slow/stalled video stream

ginamarie

slow/stalled video stream
I have a new computer with Windows Vista. I can watch videos that are
downloaded or on a DVD with no problem. But whenever I try to watch a
streamed video, like on YouTube or Myspace, it freezes and stalls. It takes
forever to watch a couple of minutes of video. Is there anything I can do to
fix this? My computer at work is a lot older and I have no problem with that
one. I'd think my new computer would be better. Any advice would be
appreciated.
Adam Albright

Re: slow/stalled video stream
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:02:03 -0700, ginamarie
<ginamarie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a new computer with Windows Vista. I can watch videos that are
>downloaded or on a DVD with no problem. But whenever I try to watch a
>streamed video, like on YouTube or Myspace, it freezes and stalls. It takes
>forever to watch a couple of minutes of video. Is there anything I can do to
>fix this? My computer at work is a lot older and I have no problem with that
>one. I'd think my new computer would be better. Any advice would be
>appreciated.

How fast is your Internet connection?

babaloo

Re: slow/stalled video stream
Unfortunately, for reasons even Microsoft cannot explain, many Vista users
experience problems with streaming internet audio/video with frequent and
long hiccoughs for rebuffering.
The problem is not related to the software player, whether Windows Media
Player, Real, Itunes etc.
If you have an XP machine and can use the same internet connect and are able
to connect adequately to streaming media the only solution I know of is to
ditch Vista or dual boot into XP.
You would not be the first to do so.

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:54:13 GMT, "babaloo" <fac187@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Unfortunately, for reasons even Microsoft cannot explain, many Vista users
>experience problems with streaming internet audio/video with frequent and
>long hiccoughs for rebuffering.
>The problem is not related to the software player, whether Windows Media
>Player, Real, Itunes etc.
>If you have an XP machine and can use the same internet connect and are able
>to connect adequately to streaming media the only solution I know of is to
>ditch Vista or dual boot into XP.
>You would not be the first to do so.

Interesting. Anybody that's ready some of my posts knows I've been
very critical of Media Player. Still I can't duplicate this issue.

Case in point would be a streaming video showing the two software
engineers at Microsoft discussing in a web broadcast video that runs
well over a hour playing perfectly with no pauses, stalls or delays of
any kind.

Maybe it is your ISP or there is something in the path between the
site you're trying to stream and your ISP?

ginamarie

Re: slow/stalled video stream
My ISP is Qwest DSL with MSN. I hardly ever go on the internet using MSN, I
usually just use IE. I'm not sure how fast my connection is, but it's just
the basic Qwest DSL (I didn't upgrade, so it's probably the lowest one they
offer). I hadn't thought of the speed. I assumed that since we got DSL
instead of dial-up and a new computer, it should make everything fast, but
I'm finding out that's not true. Thanks!