Vista/Windows Media Player/SigmaTel Audio Driver ERROR

Frank

Vista/Windows Media Player/SigmaTel Audio Driver ERROR
Half-way through songs in Windows Media Player, the song "gitters" or "skips"
for a few seconds. This is very irritating.

The only positive information that I have is that Dell(not professionally
determined) mentioned that it is Window's Media Player is the only media
program that is delivering this error. However, Microsoft is saying that it
is Dell computers with the SigmaTel audio stuff that is incompatable with
Vista. I have SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC, and I think it is a
disgrace for a High Def audio system to give such a problem.

I have previously contacted Dell and Microsoft about this problem, and I was
simply checking to see if any progress has been made to correct this problem.
Driver Date: 1/12/2007, Driver Version: 6.10.0.5343, Digital Signer:
microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher.
Cal Bear '66

Re: Vista/Windows Media Player/SigmaTel Audio Driver ERROR
Have you gone to Control Panel > Sounds > Playback Devices, highlight Speakers,
Properties tab, and disabled all enhancements? This apparently works for many
users with Sigma Tel audio adapters.

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Half-way through songs in Windows Media Player, the song "gitters" or "skips"
> for a few seconds. This is very irritating.
>
> The only positive information that I have is that Dell(not professionally
> determined) mentioned that it is Window's Media Player is the only media
> program that is delivering this error. However, Microsoft is saying that it
> is Dell computers with the SigmaTel audio stuff that is incompatable with
> Vista. I have SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC, and I think it is a
> disgrace for a High Def audio system to give such a problem.
>
> I have previously contacted Dell and Microsoft about this problem, and I was
> simply checking to see if any progress has been made to correct this problem.
> Driver Date: 1/12/2007, Driver Version: 6.10.0.5343, Digital Signer:
> microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher.

Piper

"Frank" wrote:

> Half-way through songs in Windows Media Player, the song "gitters" or "skips"
> for a few seconds. This is very irritating.
>
> The only positive information that I have is that Dell(not professionally
> determined) mentioned that it is Window's Media Player is the only media
> program that is delivering this error. However, Microsoft is saying that it
> is Dell computers with the SigmaTel audio stuff that is incompatable with
> Vista. I have SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC, and I think it is a
> disgrace for a High Def audio system to give such a problem.
>
> I have previously contacted Dell and Microsoft about this problem, and I was
> simply checking to see if any progress has been made to correct this problem.
> Driver Date: 1/12/2007, Driver Version: 6.10.0.5343, Digital Signer:
> microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher.

Piper

RE: Vista/Windows Media Player/SigmaTel Audio Driver ERROR
I have had the exact same problems with little "skips". I also have Vista
and the same version of Sigma Tel. Did you ever hear back from Microsoft?
Is there a patch? I tried Cal's suggestion and it did nothing for me.

"Frank" wrote:

> Half-way through songs in Windows Media Player, the song "gitters" or "skips"
> for a few seconds. This is very irritating.
>
> The only positive information that I have is that Dell(not professionally
> determined) mentioned that it is Window's Media Player is the only media
> program that is delivering this error. However, Microsoft is saying that it
> is Dell computers with the SigmaTel audio stuff that is incompatable with
> Vista. I have SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC, and I think it is a
> disgrace for a High Def audio system to give such a problem.
>
> I have previously contacted Dell and Microsoft about this problem, and I was
> simply checking to see if any progress has been made to correct this problem.
> Driver Date: 1/12/2007, Driver Version: 6.10.0.5343, Digital Signer:
> microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher.

Adam Albright

Re: Vista/Windows Media Player/SigmaTel Audio Driver ERROR
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:13:01 -0700, Piper
<Piper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have had the exact same problems with little "skips". I also have Vista
>and the same version of Sigma Tel. Did you ever hear back from Microsoft?
>Is there a patch? I tried Cal's suggestion and it did nothing for me.

I would begin by "looking" at the audio file. Open it in Audacity.
(free) This is a powerful audio tool EVERYBODY should have.

Zoom in on the timeline to check the waveform. You're looking for
"flat" sports when the waveform is totally flat or has very tiny
peaks. See if Audacity plays the file all the way through correctly
without any skips or pops. If it does, then the fault probably lies
with Media Player. If there are annoying pops or something obviously
wrong in the file you can easily repair them within Audacity.

As a bonus you can often greatly improve the quality and add all kinds
of enhancements with Audacity. While not in quite in the same league
as professional grade tools like Vegas or Acid, you still can do a lot
of things like adjust gain, alter how song plays in left or right
channel, remove noise, control changes more precisely with an
envelope, apply filters, change pitch, time stretch, etc.. Well worth
the download time which if you have broadband is under 30 seconds.

Quick tip. If you try it, remember to select all or part of the
timeline before selecting effects otherwise most remain grayed out.
You also need to stop play if you already started.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Vista/Windows Media Player/SigmaTel Audio Driver ERROR

Did you follow both the steps here - update the driver and then turn off
Enhancements... ?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Piper" <Piper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have had the exact same problems with little "skips". I also have Vista
> and the same version of Sigma Tel. Did you ever hear back from Microsoft?
> Is there a patch? I tried Cal's suggestion and it did nothing for me.
>
> "Frank" wrote:
>
>> Half-way through songs in Windows Media Player, the song "gitters" or
>> "skips"
>> for a few seconds. This is very irritating.
>>
>> The only positive information that I have is that Dell(not professionally
>> determined) mentioned that it is Window's Media Player is the only media
>> program that is delivering this error. However, Microsoft is saying that
>> it
>> is Dell computers with the SigmaTel audio stuff that is incompatable with
>> Vista. I have SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC, and I think it is a
>> disgrace for a High Def audio system to give such a problem.
>>
>> I have previously contacted Dell and Microsoft about this problem, and I
>> was
>> simply checking to see if any progress has been made to correct this
>> problem.
>> Driver Date: 1/12/2007, Driver Version: 6.10.0.5343, Digital Signer:
>> microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher.

adrian

Re: Vista/Windows Media Player/SigmaTel Audio Driver ERROR
Thanks Cal - that worked a treat for me

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Have you gone to Control Panel > Sounds > Playback Devices, highlight Speakers,
> Properties tab, and disabled all enhancements? This apparently works for many
> users with Sigma Tel audio adapters.
>

> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Half-way through songs in Windows Media Player, the song "gitters" or "skips"
> > for a few seconds. This is very irritating.
> >
> > The only positive information that I have is that Dell(not professionally
> > determined) mentioned that it is Window's Media Player is the only media
> > program that is delivering this error. However, Microsoft is saying that it
> > is Dell computers with the SigmaTel audio stuff that is incompatable with
> > Vista. I have SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC, and I think it is a
> > disgrace for a High Def audio system to give such a problem.
> >
> > I have previously contacted Dell and Microsoft about this problem, and I was
> > simply checking to see if any progress has been made to correct this problem.
> > Driver Date: 1/12/2007, Driver Version: 6.10.0.5343, Digital Signer:
> > microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher.

Cal Bear '66

Re: Vista/Windows Media Player/SigmaTel Audio Driver ERROR
Excellent! Glad it worked for you.

You should frequently check for Sigma Tel audio adapter driver updates to
finally fix this problem.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Cal - that worked a treat for me
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Have you gone to Control Panel > Sounds > Playback Devices, highlight
>> Speakers,
>> Properties tab, and disabled all enhancements? This apparently works for
>> many
>> users with Sigma Tel audio adapters.
>>

>> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Half-way through songs in Windows Media Player, the song "gitters" or
>> > "skips"
>> > for a few seconds. This is very irritating.
>> >
>> > The only positive information that I have is that Dell(not professionally
>> > determined) mentioned that it is Window's Media Player is the only media
>> > program that is delivering this error. However, Microsoft is saying that
>> > it
>> > is Dell computers with the SigmaTel audio stuff that is incompatable with
>> > Vista. I have SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC, and I think it is a
>> > disgrace for a High Def audio system to give such a problem.
>> >
>> > I have previously contacted Dell and Microsoft about this problem, and I
>> > was
>> > simply checking to see if any progress has been made to correct this
>> > problem.
>> > Driver Date: 1/12/2007, Driver Version: 6.10.0.5343, Digital Signer:
>> > microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Vista/Windows Media Player/SigmaTel Audio Driver ERROR

Please please please also ask Dell what's up on this. This should
definitely be in their recommended updates if they're still going to ship
that driver. =(

--
Speaking for myself only.
"adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Cal - that worked a treat for me
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Have you gone to Control Panel > Sounds > Playback Devices, highlight
>> Speakers,
>> Properties tab, and disabled all enhancements? This apparently works for
>> many
>> users with Sigma Tel audio adapters.
>>

>> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Half-way through songs in Windows Media Player, the song "gitters" or
>> > "skips"
>> > for a few seconds. This is very irritating.
>> >
>> > The only positive information that I have is that Dell(not
>> > professionally
>> > determined) mentioned that it is Window's Media Player is the only
>> > media
>> > program that is delivering this error. However, Microsoft is saying
>> > that it
>> > is Dell computers with the SigmaTel audio stuff that is incompatable
>> > with
>> > Vista. I have SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC, and I think it is
>> > disgrace for a High Def audio system to give such a problem.
>> >
>> > I have previously contacted Dell and Microsoft about this problem, and
>> > I was
>> > simply checking to see if any progress has been made to correct this
>> > problem.
>> > Driver Date: 1/12/2007, Driver Version: 6.10.0.5343, Digital Signer:
>> > microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher.

Rod

Re: Vista/Windows Media Player/SigmaTel Audio Driver ERROR
I have a Dell, running Vista, with the damned Sigma thang, I have Acid 7.0
and the music projects sound just fine when I play on Acid itself, as well
when I play CDs or MP3 whether with Winamp, WMP they sound just fine. The
problem is when I record my projects within acid and the I play them on any
of the previously mentioned programs, they sound aweful and it picks up
external sounds like me clapping or just the street noises. I also tried
recording with i-sound and is the same sh**. So the problem is the recording.
Can anyone tell me if they have experienced a similar problem and how they've
overcome it??? I very much appreciate it.
PS: I did call Dell support (Asia-Pacific, as Im in Australia) no one could
help me.