audio device not installed

Kristin

audio device not installed
I recently installed an express upgrade for Vista. It wasn't recognizing my
sound card at first. Well, I got that program fixed, but now it says I have
no audio recording device installed. I'm looking for suggestions or a fix.
Any ideas?
Cal Bear '66

Re: audio device not installed
What audio adapter do you have?

Have you uninstalled your audio adapter driver (and any associated programs in
Control Panel > Programs and Features) and reinstalled the latest Vista drivers
from your audio adapter manufacturer, motherboard manufacturer or computer
manufacturer?

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Kristin" <Kristin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently installed an express upgrade for Vista. It wasn't recognizing my
> sound card at first. Well, I got that program fixed, but now it says I have
> no audio recording device installed. I'm looking for suggestions or a fix.
> Any ideas?

Kristin

Re: audio device not installed
I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest driver with the help of Gateway tech
support to get my speakers working. Before I did that I had a sound card and
now I have two options 1) Speakeres (High Definition Audio Device) and 2)
Digital Output Device (SPDIF). I hope this is what you are talking about.
I'm not the most tech savy. I've tried them both, and when I go to recording
it says No audio devices are installed.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> What audio adapter do you have?
>
> Have you uninstalled your audio adapter driver (and any associated programs in
> Control Panel > Programs and Features) and reinstalled the latest Vista drivers
> from your audio adapter manufacturer, motherboard manufacturer or computer
> manufacturer?
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Kristin" <Kristin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently installed an express upgrade for Vista. It wasn't recognizing my
> > sound card at first. Well, I got that program fixed, but now it says I have
> > no audio recording device installed. I'm looking for suggestions or a fix.
> > Any ideas?

Cal Bear '66

Re: audio device not installed
You should go to Control Panel > Device Manager, and check under Sound, video
and game controllers to see what is listed for your audio adapter (Realtek ,
Sigma Tel, etc.) and see if it has any yellow exclamation points or red Xs.

Have you right clicked on the Speaker icon in the Notification Area of the
Taskbar, selected Recording Devices, right clicked in the window and selected
both Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices?

--

>I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest driver with the help of Gateway tech
> support to get my speakers working. Before I did that I had a sound card and
> now I have two options 1) Speakeres (High Definition Audio Device) and 2)
> Digital Output Device (SPDIF). I hope this is what you are talking about.
> I'm not the most tech savy. I've tried them both, and when I go to recording
> it says No audio devices are installed.
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> What audio adapter do you have?
>>
>> Have you uninstalled your audio adapter driver (and any associated programs
>> in
>> Control Panel > Programs and Features) and reinstalled the latest Vista
>> drivers
>> from your audio adapter manufacturer, motherboard manufacturer or computer
>> manufacturer?
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Kristin" <Kristin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently installed an express upgrade for Vista. It wasn't recognizing my
>> > sound card at first. Well, I got that program fixed, but now it says I
>> > have
>> > no audio recording device installed. I'm looking for suggestions or a fix.
>> > Any ideas?

Kristin

Re: audio device not installed
OK..When I do that it just says High Definition Audio Device...It was saying
Sigma Tel before I fixed my speaker problem and it did have a yelow
exclamation point. None there now though. I tried the second thing too and
selected both of those options and nothing happened.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> You should go to Control Panel > Device Manager, and check under Sound, video
> and game controllers to see what is listed for your audio adapter (Realtek ,
> Sigma Tel, etc.) and see if it has any yellow exclamation points or red Xs.
>
> Have you right clicked on the Speaker icon in the Notification Area of the
> Taskbar, selected Recording Devices, right clicked in the window and selected
> both Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices?
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Kristin" <Kristin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest driver with the help of Gateway tech
> > support to get my speakers working. Before I did that I had a sound card and
> > now I have two options 1) Speakeres (High Definition Audio Device) and 2)
> > Digital Output Device (SPDIF). I hope this is what you are talking about.
> > I'm not the most tech savy. I've tried them both, and when I go to recording
> > it says No audio devices are installed.
> >
> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> What audio adapter do you have?
> >>
> >> Have you uninstalled your audio adapter driver (and any associated programs
> >> in
> >> Control Panel > Programs and Features) and reinstalled the latest Vista
> >> drivers
> >> from your audio adapter manufacturer, motherboard manufacturer or computer
> >> manufacturer?
> >>
> >> --
> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

Cal Bear '66

Re: audio device not installed
This is definitely a driver problem. Go to Gateway's site and download the
Sigma Tel Vista drivers for your specific computer model.

Uninstall the older drivers first for best results (you can do this through
Device Manager) and install the latest Vista drivers.

If you tell me your computer model no., I can help you look.

--

> OK..When I do that it just says High Definition Audio Device...It was saying
> Sigma Tel before I fixed my speaker problem and it did have a yelow
> exclamation point. None there now though. I tried the second thing too and
> selected both of those options and nothing happened.
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> You should go to Control Panel > Device Manager, and check under Sound, video
>> and game controllers to see what is listed for your audio adapter (Realtek ,
>> Sigma Tel, etc.) and see if it has any yellow exclamation points or red Xs.
>>
>> Have you right clicked on the Speaker icon in the Notification Area of the
>> Taskbar, selected Recording Devices, right clicked in the window and selected
>> both Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices?
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Kristin" <Kristin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest driver with the help of Gateway
>> >tech
>> > support to get my speakers working. Before I did that I had a sound card
>> > and
>> > now I have two options 1) Speakeres (High Definition Audio Device) and 2)
>> > Digital Output Device (SPDIF). I hope this is what you are talking about.
>> > I'm not the most tech savy. I've tried them both, and when I go to
>> > recording
>> > it says No audio devices are installed.

Re: audio device not installed
I have a M400 Toshiba laptop and experienced the exact same issue and nothing
doing. Uninstalled and re-installed using differenct ways, etc, all with
reboots in between, etc. It seems that Sigmatel has not fixed this issue that
exists from day one on Vista...even they they've just updated the driver for
my model. Worked perfectly on XP. And yes, I did all the rest of it: windows
updates; check any issues through the device manager; go to soud reording
devices and unhidde potentially hidden devices but nothing shows except for
the microphone...

I need to be able to capture the sound directly from the sound card and not
from the microphone.

It's been a year since Vista has launched!! Those issues should be resolved
by now. Even though it's Sigmatel's responsibility; it takes 2 to tango and
Microsoft must step up and ensure that partners adjust theit driver fast
enough for a successful customer experience otherwise you launching new OS is
shooting yourself in the foot. I wasted countless hours troubleshooting this
issue. If that does not get resolved in the next few days, I'll go back to XP
and would recommend the same to anyone seeking my advice. Thanks.