Windows Vista Sound Recorder

Army1Ret

Windows Vista Sound Recorder
My old Windows XP machine allowed me to record sound on my PC. I could record
streaming sound or sound from an external source. It was easy, uncomplicated
and visual.

I've tried to do the same with Vista but cannot. I can hear streaming
sounds, audio CDs and play games while hearing sound. However, when I record
sounds (music, audio content, etc) it looks like Vista does not hear it
internally.

Is there a button, switch or file I need to change? I've tried DLing a new
CODEC from Real Tech to no avail. I know it is something internal to the
machine but can't put my finger on it.

Thanks
Cal Bear '66

Re: Windows Vista Sound Recorder
Right click Speaker icon in the Notification Area of the Taskbar, select
Recording devices, select Stereo Mix (Realtek) as your Default. If you do not
see, right click in the window and select both "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show
Disconnected Devices".

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Army1Ret" <Army1Ret@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My old Windows XP machine allowed me to record sound on my PC. I could record
> streaming sound or sound from an external source. It was easy, uncomplicated
> and visual.
>
> I've tried to do the same with Vista but cannot. I can hear streaming
> sounds, audio CDs and play games while hearing sound. However, when I record
> sounds (music, audio content, etc) it looks like Vista does not hear it
> internally.
>
> Is there a button, switch or file I need to change? I've tried DLing a new
> CODEC from Real Tech to no avail. I know it is something internal to the
> machine but can't put my finger on it.
>
> Thanks

Army1Ret

Re: Windows Vista Sound Recorder
It was a good try, but still, nothing. Vista doesn't even "see" the new
Realtek codec. I've tried everything.

My next move is to purchase a new sound card (new machine, needs a new vid
card, now a new sound card-what else is new? Esp if you purchase from Best
Buy). Making Macintosh look sweeter by the dollar.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Right click Speaker icon in the Notification Area of the Taskbar, select
> Recording devices, select Stereo Mix (Realtek) as your Default. If you do not
> see, right click in the window and select both "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show
> Disconnected Devices".
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Army1Ret" <Army1Ret@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My old Windows XP machine allowed me to record sound on my PC. I could record
> > streaming sound or sound from an external source. It was easy, uncomplicated
> > and visual.
> >
> > I've tried to do the same with Vista but cannot. I can hear streaming
> > sounds, audio CDs and play games while hearing sound. However, when I record
> > sounds (music, audio content, etc) it looks like Vista does not hear it
> > internally.
> >
> > Is there a button, switch or file I need to change? I've tried DLing a new
> > CODEC from Real Tech to no avail. I know it is something internal to the
> > machine but can't put my finger on it.
> >
> > Thanks

Adam Albright

Re: Windows Vista Sound Recorder
On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 19:40:01 -0700, Army1Ret
<Army1Ret@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>It was a good try, but still, nothing. Vista doesn't even "see" the new
>Realtek codec. I've tried everything.
>
>My next move is to purchase a new sound card (new machine, needs a new vid
>card, now a new sound card-what else is new? Esp if you purchase from Best
>Buy). Making Macintosh look sweeter by the dollar.

Did you try going to Device Manger and uninstalling what ever sound
driver is showing under your setup, then reboot then seeing if Vista
finally "sees" the new hardware by saying "found new hardware".
Usually works about 90% of the time.