Movie DVDs

Bob J

Movie DVDs
My desktop DVD/Cd drive does not recognize/load commercial Movie DVDs.
Regional setting correct Australia - Region 4. -= (Have reset, just incase)
Drive will recognize /load every other form of DVD/CD.
Checked for most recent Driver.
The DVDs operate OK on other machines and DVD player attached to TV
Any suggestions or solutions welcome, even obvious ones!!!!!
Vista Home Premium installed & working like a Bondi Tram.
Regards
Bob J
John Inzer

Re: Movie DVDs
Bob J wrote:
> My desktop DVD/Cd drive does not recognize/load commercial Movie DVDs.
> Regional setting correct Australia - Region 4. -= (Have reset, just
> incase) Drive will recognize /load every other form of DVD/CD.
> Checked for most recent Driver.
> The DVDs operate OK on other machines and DVD player attached to TV
> Any suggestions or solutions welcome, even obvious ones!!!!!
> Vista Home Premium installed & working like a Bondi Tram.
> Regards
> Bob J

==============================
Do you have a DVD decoder installed?

Info on DVD Decoders:
Plug-ins for Windows Media Player
http://tinyurl.com/j9e29

VLC media player (free)
http://www.videolan.org/

AVS DVD Player (free)
http://tinyurl.com/3bs3bz

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Buellpilot

Re: Movie DVDs
With Vista Home Premium installed the MS DVD decoder should already be
installed.

When the disc is in the drive can you see the Video_TS folder in explorer?

What are you using to play the DVD? WMP11? Vista Media Center?

"John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message
> Bob J wrote:
>> My desktop DVD/Cd drive does not recognize/load commercial Movie DVDs.
>> Regional setting correct Australia - Region 4. -= (Have reset, just
>> incase) Drive will recognize /load every other form of DVD/CD.
>> Checked for most recent Driver.
>> The DVDs operate OK on other machines and DVD player attached to TV
>> Any suggestions or solutions welcome, even obvious ones!!!!!
>> Vista Home Premium installed & working like a Bondi Tram.
>> Regards
>> Bob J

> ==============================
> Do you have a DVD decoder installed?
>
> Info on DVD Decoders:
> Plug-ins for Windows Media Player
> http://tinyurl.com/j9e29
>
> VLC media player (free)
> http://www.videolan.org/
>
> AVS DVD Player (free)
> http://tinyurl.com/3bs3bz
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Picture It! -
> Digital Image MVP
>
> Digital Image
> Highlights and FAQs
> http://tinyurl.com/aczzp
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

Bob J

Re: Movie DVDs
The problems is that - only - Commercial DVD Movies are not even acknowledged
by the DVD drive as being inserted, does not read any files or folders on
movie DVDs
Can play all other types (copied movies, music, data, etc)
Have decoder installed and other DVDs/CDs play OK on WMP, WMC, Sonic, etc.
Still checking other websites & knowledge sources.
If you can think of any thing else please post.
--
Regards
Bob J

"Buellpilot" wrote:

> With Vista Home Premium installed the MS DVD decoder should already be
> installed.
>
> When the disc is in the drive can you see the Video_TS folder in explorer?
>
> What are you using to play the DVD? WMP11? Vista Media Center?
>

> "John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message
> > Bob J wrote:
> >> My desktop DVD/Cd drive does not recognize/load commercial Movie DVDs.
> >> Regional setting correct Australia - Region 4. -= (Have reset, just
> >> incase) Drive will recognize /load every other form of DVD/CD.
> >> Checked for most recent Driver.
> >> The DVDs operate OK on other machines and DVD player attached to TV
> >> Any suggestions or solutions welcome, even obvious ones!!!!!
> >> Vista Home Premium installed & working like a Bondi Tram.
> >> Regards
> >> Bob J

> > ==============================
> > Do you have a DVD decoder installed?
> >
> > Info on DVD Decoders:
> > Plug-ins for Windows Media Player
> > http://tinyurl.com/j9e29
> >
> > VLC media player (free)
> > http://www.videolan.org/
> >
> > AVS DVD Player (free)
> > http://tinyurl.com/3bs3bz
> >
> > --
> >
> > John Inzer
> > MS Picture It! -
> > Digital Image MVP
> >
> > Digital Image
> > Highlights and FAQs
> > http://tinyurl.com/aczzp
> >
> > Notice
> > This is not tech support
> > I am a volunteer
> >
> > Solutions that work for
> > me may not work for you
> >
> > Proceed at your own risk

Adam Albright

Re: Movie DVDs
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 07:56:00 -0700, Bob J
<BobJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The problems is that - only - Commercial DVD Movies are not even acknowledged
>by the DVD drive as being inserted, does not read any files or folders on
>movie DVDs

What exactly do you mean by "not even acknowledged by the DVD drive as
being inserted?"

1. The disc won't spin up, just sits there, nothing happens?
2. It spins up but doesn't show any menu?
3. It starts to spin up then gets ejected or hangs?
4. Something else?

Can you read what's one such a disc by viewing in Windows Explorer?

>Can play all other types (copied movies, music, data, etc)
>Have decoder installed and other DVDs/CDs play OK on WMP, WMC, Sonic, etc.
>Still checking other websites & knowledge sources.
>If you can think of any thing else please post.

Bob J

Re: Movie DVDs
Adam
In answer to your questions.
When DVD inserted, the Disk spins, activity light on for approx, 20secs,
stops.
Open Window Explorer, no indication that a disk is inserted, double-click on
drive, drive drive opens, box appears, message "Insert disk into Drive
"E"!!!!!!
No folders shown!!!!!
I realise it sounds strange but action only occurs with Commercial Movie
DVDs, every other DVD/CD format works OK.
The machine is a dedicated Media Centre PC, fully Vista Designed, I have no
other problems.
Do not normally watch movies on PC, use Entertainment Centre attached to TV.

--
Regards
Bob J

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 07:56:00 -0700, Bob J
> <BobJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >The problems is that - only - Commercial DVD Movies are not even acknowledged
> >by the DVD drive as being inserted, does not read any files or folders on
> >movie DVDs

> What exactly do you mean by "not even acknowledged by the DVD drive as
> being inserted?"
>
> 1. The disc won't spin up, just sits there, nothing happens?
> 2. It spins up but doesn't show any menu?
> 3. It starts to spin up then gets ejected or hangs?
> 4. Something else?
>
> Can you read what's one such a disc by viewing in Windows Explorer?
>

> >Can play all other types (copied movies, music, data, etc)
> >Have decoder installed and other DVDs/CDs play OK on WMP, WMC, Sonic, etc.
> >Still checking other websites & knowledge sources.
> >If you can think of any thing else please post.

Adam Albright

Re: Movie DVDs
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:50:00 -0700, Bob J
<BobJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Adam
>In answer to your questions.
>When DVD inserted, the Disk spins, activity light on for approx, 20secs,
>stops.
>Open Window Explorer, no indication that a disk is inserted, double-click on
>drive, drive drive opens, box appears, message "Insert disk into Drive
>"E"!!!!!!
>No folders shown!!!!!
>I realise it sounds strange but action only occurs with Commercial Movie
>DVDs, every other DVD/CD format works OK.

That indeed is pretty strange. First time I recall anybody having that
exact problem. If it only happens on commercial DVDs it sounds like it
has some odd thing to do with regions or DRM (Digital Rights
Management). Can you check the firmware of the drive and see if it is
set for your region (zone)?

These aren't HD DVD's by any chance are they?

Vista includes content protection infrastructure specifically designed
to help ensure that protected commercial audiovisual content, such as
newly released HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs, can be enjoyed on Windows
however If the policies require protections that Windows Vista can't
support, then the content would not be able to play at all on Windows
Vista PCs so could be a DRM issue too but doubtful. In other words the
DVD may have some goofy protection scheme that Vista don't understand
so it won't play. I'm stumped.

Bob J

Re: Movie DVDs
Thanks to all for advise & suggestions, I too am aware of what Adam wrote,
unfortunately it is not just one Movie DVD that this occurs but all and so
far only on this machine.
The fact that the DVDs plays on my other machines - XP & Linux, it also has
me stumped, have not had the opportunity to try on another Vista Machine.
Region is correctly set for region - Aust - Region 4.
I do not think it is something that is Vista related, I feel it a setting
only relating to this machine.
Will let you know if I resolve the problem.
"All Challenges can be conquered."
--
Regards
Bob J

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:50:00 -0700, Bob J
> <BobJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Adam
> >In answer to your questions.
> >When DVD inserted, the Disk spins, activity light on for approx, 20secs,
> >stops.
> >Open Window Explorer, no indication that a disk is inserted, double-click on
> >drive, drive drive opens, box appears, message "Insert disk into Drive
> >"E"!!!!!!
> >No folders shown!!!!!
> >I realise it sounds strange but action only occurs with Commercial Movie
> >DVDs, every other DVD/CD format works OK.

> That indeed is pretty strange. First time I recall anybody having that
> exact problem. If it only happens on commercial DVDs it sounds like it
> has some odd thing to do with regions or DRM (Digital Rights
> Management). Can you check the firmware of the drive and see if it is
> set for your region (zone)?
>
> These aren't HD DVD's by any chance are they?
>
> Vista includes content protection infrastructure specifically designed
> to help ensure that protected commercial audiovisual content, such as
> newly released HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs, can be enjoyed on Windows
> however If the policies require protections that Windows Vista can't
> support, then the content would not be able to play at all on Windows
> Vista PCs so could be a DRM issue too but doubtful. In other words the
> DVD may have some goofy protection scheme that Vista don't understand
> so it won't play. I'm stumped.

Bob J

Re: Movie DVDs
No they are not HD-DVDs!!!!!
--
Regards
Bob J

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:50:00 -0700, Bob J
> <BobJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Adam
> >In answer to your questions.
> >When DVD inserted, the Disk spins, activity light on for approx, 20secs,
> >stops.
> >Open Window Explorer, no indication that a disk is inserted, double-click on
> >drive, drive drive opens, box appears, message "Insert disk into Drive
> >"E"!!!!!!
> >No folders shown!!!!!
> >I realise it sounds strange but action only occurs with Commercial Movie
> >DVDs, every other DVD/CD format works OK.

> That indeed is pretty strange. First time I recall anybody having that
> exact problem. If it only happens on commercial DVDs it sounds like it
> has some odd thing to do with regions or DRM (Digital Rights
> Management). Can you check the firmware of the drive and see if it is
> set for your region (zone)?
>
> These aren't HD DVD's by any chance are they?
>
> Vista includes content protection infrastructure specifically designed
> to help ensure that protected commercial audiovisual content, such as
> newly released HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs, can be enjoyed on Windows
> however If the policies require protections that Windows Vista can't
> support, then the content would not be able to play at all on Windows
> Vista PCs so could be a DRM issue too but doubtful. In other words the
> DVD may have some goofy protection scheme that Vista don't understand
> so it won't play. I'm stumped.

Buellpilot

Re: Movie DVDs
Have you tried the DVD drive from one of your other PCs
in the Vista machine?

It might just me something flaky with the drive....