.wmv files wont play in wmp11?

Gary

.wmv files wont play in wmp11?
I just ran accross this problem. I can't seem to open or play any file with
..wmv

I get an error saying :

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the
file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

I tried other files and I get the same error.

How do I repair this?

How do I un-install / re-install The Media player in Vista?
Tak

RE: .wmv files wont play in wmp11?
Bumped this because I'm getting the same problem with Windows Media. Every
video plays fine except Windows Media videos. Encoding and playback fails
everytime in Vista Home Premium.

"Gary" wrote:

> I just ran accross this problem. I can't seem to open or play any file with
> .wmv
>
> I get an error saying :
>
> "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the
> file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."
>
> I tried other files and I get the same error.
>
> How do I repair this?
>
> How do I un-install / re-install The Media player in Vista?

Gary

RE: .wmv files wont play in wmp11?
Oddly enough the files play fine when dragged and dropped into windows movie
maker...

"Gary" wrote:

> I just ran accross this problem. I can't seem to open or play any file with
> .wmv
>
> I get an error saying :
>
> "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the
> file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."
>
> I tried other files and I get the same error.
>
> How do I repair this?
>
> How do I un-install / re-install The Media player in Vista?

Cal Bear '66

Re: .wmv files wont play in wmp11?
Have you tried to go to Control Panel > Default Programs and checked to see if
WMP has all of it's defaults?

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Oddly enough the files play fine when dragged and dropped into windows movie
> maker...
>

> "Gary" wrote:
>
>> I just ran accross this problem. I can't seem to open or play any file with
>> .wmv
>>
>> I get an error saying :
>>
>> "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the
>> file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."
>>
>> I tried other files and I get the same error.
>>
>> How do I repair this?
>>
>> How do I un-install / re-install The Media player in Vista?

Gary

Re: .wmv files wont play in wmp11?
I just tried that... still the same problem. It said it was the default
player, I went ahead and reset it to be default and no luck...

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Have you tried to go to Control Panel > Default Programs and checked to see if
> WMP has all of it's defaults?
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Oddly enough the files play fine when dragged and dropped into windows movie
> > maker...
> >

> > "Gary" wrote:
> >
> >> I just ran accross this problem. I can't seem to open or play any file with
> >> .wmv
> >>
> >> I get an error saying :
> >>
> >> "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the
> >> file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."
> >>
> >> I tried other files and I get the same error.
> >>
> >> How do I repair this?
> >>
> >> How do I un-install / re-install The Media player in Vista?

zachd [MSFT]

Re: .wmv files wont play in wmp11?

If you click the "Web Help" button on the error dialog, what URL does it
take you to?

--
Speaking for myself only.