All of my pictures have disappeared in Vista Media Center

BillMonty

All of my pictures have disappeared in Vista Media Center
I just built a new computer and put a fresh install of Vista Home Premium on
it 2 days ago. My last PC had Media Center 2005 on it. I use Media Center
extensively to stream movies, recorded TV, music and pictures to my Xbox 360
in my home theater room.

All of my pictures transferred fine. I put them all in the Public Pictures
folder and enabled it to share with everyone.

Today, I went to access my pictures through the media center on my xbox 360
and all of my pictures are gone. I can see all the folders, but they all
show 0 objects inside the folders. I also tried this through the media
center on my PC and again it shows the folders, but it shows them as empty.
When I access the Public Pictures folder, all of my pictures are there, the
problem is, they just won't show up in media center. I've got about 3000
pictures and I would guess that just about everyone of them is in .jpeg
format, so Vista should recognize them.
BillMonty

RE: All of my pictures have disappeared in Vista Media Center
I just wanted to update this post since someone else may run into the problem
in the future and they can find this help in the search function of these
communities.

It seems after almost a solid week of looking, tonight I just happened to
get the right combination of keywords in Google search to come up with the
solution.

It turns out the culprit of the problem was my Nero program. I installed it
on the 2nd day after building my PC, but then uninstalled it a day later when
I decided to use a different program. When uninstalling Nero, it seems that
it takes away certain registry keys that Media Center needs in order to
recognize certain video and picture file types. .jpeg and .jpg were 2 of the
picture file types I needed and Nero promptly took them away.

The fix will involve editing your registry or re-installing Vista. Proceed
with caution if you edit your registry. If you want more information on the
problem and the registry keys you will need to put back in your registry,
check the following links.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/FixWin...ictures .aspx

http://msmvps.com/blogs/wifizone/arc...istry-fix.aspx