photogallery + tagging + xmp

Jume

photogallery + tagging + xmp
Hello, reading from different sources, tagging in vista's photogallery
should put the tags also in the xmp data inside the jpgs, however, it is not
happening on my pc

This is how it is:
-if i put tags in the image properties (right click/properties), the tags
get inserted into the xmp and i can see/use them in other computers/programs
-if i put tags in photogallery, the tags are not inserted into the xmp (only
in the photogallery database), thus not visible/usable in other
computers/programs
-if i tag in photogallery and the tag appear in the properties (still not
visible everywhere, windows must be retrieving the tag from the database),
if i add another tag in the properties, then both will be inserted in the
xmp

the files are not read only, my user is the owner, etcetera

any idea on what could be happening? it just seems that photogallery will
not add the tag in the xmp no matter what
is there an option somewhere or a registry setting which will force writing
the tags to the file?

John Inzer

Re: photogallery + tagging + xmp
Jume wrote:
> Hello, reading from different sources, tagging in vista's photogallery
> should put the tags also in the xmp data inside the jpgs, however, it
> is not happening on my pc
>
> This is how it is:
> -if i put tags in the image properties (right click/properties), the
> tags get inserted into the xmp and i can see/use them in other
> computers/programs -if i put tags in photogallery, the tags are not
> inserted into the xmp (only in the photogallery database), thus not
> visible/usable in other computers/programs
> -if i tag in photogallery and the tag appear in the properties (still
> not visible everywhere, windows must be retrieving the tag from the
> database), if i add another tag in the properties, then both will be
> inserted in the xmp
>
> the files are not read only, my user is the owner, etcetera
>
> any idea on what could be happening? it just seems that photogallery
> will not add the tag in the xmp no matter what
> is there an option somewhere or a registry setting which will force
> writing the tags to the file?

====================================
The following article says that some metadata may
be written to the database and will not be accessible
by other programs. I don't think you can change this
behavior.

Metadata and the Windows
Vista Photo Gallery
http://tinyurl.com/3994ha

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Jume

Re: photogallery + tagging + xmp
No, the very same article says that the metadata should be written to the
file unless it cannot be done by some specific issue. The only problem is
that i cannot identify the issue.

Jume

Re: photogallery + tagging + xmp
OK, it is working now, my bad in fact, i was too optimistic about the speed
of my pc (which is not fast for todays standards indeed), and i was tagging
thousands of files at the same time

for those who run in the same case just take in count that:

1.- photogallery will tag the pictures in the background, even if the tag
appears inmediately in the PG database, it should take a bit more to appear
in the xmp, more time the more files you tag
2.- if you close PG, the tagging will obviously stop (it is obvious now that
i know it takes its time), the next time you open PG, it will continue
tagging the rest of the files
3.- if you are unsure about the xmp being written into the file, let PG open
while you work in another thing, if, lets say, 1 hour after, the file is not
xmp-tagged, for sure PG cannot access the file to write the tag (or maybe
you tagged millions?? lol)

so, the key is TIME, which i didnt wait

sorry for the trouble and thanks for the help!