cont extMenuHandlers\WMPAddToPlaylist]
@="{F1B9284F-E9DC-4e68-9D7E-42362A59F0FD}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX\shellex\Cont extMenuHandlers\WMPPlayAsPlaylist]
@="{CE3FB1D1-02AE-4a5f-A6E9-D9F1B4073E6C}"

3)

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\video/x-ms-asf]
"AutoplayContentTypeHandler"="VideoFilesContentHan dler"
"CLSID"="{cd3afa8f-b84f-48f0-9393-7edc34128127}"
"Extension"=".asx"

Rest assured that I didn't manually register wmp.dll. In the
WMP11.AssocFile.ASX key several string values dumped as hex. I copied and
pasted the ascii manually.

JErdt

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> *What* are those values? They could be corrupt on both machines. There's a
> chain of associations, and those two pieces are beginning elements in the
> chain. There's also the entries under
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\database\content types\video/x-ms-asf as well as a
> CLSID entry. If you manually register wmp.dll (please don't do that), you
> will break the CLSID registration and cause this, for example.
>
> Anyways, specifics (plus the MIME values) would be really helpful.
>
> A sample URL would be hot, too.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> "JErdt" <JErdt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am experiencing the same exact problem on Vista 64-bit. I have compared
> > the registry keys that you mentioned to the ones on a co-worker's Vista
> > install that still works and the entries are exactly the same. This
> > really
> > seems like an IE7 problem because asx files play fine if the URL is
> > manually
> > copied into the WMP 'Open URL' dialog. They just don't get passed to WMP
> > when you click on links or paste them to the address bar in IE.
> >
> > JErdt
> >

> > "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
> >

> >> That sounds like the association is corrupted. What third party
> >> multimedia
> >> players are on the system?
> >>
> >> What's the value of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asx? What are the subvalues under
> >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.ASX ?
> >>
> >> Note that at least "Media Player Classic" (not a Microsoft product)
> >> appears
> >> to be corrupting those values and would cause this issue. I'm sure other
> >> players could do it too. Running the Set Program Access and Defaults to
> >> set
> >> things back to WMP should generally fix this up, but it's possible
> >> they're
> >> doing something awfuler than what I already know.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Speaking for myself only.
> >> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> >> rights.
> >> --
> >> "Jengel" <Jengel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news6CF587B-C9E0-49B7-B293-F9FFF3E715CE@microsoft.com...

JErdt

Re: Media player not playing online video
Sorry. Forgot the CLSID..

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA8F-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}]
@="VIDEO__X_MS_ASF Moniker Class"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA8F-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\DocObject]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA8F-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\InprocServer32]
@="%SystemRoot%\system32\wmp.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA8F-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID]
@="WMP11.AssocFile.ASX"

JErdt