Uninstall Windows Media Player 11 on Vista

Soul Reversal

Uninstall Windows Media Player 11 on Vista
Does anyone know how to do this? I have tried the standard appwiz.cpl and
show installed updates and windows services but cannot find anywhere to
remove the app? I want to remove and re-install due to the player blue
screening my box every 30 mins when watching any movie or playing music. Can
anyone guide me in the right direction? Many thanks in advance. G.
Adam Albright

Re: Uninstall Windows Media Player 11 on Vista
On Mon, 28 May 2007 02:23:02 -0700, Soul Reversal <Soul
Reversal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know how to do this? I have tried the standard appwiz.cpl and
>show installed updates and windows services but cannot find anywhere to
>remove the app? I want to remove and re-install due to the player blue
>screening my box every 30 mins when watching any movie or playing music. Can
>anyone guide me in the right direction? Many thanks in advance. G.

You can't because in Microsoft's "wisdom" they incorporated Media
Player into the operating system itself. So they only way to "fix" WMP
is to reinstall Vista or attempt to repair it. There is such a utility
on the Vista DVD. A less drastic step would be to try rolling back to
one of your restore points which may fix things. However if WMP always
gave you blue screens of death I doubt that will help.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Uninstall Windows Media Player 11 on Vista

No, what you are trying to do is not possible.

You would need to focus on solving the problem. If it's blue-screening, is
there any data about that crash in the Problem Reports and Solutions center?

Is there a BIOS update available? The only real blue-screen I've heard
about it in this context was due to a BIOS issue.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Soul Reversal" <Soul Reversal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to do this? I have tried the standard appwiz.cpl and
> show installed updates and windows services but cannot find anywhere to
> remove the app? I want to remove and re-install due to the player blue
> screening my box every 30 mins when watching any movie or playing music.
> Can
> anyone guide me in the right direction? Many thanks in advance. G.

123simplename

Re: Uninstall Windows Media Player 11 on Vista

I'd just like to know how to fix it. I play fallout 3 and I don't hear
any voices when i talk to people! Not to mention if I have WMP11 choosen
as my default video player, all I hear are voices, the player doesn't
even show on screen or toolbar! I use FRAPS, maybe that's the fault for
the latter, but I'd like to know how to associate .ogg files with the
player. I'm not very skilled at using this *ehm* great *cough cough*
player. *clear my throat*

--
123simplename
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Uninstall Windows Media Player 11 on Vista

Sounds like something started it up under the wrong context. Do you have
some device attached to the system... ?

It's probably present under Task Manger's Processes tab if you click Show
Processes From All Users.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"123simplename" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I'd just like to know how to fix it. I play fallout 3 and I don't hear
> any voices when i talk to people! Not to mention if I have WMP11 choosen
> as my default video player, all I hear are voices, the player doesn't
> even show on screen or toolbar! I use FRAPS, maybe that's the fault for
> the latter, but I'd like to know how to associate .ogg files with the
> player. I'm not very skilled at using this *ehm* great *cough cough*
> player. *clear my throat*
>

> --
> 123simplename

lcipir

Re: Uninstall Windows Media Player 11 on Vista

Thank you for ending my search so I can focus on the problem now. Too
bad microsoft can't man up and post this for us to find..

Can't we class action against stupid software like this with no removal
process? I'm so tired of this company costing me hours of time. My
business would be much further ahead if problems like this were at least
reasonably fixable (some of my main work now is streaming - thank god
I'm switching to a flash stream this week!).. My problem seems a little
different than most - plays audio, just no video. I found a set of
codec drivers that if I reboot then install then reboot again, I can get
all to work until my pc hibernates or i shut it down.. then it's all
over.. I would be hosed if I didn't have 5 pc's but this is my
main one!

--
lcipir
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Uninstall Windows Media Player 11 on Vista

I don't see how uninstalling/reinstalling the Player (functionality added in
Windows 7) would help with this?

Given that you're having "no video" problems, that sounds like a glitched
video card driver that touching the player would never be able to affect. =\

Does upgrading your video card driver to a newer version from the vendor
help? =)

--
Speaking for myself only.
"lcipir" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Thank you for ending my search so I can focus on the problem now. Too
> bad microsoft can't man up and post this for us to find..
>
> Can't we class action against stupid software like this with no removal
> process? I'm so tired of this company costing me hours of time. My
> business would be much further ahead if problems like this were at least
> reasonably fixable (some of my main work now is streaming - thank god
> I'm switching to a flash stream this week!).. My problem seems a little
> different than most - plays audio, just no video. I found a set of
> codec drivers that if I reboot then install then reboot again, I can get
> all to work until my pc hibernates or i shut it down.. then it's all
> over.. I would be hosed if I didn't have 5 pc's but this is my
> main one!
>

> --
> lcipir

lcipir

Re: Uninstall Windows Media Player 11 on Vista

Na, not video card problems I don't think. Seems to only effect windows
media player. The codec drivers i found weren't even from microsoft..
They prob aren't the fix, but It's a stupid work around like always with
microsoft.
and I never said I uninstalled and re-stalled the player. From this
thread, I thought we established that isn't possible??

This is definetly a windows media player and windows problem. It's
really dumb there is no uninstall for media player 11 on vista.

--
lcipir
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Uninstall Windows Media Player 11 on Vista

If you really think that uninstalling/reinstalling would solve this, do
this:
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#reinstallvista

It would probably be a waste of time though. People often get fixated upon
that as a solution, but it's usually a distraction - kind of the "have you
tried turning it off and on" school of troubleshooting. =)

> Na, not video card problems I don't think. Seems to only effect windows
> media player. The codec drivers i found weren't even from microsoft..

Yeah, it's pretty common due to how this works that video card driver
problems would only affect one player. It's when it affects everybody that
it's easy to notice/fix.

What video card? What driver version?

> They prob aren't the fix, but It's a stupid work around like always with
> microsoft.

It's not necessarily a workaround if there's actually a bug in that driver.
It's not like Microsoft is the only company in the world that could
potentially have a bug in their software. It's an ecosystem, and it's very
important to make sure that each aspect is functioning properly.
Heck, I've almost made more contributions to the Windows ecosystem by
helping fix *third party software* than I have at times working on Microsoft
code. All that software is in this together. =)

> and I never said I uninstalled and re-stalled the player. From this
> thread, I thought we established that isn't possible??

Correct. And probably useless contextually, given that it's a video display
issue which is a problem that would be from a lower level than the player.

> This is definetly a windows media player and windows problem. It's
> really dumb there is no uninstall for media player 11 on vista.

The servicing stack in Windows Vista was new, and so tweaking major
components such as WMP to be uninstallable/reinstallable is a bunch of work.
This feature is present in Windows 7.

--
Speaking for myself only.

Tae Song

Re: Uninstall Windows Media Player 11 on Vista

"123simplename" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I'd just like to know how to fix it. I play fallout 3 and I don't hear
> any voices when i talk to people! Not to mention if I have WMP11 choosen

Windows Media Player doesn't have anything to do with Fallout 3. You might
want to upgrade your audio drivers or even upgrade to a decent audio
hardware.

> as my default video player, all I hear are voices, the player doesn't
> even show on screen or toolbar! I use FRAPS, maybe that's the fault for

This means you only have the decoder for audio. You need to go find the
video decode commonly refer to as video codec.

> the latter, but I'd like to know how to associate .ogg files with the
> player. I'm not very skilled at using this *ehm* great *cough cough*
> player. *clear my throat*
>

> --
> 123simplename

The problem isn't the player, it's the user.