recording vinyl albums to computer - only getting one channel

Buella

recording vinyl albums to computer - only getting one channel
I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium.

I'm using the tape out from an old preamp to connect to the Line In on my
sound card. It is recording but I only seem to be getting one channel (no
stereo).

I can play some of the sample music files that came on the computer and I'm
getting both channels.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
--
Buella
Adam Albright

Re: recording vinyl albums to computer - only getting one channel
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:34:01 -0700, Buella
<Buella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium.
>
>I'm using the tape out from an old preamp to connect to the Line In on my
>sound card. It is recording but I only seem to be getting one channel (no
>stereo).

Common problem. Professional audio cards support multiple input
channels. You may be able to configure some sound cards or build in
audio coming from a motherboard to keep your left and right channels
separate by reassigning some speaker ports BUT unless you can do the
same through your preamp (have SPERATE right and left channel out
you're still barking up the wrong tree.

>I can play some of the sample music files that came on the computer and I'm
>getting both channels.

That's because the sample files contain BOTH a left and right channel.
What you're doing combines the audio into a single channel when you're
trying to capture it thus losing the stereo effect.

John

Re: recording vinyl albums to computer - only getting one channel
Double check the male plug you're using from the amp to the Line-In female
plug. Sometimes the female is mono or, if stereo, the two channels may not
align correctly with the make plug you are using.

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:34:01 -0700, Buella
> <Buella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium.
>>
>>I'm using the tape out from an old preamp to connect to the Line In on my
>>sound card. It is recording but I only seem to be getting one channel (no
>>stereo).

> Common problem. Professional audio cards support multiple input
> channels. You may be able to configure some sound cards or build in
> audio coming from a motherboard to keep your left and right channels
> separate by reassigning some speaker ports BUT unless you can do the
> same through your preamp (have SPERATE right and left channel out
> you're still barking up the wrong tree.
>>
>>I can play some of the sample music files that came on the computer and
>>I'm
>>getting both channels.

> That's because the sample files contain BOTH a left and right channel.
> What you're doing combines the audio into a single channel when you're
> trying to capture it thus losing the stereo effect.

Buella

Re: recording vinyl albums to computer - only getting one channel
Thanks John and Adam for the responses.
I do have separate left and right outputs from the preamp.
The adaptor used to connect the 2 RCA plugs to the single Line In plug is
supposed to be a Stereo adaptor. (It's just a cheapy from Radio Shack).
My understanding from Gateway (model GM5442) is that the Line In jack on the
sound card is supposed to be stereo.

Thanks

--
Buella

"John" wrote:

> Double check the male plug you're using from the amp to the Line-In female
> plug. Sometimes the female is mono or, if stereo, the two channels may not
> align correctly with the make plug you are using.
>

> "Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:34:01 -0700, Buella
> > <Buella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium.
> >>
> >>I'm using the tape out from an old preamp to connect to the Line In on my
> >>sound card. It is recording but I only seem to be getting one channel (no
> >>stereo).

> > Common problem. Professional audio cards support multiple input
> > channels. You may be able to configure some sound cards or build in
> > audio coming from a motherboard to keep your left and right channels
> > separate by reassigning some speaker ports BUT unless you can do the
> > same through your preamp (have SPERATE right and left channel out
> > you're still barking up the wrong tree.
> >>
> >>I can play some of the sample music files that came on the computer and
> >>I'm
> >>getting both channels.

> > That's because the sample files contain BOTH a left and right channel.
> > What you're doing combines the audio into a single channel when you're
> > trying to capture it thus losing the stereo effect.

Wayne L

Re: recording vinyl albums to computer - only getting one channel
Not knowing your computer savvy, I hope I don't offend. The input in the back
of your computer is not for the common RCA plug as are your preamp outputs.
What you need is a special adaptor plug (also about $6) specific to
computers. This single input plug is Stereo when plugged into the correct
hole. Wayne
--
Wayne L