Windows Media Player won't play some recorded .asf files

Alex

Windows Media Player won't play some recorded .asf files
There is no apparent reason why one file will play back and the next moment
iqual file from same source won't. Have got error message about file type or
codec. Obviously not applicable since it supports .asf and the same codecs
have played in other files. Also got to Error C00D1199 but can't find nothing
in its breakdown that seems to apply. The files were recorded from streaming.
My OS is Vista Premium and for all it is worth the card is NVidia.
The one item I can't understand is the suggestion that I may be trying to
play a multipart file and should combine them into one using a newsreader????
Can anybody help?
Adam Albright

Re: Windows Media Player won't play some recorded .asf files
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:42:01 -0700, Alex
<Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>There is no apparent reason why one file will play back and the next moment
>iqual file from same source won't. Have got error message about file type or
>codec. Obviously not applicable since it supports .asf and the same codecs
>have played in other files. Also got to Error C00D1199 but can't find nothing
>in its breakdown that seems to apply. The files were recorded from streaming.
>My OS is Vista Premium and for all it is worth the card is NVidia.
>The one item I can't understand is the suggestion that I may be trying to
>play a multipart file and should combine them into one using a newsreader????
>Can anybody help?

You actually gave a lot of conflicting information. A multi-part video
only makes sense if your downloaded from some newsgroup. Did you? If
so, have you reassembled the parts to make a whole file?

Just because you were successful in playing one .asf file or for that
matter any type doesn't not automatically guarantee you'll be able to
play another of a similar type.

The first thing I do if Media Player stumbles is try to play it with
another player. The sad fact is Microsoft's player is far from being
the best. In fact is it has all kinds of issues.

EVERYBODY that plays more than a casual video now and then, especially
if you're downloading them from the web or from some newsgroup needs
multiple players. At minimum I suggest you pick up GOM Player and
XnView, both are excellent, both work well under Vista and both are
free.

If you still can't play the file, then suspect corruption, also very
common if you're downloading from the Internet. It only takes a couple
of missing or messed up bits to prevent some files from playing
especially if you use dumb Media Player that's not very smart in
recovering.

Alex

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:42:01 -0700, Alex
> <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >There is no apparent reason why one file will play back and the next moment
> >iqual file from same source won't. Have got error message about file type or
> >codec. Obviously not applicable since it supports .asf and the same codecs
> >have played in other files. Also got to Error C00D1199 but can't find nothing
> >in its breakdown that seems to apply. The files were recorded from streaming.
> >My OS is Vista Premium and for all it is worth the card is NVidia.
> >The one item I can't understand is the suggestion that I may be trying to
> >play a multipart file and should combine them into one using a newsreader????
> >Can anybody help?

> You actually gave a lot of conflicting information. A multi-part video
> only makes sense if your downloaded from some newsgroup. Did you? If
> so, have you reassembled the parts to make a whole file?
>
> Just because you were successful in playing one .asf file or for that
> matter any type doesn't not automatically guarantee you'll be able to
> play another of a similar type.
>
> The first thing I do if Media Player stumbles is try to play it with
> another player. The sad fact is Microsoft's player is far from being
> the best. In fact is it has all kinds of issues.
>
> EVERYBODY that plays more than a casual video now and then, especially
> if you're downloading them from the web or from some newsgroup needs
> multiple players. At minimum I suggest you pick up GOM Player and
> XnView, both are excellent, both work well under Vista and both are
> free.
>
> If you still can't play the file, then suspect corruption, also very
> common if you're downloading from the Internet. It only takes a couple
> of missing or messed up bits to prevent some files from playing
> especially if you use dumb Media Player that's not very smart in
> recovering.
>
>Hi,

Thank you very much for the answer. Hope it will sort out my problems,
otherwise I will be back for more help!
Alex

"Alex" wrote:

> "Adam Albright" wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:42:01 -0700, Alex
> > <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >There is no apparent reason why one file will play back and the next moment
> > >iqual file from same source won't. Have got error message about file type or
> > >codec. Obviously not applicable since it supports .asf and the same codecs
> > >have played in other files. Also got to Error C00D1199 but can't find nothing
> > >in its breakdown that seems to apply. The files were recorded from streaming.
> > >My OS is Vista Premium and for all it is worth the card is NVidia.
> > >The one item I can't understand is the suggestion that I may be trying to
> > >play a multipart file and should combine them into one using a newsreader????
> > >Can anybody help?

> > You actually gave a lot of conflicting information. A multi-part video
> > only makes sense if your downloaded from some newsgroup. Did you? If
> > so, have you reassembled the parts to make a whole file?
> >
> > Just because you were successful in playing one .asf file or for that
> > matter any type doesn't not automatically guarantee you'll be able to
> > play another of a similar type.
> >
> > The first thing I do if Media Player stumbles is try to play it with
> > another player. The sad fact is Microsoft's player is far from being
> > the best. In fact is it has all kinds of issues.
> >
> > EVERYBODY that plays more than a casual video now and then, especially
> > if you're downloading them from the web or from some newsgroup needs
> > multiple players. At minimum I suggest you pick up GOM Player and
> > XnView, both are excellent, both work well under Vista and both are
> > free.
> >
> > If you still can't play the file, then suspect corruption, also very
> > common if you're downloading from the Internet. It only takes a couple
> > of missing or messed up bits to prevent some files from playing
> > especially if you use dumb Media Player that's not very smart in
> > recovering.
> >
> >Hi,

> Thank you very much for the answer. Hope it will sort out my problems,
> otherwise I will be back for more help!

Came back to thank you once more. The GOM Player worked just fine!
By the way, the bit about multipart files and "newsreader" were one and the
last of the "suggestions" of the error code C00D1199 and I couldn't
understand it at all.
Adam Albright

Re: Windows Media Player won't play some recorded .asf files
On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 12:52:04 -0700, Alex
<Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Alex" wrote:
>

>> "Adam Albright" wrote:

>> > You actually gave a lot of conflicting information. A multi-part video
>> > only makes sense if your downloaded from some newsgroup. Did you? If
>> > so, have you reassembled the parts to make a whole file?
>> >
>> > Just because you were successful in playing one .asf file or for that
>> > matter any type doesn't not automatically guarantee you'll be able to
>> > play another of a similar type.
>> >
>> > The first thing I do if Media Player stumbles is try to play it with
>> > another player. The sad fact is Microsoft's player is far from being
>> > the best. In fact is it has all kinds of issues.
>> >
>> > EVERYBODY that plays more than a casual video now and then, especially
>> > if you're downloading them from the web or from some newsgroup needs
>> > multiple players. At minimum I suggest you pick up GOM Player and
>> > XnView, both are excellent, both work well under Vista and both are
>> > free.
>> >
>> > If you still can't play the file, then suspect corruption, also very
>> > common if you're downloading from the Internet. It only takes a couple
>> > of missing or messed up bits to prevent some files from playing
>> > especially if you use dumb Media Player that's not very smart in
>> > recovering.
>> >
>> >Hi,

>> Thank you very much for the answer. Hope it will sort out my problems,
>> otherwise I will be back for more help!

>Came back to thank you once more. The GOM Player worked just fine!
>By the way, the bit about multipart files and "newsreader" were one and the
>last of the "suggestions" of the error code C00D1199 and I couldn't
>understand it at all.

Just some more general information...

Because of their size most movies that get posted to newsgroups are
posted in chunks, sometimes over a span of days. In order to play such
movies you have to reassemble them. Some news readers will do that
automatically, assuming ALL parts are on your news server, others you
have to join with some utility. Look for joiner or splitter on Google.
Such movies generally use uuencoding or the newer yEnc encoding method
which takes up less space so it takes less time to post such movie
parts and less time to download them. Again some news readers have the
ability to decode such files automatically others don't.

Because not all parts make it to all news servers many posters of
larger movies now use PAR files. The idea being if you're trying to
download a 200 part movie and are missing a few parts you use to have
to beg the poster or somebody else to again post the missing parts.

With a par file (which the original poster provides and also posts to
newsgroup) you can assemble an entire movie even if some parts are
missing with the par file providing the necessary magic that makes
this possible. To make that work, you also need another utility that
can read PAR files. A good one is called QuickPar. You simply put the
par file in the same folder as your movie parts then click on any par
file and it will scan the contents of the folder you're trying to
assemble the movie in and if it has enough par files and movie parts,
it can rebuild the missing movie parts and then assemble a fully
intact version.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Media Player won't play some recorded .asf files

The Web Help button on WMP's Error dialog may have been illuminative... the
URL it takes you to will contain two HRESULT codes which can be useful.

Since you're saying this is "ASF", and most tools haven't generally produced
"ASF" (a superset of WMV) for years, I'm strongly suspicious of where this
file came from. If you ever have a sample file you can put up somewhere,
I'll run it through something along the lines of ASFView at the least. =\
[For most purposes, WMV covers all of what you'd actually want.]

--
Speaking for myself only.