Photo files corrupted when loading -

EricB

Photo files corrupted when loading -
I am having a problem with about 25% of the photos I'm loading getting
corrupted - they are viewable in thumbnail and full photos but they are
getting stripped with a color bar and/or mis-aligned horizontally. Anybody
heard of this problem?

HP support has been less than worthless - same error has occurred using
Nikon D50, Canon S3, and Casio Exlim all with different SD media. Error
occurs regardless of load method (direct SD media reader, USB camera
connection, importing with Windows application or the software provided with
the camera - i.e. ZoomBrowser).

See example:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...s/IMG_0139.jpg

HP-Pavillion Media Center m8000n
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE
Windows Vista Home Premium
Greg

Re: Photo files corrupted when loading -
Yep, have had same problem, especially USB device (camera) to laptop to
network to USB device (external HD). I have posted about it in several of
these forums without any solution being offered. Apparently it has something
to do with Vista permissions.

This is what I wrote in another post about it. Note especially the second
paragraph which appears to be what you're experiencing:

"I'd advise anyone with an Olympus camera that places Camedia panorama
markers on jpegs to think twice about using Windows Gallery to download them
to their computer. Windows Gallery when it imports them appears to overwrite
the markers that tell the Olympus Camedia/Master software that the pictures
are part of a panorama, with its own markers that specify things like the
folder you've downloaded them to. This renders the picture unable to be
stitched into a panorama. I can't believe MS have done this. Other similar
picture handling software such as Adobe Album never changes the actual file
(at least not without asking nicely first) but keeps changes as a copy.

On at least two other occasions I have even found that Windows Vista file
handling actually corrupts the jpg entirely, somehow rubbing out the jpeg
marker itself and making the file no longer recognisable as a jpg. Vista
file handling is a disgrace. "

So you can see that it is not just a HP problem - I have an ASUS laptop and
it does the same. It's also not an SD problem as I have an Olympus camera
with an XD card. It appears to be a Vista USB file-handling problem.

Sometimes I have had the jpg made completely unreadable, other times it is
corrupted like the photo you posted, with stripes of random data written
over the jpg information. Like you I find it occurring using several ways of
importing - camera software, Windows Photo Gallery, etc. However for me it
doesn't usually do it by using Windows folders to drag the photos from the
camera folder (unless it is a huge number of very large files, in which case
I get a "insufficient quota error" - even though there are no quotas - and
the data is corrupted and I can't copy anything more from anywhere to
anywhere else until I reboot). I have now stopped importing anything using
Windows Gallery - it is just too dangerous.

Let me know if you find out anythng useful. The Microsft KB is less than
helpful - it seems to want to tell you mostly only about things that go
right with Vista.

regards,
Greg

"EricB" <EricB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news2C23E92-08A4-42C0-A3F6-107BCD91D1A1@microsoft.com...
>I am having a problem with about 25% of the photos I'm loading getting
> corrupted - they are viewable in thumbnail and full photos but they are
> getting stripped with a color bar and/or mis-aligned horizontally.
> Anybody
> heard of this problem?
>
> HP support has been less than worthless - same error has occurred using
> Nikon D50, Canon S3, and Casio Exlim all with different SD media. Error
> occurs regardless of load method (direct SD media reader, USB camera
> connection, importing with Windows application or the software provided
> with
> the camera - i.e. ZoomBrowser).
>
> See example:
> http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...s/IMG_0139.jpg
>
> HP-Pavillion Media Center m8000n
> NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE
> Windows Vista Home Premium

tewkes

RE: Photo files corrupted when loading -
EricB -

I am also have the same exact problem. Uploaded pictures from 3 different
cameras from external HD to Vista on HP a6110 PC. My pictures are the same
as your pictures - 25-30% are suspect and the same stripes. Thumbnails all
look fine also. Tried multiple programs. Even tried putting HD back into XP
system, but still corrupt. If I would have known about this problem, I would
not have jumped into Vista like I did. If this has ruined 25-30% of my files
for the past 9 years, I am going to be extremely upset.

Please please please keep me posted on what you find out on this issue and I
will do the same.

Kris T