Music Folder

Websken

Music Folder
Please can anyone tell me why I have number appearing before the record
title, i.e. in the 'Name' column the records appear as '01 All Night Long',
01 Blue Monday, 01 Feeling Good' etc. There are 37 records beginning this
way, before it goes on to 02 and so on.

The change seemed to take place after I had been looking in Windows Media
Player and selected 'Tools > Apply Media Information Changes'. As I wasn't
sure what I was doing, I cancelled the job and closed Windows Media Player.
However, when I went back to the 'Music' Folder, I found that all these
numbers had appeared before the name of the disc.

Does anybody know why this happened and how I can rectify this without
having to go down the list manually deleting all these numbers.

Regards

--
Websken
Adam Albright

Re: Music Folder
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:04:00 -0700, Websken
<Websken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Please can anyone tell me why I have number appearing before the record
>title, i.e. in the 'Name' column the records appear as '01 All Night Long',
>01 Blue Monday, 01 Feeling Good' etc. There are 37 records beginning this
>way, before it goes on to 02 and so on.
>
>The change seemed to take place after I had been looking in Windows Media
>Player and selected 'Tools > Apply Media Information Changes'. As I wasn't
>sure what I was doing, I cancelled the job and closed Windows Media Player.
>However, when I went back to the 'Music' Folder, I found that all these
>numbers had appeared before the name of the disc.
>
>Does anybody know why this happened and how I can rectify this without
>having to go down the list manually deleting all these numbers.
>
>Regards

I had a similar problem when I converted my music collection from
their original DVDs to Mp3. It was the track number that got added.
So, if I did 10 DVD's, I had ten songs with a (1) in front of the
title, (2), and so on. HIGHLY annoying, not asked for, just something
Vista did on it's own apparently. :-(

Websken

Re: Music Folder
Thanks Adam, So does that mean that there isn't a solution to the problem?
What I can't understand is why it has only gone through half the list (the
numbering stops at 22) but left the rest of the list -about another 400
titles - in alphabetical order, which is how I want it sorted.
--
Websken

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:04:00 -0700, Websken
> <Websken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Please can anyone tell me why I have number appearing before the record
> >title, i.e. in the 'Name' column the records appear as '01 All Night Long',
> >01 Blue Monday, 01 Feeling Good' etc. There are 37 records beginning this
> >way, before it goes on to 02 and so on.
> >
> >The change seemed to take place after I had been looking in Windows Media
> >Player and selected 'Tools > Apply Media Information Changes'. As I wasn't
> >sure what I was doing, I cancelled the job and closed Windows Media Player.
> >However, when I went back to the 'Music' Folder, I found that all these
> >numbers had appeared before the name of the disc.
> >
> >Does anybody know why this happened and how I can rectify this without
> >having to go down the list manually deleting all these numbers.
> >
> >Regards

> I had a similar problem when I converted my music collection from
> their original DVDs to Mp3. It was the track number that got added.
> So, if I did 10 DVD's, I had ten songs with a (1) in front of the
> title, (2), and so on. HIGHLY annoying, not asked for, just something
> Vista did on it's own apparently. :-(

Adam Albright

Re: Music Folder
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:34:01 -0700, Websken
<Websken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks Adam, So does that mean that there isn't a solution to the problem?
>What I can't understand is why it has only gone through half the list (the
>numbering stops at 22) but left the rest of the list -about another 400
>titles - in alphabetical order, which is how I want it sorted.

Sort of... What's happening is Vista is reading the metadata in the
file, some have track numbers, others don't.

I should first explain I didn't use Media Player when I started to rip
my music collection, rather I used Roxio's Easy Media Creator 9... but
ran into the same problem you did. I just bit the bullet and renamed
the files manually.

However, I discovered this. If you're ripping a CD and you want to use
Media Player directly you can override options by bringing up Media
Player, then click on the Rip tab, then More Options then click on the
File Name button. From here you can decide which options you want
included including a option to NOT include track number. Wish I would
have found it too.

Somebody wrote a broke that gets pretty deep into Media Player. A good
chunk of is on a web site linked below. More on this topic is included
several pages in plus a bunch of other interesting stuff some may fine
useful.

http://www.samspublishing.com/articl...89107&seqNum=2

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Music Folder

That sounds like you want to go to WMP's Tools:Options:Library and uncheck
"Rename music files using rip music settings".

You can pretty quickly undo this using third party metadata editors - I
believe MusicBrainz and other tagging utilities offer that sort of "rename
according to my 'new' naming scheme" functionality. (I haven't used those,
so don't know for certain, I've just heard people talk about it.)

--
Speaking for myself only.