Codec Priority

Ash

Codec Priority
Hi

I was wondering how I can change the audio codec priority in Windows Vista?
In Windows XP this could be done using Control Panel, as you could look at
the properties of the device "Audio Codecs" and see a list installed on the
system and adjust priority easily. There does not seem to be a way to do
this in Vista.

I desperately need to change audio codec priority as some programs such as
Nero Vision and Adobe Premiere seem to only want to list the first few
codecs and will not show up special codecs (e.g. Lame MP3) unless the codec
priority is high enough.

I hope someone can help.

Many thanks

Uponthis

RE: Codec Priority
How about a codec package for Vista to help you a little more?
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Vista_Code..._4a_d5701.html

"Ash" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was wondering how I can change the audio codec priority in Windows Vista?
> In Windows XP this could be done using Control Panel, as you could look at
> the properties of the device "Audio Codecs" and see a list installed on the
> system and adjust priority easily. There does not seem to be a way to do
> this in Vista.
>
> I desperately need to change audio codec priority as some programs such as
> Nero Vision and Adobe Premiere seem to only want to list the first few
> codecs and will not show up special codecs (e.g. Lame MP3) unless the codec
> priority is high enough.
>
> I hope someone can help.
>
> Many thanks

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Codec Priority

That's not going to do anything positive. Uninstalling codecs has always
been a headache in Windows, and putting in a random collection of codecs
that stomps on other *working* codecs is just a bad plan all around.

Codec packs remain horrible. You are always better served by simply find
the specific codec you need and getting it direct from the vendor, ensuring
you get the latest and (or?) best version of that codec.

Sorry: I work in this field, and codec packs are pretty much the number one
source of problems. If we all just walk quietly away from them, things
would run a lot smoother. =\

-Z
--
Speaking for myself only.

"Uponthis" <uponthis@goowy.com> wrote in message
> How about a codec package for Vista to help you a little more?
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/Vista_Code..._4a_d5701.html
>
> "Ash" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I was wondering how I can change the audio codec priority in Windows
>> Vista?
>> In Windows XP this could be done using Control Panel, as you could look
>> at
>> the properties of the device "Audio Codecs" and see a list installed on
>> the
>> system and adjust priority easily. There does not seem to be a way to do
>> this in Vista.
>>
>> I desperately need to change audio codec priority as some programs such
>> as
>> Nero Vision and Adobe Premiere seem to only want to list the first few
>> codecs and will not show up special codecs (e.g. Lame MP3) unless the
>> codec
>> priority is high enough.
>>
>> I hope someone can help.
>>
>> Many thanks

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Codec Priority

You're referring to generally outmoded functionality. Are you sure your
tools are actually dependent upon that? Those sound like unrelated issues.
Your tools should be able to use whatever pluggable codecs they support.
For example, if you had a tool that supported random ACM codecs, having the
LAME ACM encoder would let that work...

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Ash" <tomlow01@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I was wondering how I can change the audio codec priority in Windows
> Vista? In Windows XP this could be done using Control Panel, as you could
> look at the properties of the device "Audio Codecs" and see a list
> installed on the system and adjust priority easily. There does not seem to
> be a way to do this in Vista.
>
> I desperately need to change audio codec priority as some programs such as
> Nero Vision and Adobe Premiere seem to only want to list the first few
> codecs and will not show up special codecs (e.g. Lame MP3) unless the
> codec priority is high enough.
>
> I hope someone can help.
>
> Many thanks

Jume

Re: Codec Priority
what about ffdshow ( http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/ )

not really a codec pack, but more like "only one to make it all", i've been
using it for long long years without problems, and now finally there is a
newer version which adresses the "com surrogate stop working" in vista

watch out, ffdshow-tryout is the newer version (march 2007 as of now),
ffdshow "as-is" (2004) will give troubles with mpgs live icons and such

if you know something that could be bad with it, just tell (you know, i do
not make stress tests)

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Codec Priority

That is absolutely not a codec pack. The old versions of FFDShow floating
around do cause a lot of problems (which is why I really prefer if people
use the current proper name "FFDShow Tryouts" instead of "FFDShow"), but
FFDShow Tryouts is a first party codec that's still being worked on and that
you can get a level of support for.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Jume" <jume@konithuki.com> wrote in message
> what about ffdshow ( http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/ )
>
> not really a codec pack, but more like "only one to make it all", i've
> been using it for long long years without problems, and now finally there
> is a newer version which adresses the "com surrogate stop working" in
> vista
>
> watch out, ffdshow-tryout is the newer version (march 2007 as of now),
> ffdshow "as-is" (2004) will give troubles with mpgs live icons and such
>
> if you know something that could be bad with it, just tell (you know, i do
> not make stress tests)

Java

Re: Codec Priority
Hello, I was thinking of downing loading the same codecs from codec. Perhaps
you can help me. I purchased a dell basic and I cannot convert ram files to
wave. I use a site called illustrate that has a converter which, I used on my
old cp which had xp and creative sound blaster. The dell has sigma tel which
is now idt. When I try to convert a ram file to wave I get a msg "direct show
filter for ram files not installed" yet it is. I wonder if this is a vista
problem, a sound problem or what could it be.

Would appreciate your thoughts.
--
Jim