media player, divx, not running smooth

Pete

media player, divx, not running smooth
Hi,

when I play DivX movies on Mediaplayer (Vista Ultimate), the picture starts
to freeze about once every minute, sometimes more, sometimes less.
I ran the Resource Montior in parallel and I can see that at precisely these
moments the HDD activity peaks to 100%. I didn't have any such problems on
XP.I couldn't quite figure out which application or service makes the disk
activity peak.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
P!
Max

RE: media player, divx, not running smooth
I have the same problem. It is very strange because I don't see anything
causing the spike. It seems to happen about once every minute or so. It
happens more for me if I am actually navigating around while the music is
playing. This also seems to effect non WM players running on vista too.

If anyone has any help I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Max

"Pete" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when I play DivX movies on Mediaplayer (Vista Ultimate), the picture starts
> to freeze about once every minute, sometimes more, sometimes less.
> I ran the Resource Montior in parallel and I can see that at precisely these
> moments the HDD activity peaks to 100%. I didn't have any such problems on
> XP.I couldn't quite figure out which application or service makes the disk
> activity peak.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers,
> P!

Adam Albright

Re: media player, divx, not running smooth
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 14:48:00 -0700, Max
<Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have the same problem. It is very strange because I don't see anything
>causing the spike. It seems to happen about once every minute or so. It
>happens more for me if I am actually navigating around while the music is
>playing. This also seems to effect non WM players running on vista too.
>
>If anyone has any help I would appreciate it.

Vista is a nervous nanny that is constantly messing around behind the
scenes. To see it in action, bring up Task Manager, then Performance
Tab, then Resource Monitor, then expand the Disk, CPU and Memory
modules so you can see what Vista is messing with.

>Thanks,
>Max
>
>"Pete" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> when I play DivX movies on Mediaplayer (Vista Ultimate), the picture starts
>> to freeze about once every minute, sometimes more, sometimes less.
>> I ran the Resource Montior in parallel and I can see that at precisely these
>> moments the HDD activity peaks to 100%. I didn't have any such problems on
>> XP.I couldn't quite figure out which application or service makes the disk
>> activity peak.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> P!

Pete

Re: media player, divx, not running smooth
I think it's svchost.exe that creates the spike in activity.

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> Vista is a nervous nanny that is constantly messing around behind the
> scenes. To see it in action, bring up Task Manager, then Performance
> Tab, then Resource Monitor, then expand the Disk, CPU and Memory
> modules so you can see what Vista is messing with.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Max
> >
> >"Pete" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> when I play DivX movies on Mediaplayer (Vista Ultimate), the picture starts
> >> to freeze about once every minute, sometimes more, sometimes less.
> >> I ran the Resource Montior in parallel and I can see that at precisely these
> >> moments the HDD activity peaks to 100%. I didn't have any such problems on
> >> XP.I couldn't quite figure out which application or service makes the disk
> >> activity peak.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> P!

Adam Albright

Re: media player, divx, not running smooth
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:10:01 -0700, Pete
<Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I think it's svchost.exe that creates the spike in activity.

Well sort of... svchost.exe is a Windows system process that handles
processes executed from a DLL, it doesn't do anything itself. A great
way to learn how Windows works behind the scenes is just reboot and
don't start any applications up. Instead just go to Task Manager and
do what I said below. Watch for at least five to ten minutes being
sure to view at full screen so you can see the file names getting
loaded within Resource Monitor and you'll be rather surprised all the
stuff Vista in dragging into memory and shuffling around on your hard
drives.

>"Adam Albright" wrote:
>

>> Vista is a nervous nanny that is constantly messing around behind the
>> scenes. To see it in action, bring up Task Manager, then Performance
>> Tab, then Resource Monitor, then expand the Disk, CPU and Memory
>> modules so you can see what Vista is messing with.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Max

Max

Re: media player, divx, not running smooth
Hi All,

Ok I have managed to fix the problem. I noticed that when I disconnect my
wireless connection while playing media it runs smoothly (I am running
wireless N). So I found some optional updates for windows that I installed
and this fixed the problem. There were two in particular, 1 for an update to
media center and 1 was an update to Wireless N drivers so I am honestly not
sure which one fixed the problem. I guess if others who read this are not
running a wireless N network it was probably the update for media center that
fixed it.

Go to microsoft.com and search for updates. Windows will perform an update
check. In my case I was up to date and on that screen there is a small button
that reads something like "install/view optional updates.

I hope this helps others.

Thanks,
Max

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:10:01 -0700, Pete
> <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I think it's svchost.exe that creates the spike in activity.

> Well sort of... svchost.exe is a Windows system process that handles
> processes executed from a DLL, it doesn't do anything itself. A great
> way to learn how Windows works behind the scenes is just reboot and
> don't start any applications up. Instead just go to Task Manager and
> do what I said below. Watch for at least five to ten minutes being
> sure to view at full screen so you can see the file names getting
> loaded within Resource Monitor and you'll be rather surprised all the
> stuff Vista in dragging into memory and shuffling around on your hard
> drives.
> >
> >"Adam Albright" wrote:
> >

> >> Vista is a nervous nanny that is constantly messing around behind the
> >> scenes. To see it in action, bring up Task Manager, then Performance
> >> Tab, then Resource Monitor, then expand the Disk, CPU and Memory
> >> modules so you can see what Vista is messing with.

Max

Re: media player, divx, not running smooth
Sorry just to be clear on my previous post.....the easiest way to get there
is by going to control panel->windows update then clicl on the view
available updates and you should see it.

Thanks,
Max