Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

AVI audio on WinXP, no audio on WinVista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2007
Genuine User
 

Posts: n/a
AVI audio on WinXP, no audio on WinVista
I hear no audio from the AVI file from a digital camera on Win Vista Business
64 bit while the same file plays fine on Win XP Sp2 32 bit.

I have investigated this:

The camera is a Konica Minolta DiMage E500 Digital Camera and it produces
AVI video files and it has a built in microphone. On Win XP SP2 32 bit I am
able to hear the audio from the AVI in windows media player 11. I can hear
other audio in the computer as well. Audio from other camera brands can be
heard too.

On Windows Vista Business 64 bit I can also hear audio from other sources. I
can hear audio from other digital cameras but not the audio from Konica
Minolta DiMage E500 AVI files. Both on Win XP and Win Vista when I play the
file and take properties the info displays dash '-' for audio and video
codec. In Windows Explorer taking file properties the Audio codec displayed
is "CCIT u-LAW" on Win XP but Win Vista will not reveal the codec.

With help of the AVIcodec tool version 1.2 (http://avicodec.duby.info/) I
have found that the AVI from the Konica contains sound of the CCITT u-Law
codec consistent with the file properties of Wndows Explorer under Win XP 32
bit.

Both my Win XP SP2 32bit and Win Vista Business 64bit has the same version
of this codec version "4.0 .0" according to the AVIcodec tool.

However other AVI related components are of different versions:

Win XP SP2 32bit:
AVI Decompressor: 6.05.2600.2749
AVI Draw: 6.05.2600.2749
AVI Mux: 6.05.2600.2180
AVI Splitter: 6.05.2600.2749
AVI/WAV File Source: 6.05.2600.2749

Win Vista Business 64bit
AVI Decompressor: 6.06.6000.16386
AVI Draw: 6.06.6000.16386
AVI Mux: 6.06.6000.16386
AVI Splitter: 6.06.6000.16386
AVI/WAV File Source: 6.06.6000.16386

Alternative 1.
So either my Konica Minolta AVI is not complient to the CCIT codec but since
it works on Win XP I don't beleive so.

Alternative 2.
There is a problem in the Windows Vista AVI splitters etc.

Is there anything I could do?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2007
Genuine User
 

Posts: n/a
RE: AVI audio on WinXP, no audio on WinVista
I found a post to another group probably giving the solution to my problem. I
sincerely thank this Adam Albright for writing such an excellent story.

Here is what he wrote:

---------------------


Subject: Re: playing avi files in media player 3/29/2007 5:07 PM PST

By: Adam Albright In: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general


On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:57:28 -0500, "LaRoux" <hlx@newsgroup.nospam>
wrote:

>If it's divX codec for WMP you want, go to www.divx.com and download the
>divX for windows package. Several components aren't Vista compatible yet but
>the codec is.


The point is Media Player won't accept or stumbles on some codecs even if
they're installed on your system. I can download some files, ask Media Player
to play them and this is what happens:

Example file claims it is AVI

1. Media Player starts up, shows "acquiring codec" in lower left.
2. About 20 seconds later it says "codec acquired".
3. It starts to play the video portion only, not the audio.

Now here's the fun part. What did Media Player just say? It acquired the
codec. So you would think if I click on the file a second time it would just
start to play right? No, it again says acquiring codec, another 20 seconds
goes by, then again it plays just the video portion. If I repeat this
exercise in stupidty ten times then Meida Player will say "acquiring codec"
10 times each time again going out on the web looking for another copy of the
same codec it already obviously has and again saying it is "installing" it,
but never is it able to play the audio portion.

Now the funniest part of all is I can open this video file in any one of my
other players and it plays fine, BOTH the audio and video tracks, and no
player except for brain dead Media Player needs to acquire any new codec off
the web.

Lets have even more fun. I open the example file in GSpot. (version
2.70a)Surprise it isn't a AVI like the file pretends, it is a divX file.
Since AVI is a wrapper, Media Player should be smart enough to read the file
header like all my other players do before trying to play or jumping to
conclusions it is a avi file. But alas, we're talking Microsoft software,
which we all know isn't too smart.

Lets look deeper. According to Gspot my system has no less then 6 codecs
that can play the video stream in this file. Since Media Player did play the
video portion it obviously used one of these, but apparently can't remember
since it keeps going out to the web to get a fresh copy every time I ask
Media Player to play it.

The real problem with this file is Media Player won't play the audio track.
Let's see if we can figure that out. Well guess what, according to GSpot it
says among other codecs Windows Media audio codec and other compatable
Microsoft audio codecs are already installed. This obviously must be so since
all my other players can play this file fine accessing these codecs. Why
can't Media Player?

Deeper into the rabbit hole:

Gspot has a tool that tests the playing of many kinds of video/audio files.
It will look at your system and see which files should play the file. Seems
simple enough. Gspot says file should play using codecs already there. What's
that? Well, still deeper, if we click on that we learn the file that drives
audio is called msaud32.acm and quartz.dll. Both of these should be in the
Windows system 32 folder. Lets check. Both are. There are several other
files, installed as other codecs, to avoid getting even more muddy, lets skip
those.

Remember GSpot can "render" a audio/video file. Not is the usual sense as it
normally pertains to video editing, but a simpler meaning it that it can hook
to Direct Show routines and attempt to play as if it was a player. Ok, lets
try that. Now we're getting somewhere. GSport reports "partial render
failure, video could be rendered, but audio could not. Hmm we already knew
that, can Gspot tell us more?

You bet. At this screen it just states a memory address with "unknown"
behind it which just means something is preventing Media Player from playing
the audio track.

I don't give up easy, have you noticed?

Gspot has another function called VGS that stands for Visual GOP Structure.
First you need to learn what a GOP is. Still deeper into the rabbit hole.

GOP is a video term that stands for Group Of Pictures. All compressed videos
are comprised of different kinds of frames. These frames have different
construct. You have 'I' frames, which refer to some intra frame image, these
are based on actual data. Then you have 'P' frames which are actually
predicted images from a construct of a prior actual ('I') video frame that
the codec just guesses with and makes a I frame out of which is a educated
guess of what the frame should be which reduces a lot of duplication and in
part is what allows a file to get compressed. And lastly we have 'B' frames
which are similar to P frames but forward or backward predictions of motion.
All very interesting but beyond the scope of what we're trying to figure out
right now. The point is GSpot shows a visual representation of the GOPs. The
usefullness if this is it should find gaps or corruption if it exists in a
video file.

So does my test file have corruption in it? Yes! The GOP visual shows
several flaws or corrupt frames, all happen to be I frames. This is likely
what is preventing Media Player from playing the audio portion, since the
first frame in this video is one that happens to be corrupt. Apparently Media
Player was able to get over the hump and play the video track anyway, but
failed to play the audio for this reason, while other players apparently were
smart enough to skip over the file corruption.

So now what? Well it doesn't really matter to me since I have other
"smarter" players. But maybe we can fix it. Since corrupt files are a fact of
life when downloading from the Internet for a whole host of reasons if helps
to have some "repair tools" One such application is called Video Fixer. This
is a class of application that can quickly scan a file see corrupt or missing
segements if the file has been split and you jointed it, then make a offset
adjust so it in effect rewrites the file skipping over the bumps. So I try
that.

Now finally Media Player can play the file, both video and audio.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2007
zachd [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: AVI audio on WinXP, no audio on WinVista

Minor addendums...

> By: Adam Albright In: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general


> The point is Media Player won't accept or stumbles on some codecs even if
> they're installed on your system.


There are four different common interfaces a 'normal' codec might support
(ACM/ICM/VFW, DShow, WMFSDK DMO, MF TF). WMP supports all of those. You
can have locked codecs too, but we'll ignore those since I doubt that anyone
else here will ever see or run into those.

If a codec isn't working, it's typically a problem with the codec. There's
little ability (typically) for it to "stumble" or not accept a codec, given
that it's pretty much the reference standard to test a correct codec
implementation.

> Now here's the fun part. What did Media Player just say? It acquired the
> codec. So you would think if I click on the file a second time it would
> just
> start to play right? No, it again says acquiring codec, another 20 seconds
> goes by, then again it plays just the video portion. If I repeat this
> exercise in stupidty ten times then Meida Player will say "acquiring
> codec"
> 10 times each time again going out on the web looking for another copy of
> the
> same codec it already obviously has and again saying it is "installing"
> it,
> but never is it able to play the audio portion.


This has been the case since codec download / codec rollover was first
implemented. If render fails against the first codec, that'll rollover to
the next codec ("codec acquired") and then try again.

> Now the funniest part of all is I can open this video file in any one of
> my
> other players and it plays fine, BOTH the audio and video tracks, and no
> player except for brain dead Media Player needs to acquire any new codec
> off
> the web.


Apples to oranges, given that it's doubtful that they support the full set
of codec interfaces that WMP supports. I'll gladly pay $2 if they support
DShow filters and roll over to VFW in case of failure. =)

More accurate rephrase: "No player except for Media Player tries using the
codec
that you installed..."

> Lets have even more fun. I open the example file in GSpot. (version
> 2.70a)Surprise it isn't a AVI like the file pretends, it is a divX file.


Is it RIFF AVI, or is it .divx ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divx#Di...rmat_.28DMF.29

> Since AVI is a wrapper, Media Player should be smart enough to read the
> file
> header like all my other players do before trying to play or jumping to
> conclusions it is a avi file. But alas, we're talking Microsoft software,
> which we all know isn't too smart.


riffwalk -f0 1048878.divx
00000000 RIFF (0173EB0E) 'AVI '
0000000C LIST (00000256) 'hdrl'
00000018 avih (00000038)
TotalFrames : 4284
Streams : 2
InitialFrames: 0
MaxBytes : 0
BufferSize : 0
uSecPerFrame : 40000
Rate : 25.000 fps
Size : (528, 352)
Flags : 0x00000110
AVIF_HASINDEX
AVIF_ISINTERLEAVED

leading 8 character header sample: "RIFF....AVI."

This is pretty deliberately an attempt to play back in non-'.divx' aware
applications while leveraging off of their background in AVI.

So, as far as I'm aware, WMP is doing the right thing here.

> Lets look deeper. According to Gspot my system has no less then 6 codecs
> that can play the video stream in this file. Since Media Player did play
> the
> video portion it obviously used one of these, but apparently can't
> remember
> since it keeps going out to the web to get a fresh copy every time I ask
> Media Player to play it.


Yeah, it doesn't devalidate the broken codec because the notion that you
would have two codecs on your system, one of them broken, is pretty awful
and has been pretty unsupported since the system began ... ten years ago.

Codec rollover should generally never ever ever ever come in handy. It is
coming in handy here because of problems generally outside of WMP's control.

> So does my test file have corruption in it? Yes! The GOP visual shows
> several flaws or corrupt frames, all happen to be I frames. This is likely
> what is preventing Media Player from playing the audio portion, since the
> first frame in this video is one that happens to be corrupt. Apparently
> Media Player was able to get over the hump and play the video track
> anyway,


This could be why the first codec (presumably a filter) rejected the
content, causing the rollover. If the fixed file could be rendered in
WMP/GSpot, that'd be interesting. Presumably then the vendor of the first
codec might want to think about how to handle corrupt frames. Although
that's a can of worms anyways.

> but failed to play the audio for this reason, while other players
> apparently
> were smart enough to skip over the file corruption.


Skipping over file corruption is actually an extremely interesting action.
You'll note that tendency in Vista is to stop allowing any sort of
corruption: it's a really bad plan, generally. Maybe you can get away with
"skipping over it", but that's not an action that Microsoft as a major
corporation can really get behind. That's the action of a garage company
that can afford to play it a little more fast and loose. =)

-Zach
--
Speaking for myself only.
See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2007
Adam Albright
 

Posts: n/a
Re: AVI audio on WinXP, no audio on WinVista
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:29:22 -0700, "zachd [MSFT]"
<zachd@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>
>Minor addendums...
>
>> By: Adam Albright In: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

>
>> The point is Media Player won't accept or stumbles on some codecs even if
>> they're installed on your system.

>
>There are four different common interfaces a 'normal' codec might support
>(ACM/ICM/VFW, DShow, WMFSDK DMO, MF TF). WMP supports all of those. You
>can have locked codecs too, but we'll ignore those since I doubt that anyone
>else here will ever see or run into those.
>
>If a codec isn't working, it's typically a problem with the codec. There's
>little ability (typically) for it to "stumble" or not accept a codec, given
>that it's pretty much the reference standard to test a correct codec
>implementation.
>
>> Now here's the fun part. What did Media Player just say? It acquired the
>> codec. So you would think if I click on the file a second time it would
>> just
>> start to play right? No, it again says acquiring codec, another 20 seconds
>> goes by, then again it plays just the video portion. If I repeat this
>> exercise in stupidty ten times then Meida Player will say "acquiring
>> codec"
>> 10 times each time again going out on the web looking for another copy of
>> the
>> same codec it already obviously has and again saying it is "installing"
>> it,
>> but never is it able to play the audio portion.

>
>This has been the case since codec download / codec rollover was first
>implemented. If render fails against the first codec, that'll rollover to
>the next codec ("codec acquired") and then try again.
>
>> Now the funniest part of all is I can open this video file in any one of
>> my
>> other players and it plays fine, BOTH the audio and video tracks, and no
>> player except for brain dead Media Player needs to acquire any new codec
>> off
>> the web.

>
>Apples to oranges, given that it's doubtful that they support the full set
>of codec interfaces that WMP supports. I'll gladly pay $2 if they support
>DShow filters and roll over to VFW in case of failure. =)
>
>More accurate rephrase: "No player except for Media Player tries using the
>codec
>that you installed..."
>
>> Lets have even more fun. I open the example file in GSpot. (version
>> 2.70a)Surprise it isn't a AVI like the file pretends, it is a divX file.

>
>Is it RIFF AVI, or is it .divx ?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divx#Di...rmat_.28DMF.29
>
>> Since AVI is a wrapper, Media Player should be smart enough to read the
>> file
>> header like all my other players do before trying to play or jumping to
>> conclusions it is a avi file. But alas, we're talking Microsoft software,
>> which we all know isn't too smart.

>
>riffwalk -f0 1048878.divx
>00000000 RIFF (0173EB0E) 'AVI '
>0000000C LIST (00000256) 'hdrl'
>00000018 avih (00000038)
> TotalFrames : 4284
> Streams : 2
> InitialFrames: 0
> MaxBytes : 0
> BufferSize : 0
> uSecPerFrame : 40000
> Rate : 25.000 fps
> Size : (528, 352)
> Flags : 0x00000110
> AVIF_HASINDEX
> AVIF_ISINTERLEAVED
>
>leading 8 character header sample: "RIFF....AVI."
>
>This is pretty deliberately an attempt to play back in non-'.divx' aware
>applications while leveraging off of their background in AVI.
>
>So, as far as I'm aware, WMP is doing the right thing here.
>
>> Lets look deeper. According to Gspot my system has no less then 6 codecs
>> that can play the video stream in this file. Since Media Player did play
>> the
>> video portion it obviously used one of these, but apparently can't
>> remember
>> since it keeps going out to the web to get a fresh copy every time I ask
>> Media Player to play it.

>
>Yeah, it doesn't devalidate the broken codec because the notion that you
>would have two codecs on your system, one of them broken, is pretty awful
>and has been pretty unsupported since the system began ... ten years ago.
>
>Codec rollover should generally never ever ever ever come in handy. It is
>coming in handy here because of problems generally outside of WMP's control.
>
>> So does my test file have corruption in it? Yes! The GOP visual shows
>> several flaws or corrupt frames, all happen to be I frames. This is likely
>> what is preventing Media Player from playing the audio portion, since the
>> first frame in this video is one that happens to be corrupt. Apparently
>> Media Player was able to get over the hump and play the video track
>> anyway,

>
>This could be why the first codec (presumably a filter) rejected the
>content, causing the rollover. If the fixed file could be rendered in
>WMP/GSpot, that'd be interesting. Presumably then the vendor of the first
>codec might want to think about how to handle corrupt frames. Although
>that's a can of worms anyways.
>
>> but failed to play the audio for this reason, while other players
>> apparently
>> were smart enough to skip over the file corruption.

>
>Skipping over file corruption is actually an extremely interesting action.
>You'll note that tendency in Vista is to stop allowing any sort of
>corruption: it's a really bad plan, generally. Maybe you can get away with
>"skipping over it", but that's not an action that Microsoft as a major
>corporation can really get behind. That's the action of a garage company
>that can afford to play it a little more fast and loose. =)
>
>-Zach


Just once it would be nice to hear Zach or for that matter ANY
Microsoft employee admit Media Player has a lot of issues. Just once.
Fat chance. So much easier to blame third party vendors for
everything. After all, that's been the Microsoft way for 21 years.

If Microsoft is so worried about quality, why did they release Vista
with over 500 known bugs?

As always Zach avoids the real issue. Other players can play files
Media Player keeps choking on. Your word games may fool others, they
don't fool me. Skipping over a "corrupted" part of a file would be
considered a feature by most, not a flaw. After all the player is
simply PLAYING the file, ie what the user expects. Your idea would be
like a radio or TV stopping every time a song has a pop or hiss or
something. That's ridiculous! We're not talking encoding, but
decoding. A good player can manage to get past minor hiccups, but then
Media Player isn't close to being a good player, just more half-baked
Microsoft software prone to sputter along and frequently crash.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2007
zachd [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: AVI audio on WinXP, no audio on WinVista

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
news:i4u58391235gs4sf9bedg43kn9od370mg3@4ax.com...
> Just once it would be nice to hear Zach or for that matter ANY
> Microsoft employee admit Media Player has a lot of issues. Just once.
> Fat chance. So much easier to blame third party vendors for
> everything. After all, that's been the Microsoft way for 21 years.


The top five crashes in WMP Vista remain sourced to third party software. I
don't like that fact either.

If there's a bug in a third party piece of software, there's a bug in a
third party piece of software. If there's a bug in Media Player, there's a
bug in Media Player. I work to fix bugs in WMP, I work to fix bugs in other
vendor's software. I have zero loyalties... I just want stuff to work.
*shrug*

I'm not really on the Media Player team. It doesn't bother me if people
don't like it. It's actually my primary job to work for / with people who
*don't* like Media Player anyways. =)

> As always Zach avoids the real issue. Other players can play files
> Media Player keeps choking on. Your word games may fool others, they
> don't fool me. Skipping over a "corrupted" part of a file would be
> considered a feature by most, not a flaw.


This is old news (the AVI parser hasn't changed substantially since perhaps
1998), and your results implied that it's your third party codec that's
failing here anyways.... ?

Taking a step back, it's "interesting" programming to deal with corrupt
data. That's a vendor-agnostic statement. I'll bypass the rest of that
Computer Science 202 class since it'd be a multiple hour conversation in
real life, let alone via the Internetz, but it's a REALLY interesting
decision. The decision is generally made and reaffirmed that that's a bad
plan for Microsoft. Others can and do party as they please. WMP doesn't
have that "feature", as noted. =)

> A good player can manage to get past minor hiccups, but then
> Media Player isn't close to being a good player, just more half-baked
> Microsoft software prone to sputter along and frequently crash.


Crashes can be sent to the Online Crash Analysis site and dealt with. If
there's some specific crash you're dealing with, be specific about it. I'm
unaware of any "frequent" crashes that don't have responses - if you could
clarify, that'd be great. Help me help you/others. =)

The top five crashes for WMP Vista are caused by third party software.
That's part of what I'm interested in helping solve /sort out, and part of
responsibility is looking at those crash dumps and noticing when somebody
(regardless of whether it's Microsoft or somebody else) double-frees memory
or does other dumb stuff. It does nobody any favors to ignore any of that.
*shrug*

I respect that you're knowledgable in your field and wish you well. If
you're hitting a specific crash, post details and I'll see if there's data
available there. If you're just anti-WMP, no worries, feedback passed
along.

Cheers,
-Z
--
Speaking for myself only.
See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2007
Genuine User
 

Posts: n/a
Re: AVI audio on WinXP, no audio on WinVista
Hi Zachd and Adam

Can we come back to my original question for a while, please. Why are my
Konica Minolta AVI video files playing without audio on Win Vista but not Win
XP?

I was thinking that maybe Windows Vista can play AVI files from cameras with
fixed maximum length. Video files from cameras able to store the AVI on the
fly on the SD card might have another file layout. In my case files from
cameras with fixed maximum video size works on Win Vista.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2007
zachd [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: AVI audio on WinXP, no audio on WinVista

You should put up a sample file somewhere so that we can see if we have the
same experience.

--
Speaking for myself only.
See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--

"Genuine User" <GenuineUser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1C77A96C-202D-4E6B-8891-EB7CB48A23FC@microsoft.com...
> Hi Zachd and Adam
>
> Can we come back to my original question for a while, please. Why are my
> Konica Minolta AVI video files playing without audio on Win Vista but not
> Win
> XP?
>
> I was thinking that maybe Windows Vista can play AVI files from cameras
> with
> fixed maximum length. Video files from cameras able to store the AVI on
> the
> fly on the SD card might have another file layout. In my case files from
> cameras with fixed maximum video size works on Win Vista.



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2007
Genuine User
 

Posts: n/a
Re: AVI audio on WinXP, no audio on WinVista
Zachd,

I uploaded a small sample file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KJAIUR14

Description of the file: Sample AVI of Konica Minolta DiMage E500

You enter a short code given on the page and then they force you to wait for
half a minute before the download button is enabled. :-(

I have made a short sample movie of a stone rolled on a brick path. I have
verified that the download link works and I have verified that the sound
behaves as I have described in earlier posts.

Thanks for looking into this!

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

>
> You should put up a sample file somewhere so that we can see if we have the
> same experience.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> --
>
> "Genuine User" <GenuineUser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1C77A96C-202D-4E6B-8891-EB7CB48A23FC@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Zachd and Adam
> >
> > Can we come back to my original question for a while, please. Why are my
> > Konica Minolta AVI video files playing without audio on Win Vista but not
> > Win
> > XP?
> >
> > I was thinking that maybe Windows Vista can play AVI files from cameras
> > with
> > fixed maximum length. Video files from cameras able to store the AVI on
> > the
> > fly on the SD card might have another file layout. In my case files from
> > cameras with fixed maximum video size works on Win Vista.

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2007
zachd [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: AVI audio on WinXP, no audio on WinVista

For my own reference: it's MJPEG video with CCITT u-Law audio (formattag 7).

So: can you hear the audio from:
http://zachd.com/pss/7-mulaw.wav
?

--
Speaking for myself only.
See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--

"Genuine User" <GenuineUser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:85DBCB0D-41F6-4742-BFBC-E17A838D2CCC@microsoft.com...
> Zachd,
>
> I uploaded a small sample file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KJAIUR14
>
> Description of the file: Sample AVI of Konica Minolta DiMage E500
>
> You enter a short code given on the page and then they force you to wait
> for
> half a minute before the download button is enabled. :-(
>
> I have made a short sample movie of a stone rolled on a brick path. I have
> verified that the download link works and I have verified that the sound
> behaves as I have described in earlier posts.
>
> Thanks for looking into this!
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>>
>> You should put up a sample file somewhere so that we can see if we have
>> the
>> same experience.
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights.
>> --
>>
>> "Genuine User" <GenuineUser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:1C77A96C-202D-4E6B-8891-EB7CB48A23FC@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Zachd and Adam
>> >
>> > Can we come back to my original question for a while, please. Why are
>> > my
>> > Konica Minolta AVI video files playing without audio on Win Vista but
>> > not
>> > Win
>> > XP?
>> >
>> > I was thinking that maybe Windows Vista can play AVI files from cameras
>> > with
>> > fixed maximum length. Video files from cameras able to store the AVI on
>> > the
>> > fly on the SD card might have another file layout. In my case files
>> > from
>> > cameras with fixed maximum video size works on Win Vista.

>>
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2007
Genuine User
 

Posts: n/a
Re: AVI audio on WinXP, no audio on WinVista
Yes I can. "This is a test message for you to use and testing this voice mail".

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

>
> For my own reference: it's MJPEG video with CCITT u-Law audio (formattag 7).
>
> So: can you hear the audio from:
> http://zachd.com/pss/7-mulaw.wav
> ?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> --
>
> "Genuine User" <GenuineUser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:85DBCB0D-41F6-4742-BFBC-E17A838D2CCC@microsoft.com...
> > Zachd,
> >
> > I uploaded a small sample file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KJAIUR14
> >
> > Description of the file: Sample AVI of Konica Minolta DiMage E500
> >
> > You enter a short code given on the page and then they force you to wait
> > for
> > half a minute before the download button is enabled. :-(
> >
> > I have made a short sample movie of a stone rolled on a brick path. I have
> > verified that the download link works and I have verified that the sound
> > behaves as I have described in earlier posts.
> >
> > Thanks for looking into this!
> >
> > "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> You should put up a sample file somewhere so that we can see if we have
> >> the
> >> same experience.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Speaking for myself only.
> >> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> >> rights.
> >> --
> >>
> >> "Genuine User" <GenuineUser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:1C77A96C-202D-4E6B-8891-EB7CB48A23FC@microsoft.com...
> >> > Hi Zachd and Adam
> >> >
> >> > Can we come back to my original question for a while, please. Why are
> >> > my
> >> > Konica Minolta AVI video files playing without audio on Win Vista but
> >> > not
> >> > Win
> >> > XP?
> >> >
> >> > I was thinking that maybe Windows Vista can play AVI files from cameras
> >> > with
> >> > fixed maximum length. Video files from cameras able to store the AVI on
> >> > the
> >> > fly on the SD card might have another file layout. In my case files
> >> > from
> >> > cameras with fixed maximum video size works on Win Vista.
> >>
> >>
> >>

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WMM imports .avi file as audio only Marc Wilson microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 3 08-01-2008 23:45
Audio Issue. WinVista 32bit Pheaturephreak microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 8 01-17-2008 22:50
.avi files imports as audio file Sarah H microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 6 05-12-2007 20:54
Realtek AC'97 audio driver provided by Microsoft. Audio error MCE =?Utf-8?B?R1Q=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 1 03-03-2007 22:54




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:42.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120