Windows Photo Gallery - Suddenly Not Finding Pictures in Folders

sbyun

Windows Photo Gallery - Suddenly Not Finding Pictures in Folders
I've been using WPG successfully for a few months. Suddenly it's not finding
any new pictures in the linked folders.

Details: I have a folder on my hard drive called "Pics_005". This folder is
already added to WPG. Within this folder, there are 10 subfolders. When I
originally added Pics_005 to WPG, the 10 subfolders were automatically
detected and the pics in those subfolders automatically displayed in WPG.

Now, there are 2 new subfolders in Pics_005. (12 subfolders total). WPG did
not automatically detect the 2 new subfolders. So I went to File | Add Folder
to Gallery and manually added the 2 new subfolders. I can see the folders in
WPG's left hand pane, but I cannot see the contents of the 2 subfolders from
within WPG.

NOTE: I can launch Windows Explorer and see the 2 subfolders, as well as
viewing the thumbnails from within Explorer.

I've left WPG running overnight in the hopes that it would eventually start
looking for newly added folders/images, but no dice. I also tried copying one
of the 10 original subfolders (and copying the images in that old subfolder),
but WPG won't work with that newly copied subfolder either.
sbyun

RE: Windows Photo Gallery - Suddenly Not Finding Pictures in Folders
anyone?

"sbyun" wrote:

> I've been using WPG successfully for a few months. Suddenly it's not finding
> any new pictures in the linked folders.
>
> Details: I have a folder on my hard drive called "Pics_005". This folder is
> already added to WPG. Within this folder, there are 10 subfolders. When I
> originally added Pics_005 to WPG, the 10 subfolders were automatically
> detected and the pics in those subfolders automatically displayed in WPG.
>
> Now, there are 2 new subfolders in Pics_005. (12 subfolders total). WPG did
> not automatically detect the 2 new subfolders. So I went to File | Add Folder
> to Gallery and manually added the 2 new subfolders. I can see the folders in
> WPG's left hand pane, but I cannot see the contents of the 2 subfolders from
> within WPG.
>
> NOTE: I can launch Windows Explorer and see the 2 subfolders, as well as
> viewing the thumbnails from within Explorer.
>
> I've left WPG running overnight in the hopes that it would eventually start
> looking for newly added folders/images, but no dice. I also tried copying one
> of the 10 original subfolders (and copying the images in that old subfolder),
> but WPG won't work with that newly copied subfolder either.

Greg

Re: Windows Photo Gallery - Suddenly Not Finding Pictures in Folders
Sorry I can't help you, other than to suggest using another program to
organise your photos. I have found Photo Gallery to be so unreliable I have
stopped using it altogether, especially to import pictures as it corrupts
data when downloaded from cameras and other usb connected devices.

"sbyun" <sbyun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsD20B38E-F9C1-4D27-9956-A94BD69002C0@microsoft.com...
> anyone?
>
> "sbyun" wrote:
>
>> I've been using WPG successfully for a few months. Suddenly it's not
>> finding
>> any new pictures in the linked folders.
>>
>> Details: I have a folder on my hard drive called "Pics_005". This folder
>> is
>> already added to WPG. Within this folder, there are 10 subfolders. When I
>> originally added Pics_005 to WPG, the 10 subfolders were automatically
>> detected and the pics in those subfolders automatically displayed in WPG.
>>
>> Now, there are 2 new subfolders in Pics_005. (12 subfolders total). WPG
>> did
>> not automatically detect the 2 new subfolders. So I went to File | Add
>> Folder
>> to Gallery and manually added the 2 new subfolders. I can see the folders
>> in
>> WPG's left hand pane, but I cannot see the contents of the 2 subfolders
>> from
>> within WPG.
>>
>> NOTE: I can launch Windows Explorer and see the 2 subfolders, as well as
>> viewing the thumbnails from within Explorer.
>>
>> I've left WPG running overnight in the hopes that it would eventually
>> start
>> looking for newly added folders/images, but no dice. I also tried copying
>> one
>> of the 10 original subfolders (and copying the images in that old
>> subfolder),
>> but WPG won't work with that newly copied subfolder either.

sbyun

Re: Windows Photo Gallery - Suddenly Not Finding Pictures in Folde
Greg, thanks for replying. I am leaning toward abandoning WPG as well.

MICROSOFT PRODUCT TEAM: Do any of you monitor these forums? Your product is
looking very bad, and the lack of support is even worse. Please help!!!

"Greg" wrote:

> Sorry I can't help you, other than to suggest using another program to
> organise your photos. I have found Photo Gallery to be so unreliable I have
> stopped using it altogether, especially to import pictures as it corrupts
> data when downloaded from cameras and other usb connected devices.
>

> "sbyun" <sbyun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsD20B38E-F9C1-4D27-9956-A94BD69002C0@microsoft.com...
> > anyone?
> >
> > "sbyun" wrote:
> >
> >> I've been using WPG successfully for a few months. Suddenly it's not
> >> finding
> >> any new pictures in the linked folders.
> >>
> >> Details: I have a folder on my hard drive called "Pics_005". This folder
> >> is
> >> already added to WPG. Within this folder, there are 10 subfolders. When I
> >> originally added Pics_005 to WPG, the 10 subfolders were automatically
> >> detected and the pics in those subfolders automatically displayed in WPG.
> >>
> >> Now, there are 2 new subfolders in Pics_005. (12 subfolders total). WPG
> >> did
> >> not automatically detect the 2 new subfolders. So I went to File | Add
> >> Folder
> >> to Gallery and manually added the 2 new subfolders. I can see the folders
> >> in
> >> WPG's left hand pane, but I cannot see the contents of the 2 subfolders
> >> from
> >> within WPG.
> >>
> >> NOTE: I can launch Windows Explorer and see the 2 subfolders, as well as
> >> viewing the thumbnails from within Explorer.
> >>
> >> I've left WPG running overnight in the hopes that it would eventually
> >> start
> >> looking for newly added folders/images, but no dice. I also tried copying
> >> one
> >> of the 10 original subfolders (and copying the images in that old
> >> subfolder),
> >> but WPG won't work with that newly copied subfolder either.

LauraJ

Re: Windows Photo Gallery - Suddenly Not Finding Pictures in Folde
Have you recently switched your user account to have administrator privs or
turned on or off UAC? If so, you might try changing the settings back to
what they were and see if it helps.